KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Why do people like Halo that much?

Why do people like Halo that much?
Started by: LeAtHerRFace

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
LeAtHerRFace
Founder Of Fight Club

Why do people like Halo that much?

Its okay as a FPS. It sucks on the pc, but better on the Xbox. Its nothing compared to the other FPS games out there. Battlefield, Farcry, Doom 3, Unreal Tournament 2004, etc.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 12:17 AM
LeAtHerRFace is currently offline Click here to Send LeAtHerRFace a Private Message Find more posts by LeAtHerRFace Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lightningrod
gay o' time

Halo is a good FPS multiplayer game...

I suppose that is why people like it so much

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 12:21 AM
Lightningrod is currently offline Click here to Send Lightningrod a Private Message Find more posts by Lightningrod Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LeAtHerRFace
Founder Of Fight Club

oh blink

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 12:22 AM
LeAtHerRFace is currently offline Click here to Send LeAtHerRFace a Private Message Find more posts by LeAtHerRFace Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lightningrod
gay o' time

yeah you are right about Doom 3 being better then Haloyes

not sure about the other games you have mentioned

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 12:24 AM
Lightningrod is currently offline Click here to Send Lightningrod a Private Message Find more posts by Lightningrod Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LeAtHerRFace
Founder Of Fight Club

have you played any of the other games?

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 12:26 AM
Lightningrod
gay o' time

I have played an Unreal Tournament..but not the one you mentioned

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 12:35 AM
LeAtHerRFace
Founder Of Fight Club

you gotta try the one i mentioned. its awesome!

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 12:44 AM
MC Mike
Voice of the Voiceless

Yea, UT2004 is a lot like Halo, with the vehicles and all, and yes, it is better. Doom 3? Doom 3 kicks its ass so bad I feel sorry for it. stick out tongue Battlefield and Farcry are also as good as Halo, if not better. But for some reason, people tend to cling to one game, and once they do, change isn't quick. I know way too many poeple that are addicted to Starcraft and just don't play other games. erm

A posse ad esse.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 12:54 AM
MC Mike is currently offline Click here to Send MC Mike a Private Message Find more posts by MC Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LeAtHerRFace
Founder Of Fight Club

Exactly, well said yes

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 12:55 AM
cal31
Let's Win Twins

I'll reverse the question, why do so many hate on Halo? Because it's like the yankees in baseball, it's the best there is so people bash it, things that are that good will always get bashed. Halo had some of the best graphics on a console up until then, the multiplayer mode was the best ever, period, the story was very good, unlike most other fps, had a unique style to every part of the game, and had one of the best control setups for a fps ever. In many fps reviews since halo, when describing the controls, they base them off of the Halo controls, just proving how smooth and perfect everything works. It's the combined product that blows most every other game in it's genre away.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 01:14 AM
cal31 is currently offline Click here to Send cal31 a Private Message Find more posts by cal31 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MC Mike
Voice of the Voiceless

Well then, here's my answer to that stick out tongue :

A) I don't hate Halo, and yes, I know a lot of people do.

B) It DID set a lot of the things seen in games today, and it WAS great in his time.

BUT - now it is DEFINETLY NOT the best game out there, and although it's still a bit fun, there are better games, and people should now go on to better ones. erm

A posse ad esse.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 01:24 AM
MC Mike is currently offline Click here to Send MC Mike a Private Message Find more posts by MC Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

Re: Why do people like Halo that much?

quote:
Originally posted by LeAtHerRFace
Its okay as a FPS. It sucks on the pc, but better on the Xbox. Its nothing compared to the other FPS games out there. Battlefield, Farcry, Doom 3, Unreal Tournament 2004, etc.

Ok, Halo came out in what....2001?

Doom came out 3 weeks ago, unreal came out this year, Farcry...this year. And Battlefield was like, late last year or something.

On PC, Halo kicks more ass than it does on Xbox....you just need a good enough computer to run it right.

How are you even going to try and compare a left thumbstick to a mouse when it comes to aiming????

Halo's multiplayer online is also much more efficient than most of those titles when it comes to hosting online games.

I spent all last night playing around with their multiplayer. I can host a 16 player game, LAG FREE, while still playing the game. No dedicated server required.

-Doom 3 doesn't have Vehicles.
-FarCry's vehicles SUCK bad.
-Unreal has some cool vehicles, but that game is tooooooo fast for it's own good.
-Battlefield has killer vehicles, but there is the slight down side of it being an old school war game.

Last edited by Linkalicious on Aug 25th, 2004 at 01:49 AM

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 01:44 AM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Halo is hugely over rated. People seem to give it credit for creating the whole vehicular aspect of the multiplayer game, this is however, wrong.

Credit for the creation of vehicular multiplayer modes should go to Tribes, which did it years before Halo.

Everything else halo does is pretty typical, nothing out of the ordinary. It's a good game, but I think it pales when compared to some of the top PC shooters, such as the original Half Life.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 04:06 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

i prefer Rogue squadren, medal of honor, half life, call to arms, kill switch and the gran daddy of FPS AvP 2 (i say this because i havent gotten to experience doom yet) over halo. I have always thought halo was over rated crap All it ever was, was pretty colors, with nice guns, and bad ass sound effects. I thought red faction achieved what halo failed to do, and that is a nice Fps with new angles, and also has a consistant story. Shit even Run like hell was a funner play for me than halo was.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 04:17 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Halo's a lot of fun to play against friends yes pretty good party game, actually. Or so I think.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 04:23 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

CS kickes halo's ass to hell.
and that was out YEARS ago.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 04:36 AM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cal31
Let's Win Twins

you know it's just so funny to hear people say "Halo is so overated, it sucks, blah, blah." First of all, if it's so horrible, how come on virtually every place you look it's got some of the best reviews for a game there is. How come when someone mentions Halo nowadays, they think of Halo the game. How come Halo 2 is already the best selling game, has had ads in movie theaters unlike any game before? I guess it's just because it's a typical game that sucks. Hmmmmm....

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 06:09 AM
cal31 is currently offline Click here to Send cal31 a Private Message Find more posts by cal31 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cal31
Let's Win Twins

quote:
Originally posted by Tptmanno1
CS kickes halo's ass to hell.
and that was out YEARS ago.

and if Halo is typical, what did Cs do so much better than any other game? Did it have great graphics, no, did it have a great story line, no, did it add anything new to gaming, no. It's an opinion which is better, but from a technical standpoint, no CS does not " kickes halo's ass to hell". laughing

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 06:12 AM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Halo didn't do anything new either, it just took the basic aspects of other FPS games and combined them.

Also, the only reason Halo is popular is because it's primarily a console game, and there are very few good console shooters. I won't deny that compared to console shooters, Halo is gold. But it's when you compare it to PC FPS games, it falls short of some of the greats.

Also, about CS, CS actually did more new things then Halo did. It was the first game that combined both traditional action FPS aspects and traditional strategy FPS aspects. It was strategic, and fast paced and fun. And yes, it had great graphics for it's time. Halo, on the other hand....

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 06:39 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cal31
Let's Win Twins

Halo had some of the best graphics of it's time, had the best AI in a game to date, had the best controls for a console FPS. CS was not the first to do that. The Rainbow Six series did that long before CS. Plus Cs was basically an add on to Half Life.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 06:50 AM