KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Stars & Celebrities » Greatest Actor of the 20th century?

Who is the greatest actor of the 20th century?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Marlon Brando 3 16.67%
Jimmy Cagney 0 0%
Charlie Chaplin 1 5.56%
Humphrey Bogart 2 11.11%
Sir Laurence Olivier 1 5.56%
Spencer Tracey 0 0%
Henry Fonda 0 0%
James Stewart 1 5.56%
Gary Cooper 0 0%
Other 10 55.56%
Total: 18 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Greatest Actor of the 20th century?
Started by: Jedi Priestess

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
~JP~
yeah baby

Question Greatest Actor of the 20th century?

I was wondering who some of the more serious movie buffs here would consider the best actor (not actress) of the 20th century? I know I probably missed some so feel free to check the other box and type in your answer. Please try to just pick one if you have to chose the other box.

This was hard for me but I chose Bogie wink

*******NOTE********
Please dont list Ashton Kutcher, Orlando Bloom, Johnny Depp or the like. Thats just insulting to the great male actors of the last century as these guys are pretty much still starting out.

Last edited by ~JP~ on Nov 9th, 2004 at 05:06 AM

Old Post Nov 9th, 2004 04:58 AM
~JP~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
D-Double
.. and some junk

Morgan Freeman

Oh Sweat!

Old Post Nov 9th, 2004 05:28 AM
D-Double is currently offline Click here to Send D-Double a Private Message Find more posts by D-Double Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

If I had to pick one, then i'll go for Al Pacino.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Nov 9th, 2004 05:30 AM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

Well - I'm going to assume from the list you mean "movie actor" rather than stage?

I'd add Paul Newman, Dustin Hoffman, Gene Hackman and Sidney Poitier to that list to name but a few... But only out of respect for the also rans - no matter who our personal favourites are: it's Brando at the top of the heap.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2004 05:33 AM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

Yeah I know, there were alot to choose from, but the poll only lets you list 10 so I went with the AFI's listing. smile And yes I meant movie actors.

Last edited by ~JP~ on Nov 9th, 2004 at 06:05 AM

Old Post Nov 9th, 2004 06:02 AM
~JP~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BadKitty
cockeyed

I picked other..because I consider Gary Oldman and Al Pacino the best actors ever..they can pull of very versatile roles.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2004 06:22 AM
BadKitty is currently offline Click here to Send BadKitty a Private Message Find more posts by BadKitty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

Pacino and DeNiro

Old Post Nov 9th, 2004 10:05 AM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

I understand where you guys are going with Pacino & Co. but somehow I dont think they've achieved the level of greatness of say Bogart, Cagney or Brando yet.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2004 06:40 PM
mmmmoley

I think it depends who you grow up watching!!? Personally the actors that I count as Great Actors are: Johnny Depp, John Travolta, Sandra Bullock, Adam Sandler + Drew Barrymore! Purely coz I grew up watching movies with those people in them. Yeah, I give Pacino credit n stuff, but I've only watched one of his films, so I'm not gonna say his my Greatest Actor just coz he's so poular! Does that make sence??

Old Post Nov 9th, 2004 07:10 PM
mmmmoley is currently offline Click here to Send mmmmoley a Private Message Find more posts by mmmmoley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Voted for other:

Buster Keaton

Old Post Nov 9th, 2004 07:26 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

Yes it makes perfect sense. But I am speaking of actors up until and including 1999. So some of these guys wouldnt really qualify as they are still either just getting warmed up or are working at their craft. All of the actors on my list have passed away to be sure. But in their day and time they were every bit as popular as Pacino et al.

I thought about Buster Keaton but ran out of spaces. sad

Old Post Nov 9th, 2004 10:10 PM
matchbox

anthony hopkins and morgan freeman, both classy actors

Old Post Nov 9th, 2004 10:14 PM
matchbox is currently offline Click here to Send matchbox a Private Message Find more posts by matchbox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillTheLight
=bound by wild desire=

Robert Deniro and Gary Oldman

This afternoon with you was something like a letter
The kind that someone writes but never sends

Old Post Nov 9th, 2004 10:33 PM
KillTheLight is currently offline Click here to Send KillTheLight a Private Message Find more posts by KillTheLight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bakerboy

From the list, althought there are many important absenses, i vote Brando.

John Lennon, Musical genius of all time

Helen Mirren and Julie Christie , most lovely british actresses of all time.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2004 10:40 PM
bakerboy is currently offline Click here to Send bakerboy a Private Message Find more posts by bakerboy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

I put in my vote for Laurence Olivier because he is in fact considered by most the best actors in hollywood ever to be the greatest actor of all time just in cast you were not aware of that Jedi.Just thought you might find that interesting is why I mention that. smile

Old Post Nov 10th, 2004 02:57 AM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

i think johnny depp is one of the greatest already, he does an amazing job with every character even in bad movies, christopher walken is also amazing

Old Post Nov 10th, 2004 03:00 AM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Coley

Gary Oldman

Old Post Nov 10th, 2004 10:00 PM
Coley is currently offline Click here to Send Coley a Private Message Find more posts by Coley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote