KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Most Durable Console.

Most Durable Console.
Started by: Robo-Chocobo

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Robo-Chocobo

Most Durable Console.

I was watching X-play, and they had a Console durability test.

They drop a 10 pound weight on the X-box, ps2, and gamecube.

then they hit it in the side with a sledge hammer.

then they drop them from a 2 story building.

Fist in the 10 pound test, they

dropped a weight on the ps2. It got a large crack/dent in the middle of it over the logo.

X-box: the weight left a small scuff mark on the green circle.

Gamecube: the weight left a EXTREMELY tiny scuff on the black circle, and popped off one of the removable plastic covers on the bottom.

Survivors of round 1: they then plugged in all 3 consols to see if they work still.

Ps2: failed to boot up. couldn't even turn on or provide an image.

X-box: booted up perfectly.

Gamecube: booted up perfectly.

ROUND 2: Sledge hammer of death.

X-box: slide like a hockey puck for 4-5 feet, and spun a little. no obvious damage.

Gamecube: skidded about 5 feet, then fell on it's side. another 1 of the removable plastic covers fell of.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2005 01:07 AM
Robo-Chocobo is currently offline Click here to Send Robo-Chocobo a Private Message Find more posts by Robo-Chocobo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robo-Chocobo

Final verdict of round 2:

X-box: booted up perfectly.

Gamecube: that purple start up cube rendered it's self perfectly.

ROUND 3: DROP OF TERROR!! final round.

X-box: fell down and landed hard. the enite front edge where the controllers+ the power buttons are popped off, leaving a whiteplastic where it was.

Gamecube: fell down, bounced half a foot. lid popped open.

final verdict....

X-box: because the power buttons popped off entirely, their was no way to start the console.

Gamecube: after the lid was forced shut, the power button pushed...

a purple cube was rendered.

WE HAVE A WINNER!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Happy Dance ~GameCube~ Happy Dance
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile...in backroom.....

Man with a sledge hammer.: BAD PS2, BAD X-box *smash* *smash* smash* *crack*

Old Post Jan 14th, 2005 01:13 AM
Robo-Chocobo is currently offline Click here to Send Robo-Chocobo a Private Message Find more posts by Robo-Chocobo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robo-Chocobo

Anyone else have some amazing console survival stories, like a gameboy being dropped in a pool, or a dreamcast being stepped on?

Old Post Jan 14th, 2005 01:14 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Of course the Cube won. Nintendo makes those things last for years.
I do have a crazy story.
NES era, it was christmas and i got a pack full of lifesavers. I had one in my mouth. A game wouldnt work, so i blew in it. Well, the lifesaver shoots out and lands at the very back of the console, covering the whole port with chunks of sticky lifesaver. I put the game in and it worked and continues to work this day with the lifesaver in it.
And i've had the original Gameboy that i bought in the first month it was released, and it still works just the same.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2005 01:46 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

Yay! The Gamecube won the durability wars!! Happy Dance

Well guess what? Who the Friar f*** cares! evil face

Gamecube lost the only war that mattered. The console wars.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2005 01:51 AM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

There was no competition. It was something interesting to know about.
(Pssshhh Robo-Chocobo, i think Draco works for Sony. But dont tell him. And remember whisper when you talk about him ok?)

Old Post Jan 14th, 2005 02:01 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rhino
Red is the new black

exactly, but nintendo has a good reason for the durability of their consoles, they need to make it durable incase their fans step on the console, nintendo cant risk the cube getting broken...cuz then the kids bigger brother might buy a ps2 or xbox

Old Post Jan 14th, 2005 02:02 AM
Rhino is currently offline Click here to Send Rhino a Private Message Find more posts by Rhino Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

To Sama-Adian:

You've found me out. I'm a secret agent who works for Sony under the Department called D. A. N. F. ( Destroy all Nintendo Fanboys.) My mission is to browse this forum and dissuade Nintendo fanboys like Robo-Chocobo from buying Nintendo ever again. Nintendo is HUGE threat Sony. God knows knows what dastardly plans they're thinking up. EVERYONE knows that Mario Party 732 was FAR more popular than Grand Thefo Auto: Vice City. How can we ever hope to compete against such a menace!? Dear God, I say we are fighting a losing battle. Everyone has a Gamecube! It's MUCH more popular than PS2.

Puh-lease! Forgive me if this post is postively dripping with sarcasm. I admit I like PS2 better than Gamecube. But by no means am I against Nintendo. I just wish Nintendo would get their act together and start producing better games and better systems.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2005 02:34 AM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robo-Chocobo

(psss samus-adian I think He thinks I hate sony)

I've had a nintendo product in my house since I was 5.

I remember playing mario, zelda, and megaman 5 on my nes.

I remember my awsome SNES, wtih super mario RPG, mega man X, donkey kong, street fighter 2, and mario kart

I still play my N64 with ocarina of time, perfect dark, harvest moon, and majoras mask.

I have the original gameboy, scuff marks and all. it was passed down from my bro. I turned his meager 5 games into a 30+ collection.
I bought a gameboy color, and all it's great games. I bought an advanced, and I've bought a DS.

It's something you wouldn't understand Draco69.

it's called brand loyalty.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2005 02:40 AM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Nintendo's always made the most durable systems.

Once I heard a story about some kid who accidentally left his Super Nintendo (I think) outside all winter long, it was buried in snow the whole time. The kid forgot what happened to it and considered it lost.

Well, after winter ended he went outside and saw his SNES sitting in his backyard or wherever it was. He brought it inside, turned it on, and it worked perfectly.

Also I've heard numerous stories about Nintendo consoles falling out of 2nd and 3rd story windows and still working afterwards.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2005 02:45 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

(Pss. Hey Samas. You too Robo. Guess what? Whispering is kinda ineffective on forum. And yes, Robo. You obviously have a bias against PS2. It says so under your bloody Avatar for God's sake!

Brand loyalty? More like product obsession.

(And I LOVED Ocarina of Time. Wind Maker sucked. The entire game was riding on boat. Which was fun. For about 10 minutes. Then it became irritating)

Old Post Jan 14th, 2005 02:46 AM
BackFire

"(And I LOVED Ocarina of Time. Wind Maker sucked. The entire game was riding on boat. Which was fun. For about 10 minutes. Then it became irritating)"

Right, that's about as accurate as someone claiming that GTA is nothing but driving a car around a town over and over again.

There is MUCH more to Windwaker then "riding on a boat". There were these things called dungeons that took up a good chunk of gameplay, not to mention all the hidden treasures available and what not.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2005 02:51 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

To BackFire:

GTA *IS* nothing more than driving around town over and over again. I hate the game.

I just felt that Wind Waker was vastly inferior to Ocarina of Time. I was very disappointed. The dungeons were too easy to solve. The bosses were too easy to defeat. And the treasure hunting mostly consisted of finding a map that shows the location of a map that shows the location of a treasure. The boat-riding was irritating for me because I had to travel back and forth between islands. An average trip takes about 3 minutes.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2005 02:56 AM
BackFire

quote:
Originally posted by Draco69
To BackFire:

GTA *IS* nothing more than driving around town over and over again. I hate the game.

I just felt that Wind Waker was vastly inferior to Ocarina of Time. I was very disappointed. The dungeons were too easy to solve. The bosses were too easy to defeat. And the treasure hunting mostly consisted of finding a map that shows the location of a map that shows the location of a treasure. The boat-riding was irritating for me because I had to travel back and forth between islands. An average trip takes about 3 minutes.

GTA is much more then driving around town over and over again. There is much to do, such as finding hidden items, gambling (in SA anyways) doing the quests, killing people, walking, riding bikes, getting new "threads" and simply killing people and simply raising hell, not to mention the many other minigames I can't even think of right now. GTA probably has the most variety of any game ever released. The freedom and options of how to play that game is mind boggling.

Now, was that explanation of why you disliked WW so bad? Giving valid reasons as to why you dislike something is much nicer then giving an invalid and blatantly false analogy of a game as a negative.

For the record, I also liked Ocarina of Time better then WW, and I too wasn't a big fan of the boating aspect of the game. So I actually agree with you there.

Last edited by BackFire on Jan 14th, 2005 at 03:03 AM

Old Post Jan 14th, 2005 03:00 AM
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

To BackFire:

We like and dislike different aspects of different games. It's a fact. It's fruitless debating about valid and invalid reasons to like or dislike a game because we have different tastes. Something bitter to you may be something sweet to you. It's like trying to create a "valid" argument on why ketchup is better than mustard. There is no right or wrong answer.

I didn't like GTA for some reason. Perhaps it was the story. Or maybe it was the controls. Or maybe I had this closeted ethics thing going on. For whatever reason, I simply did not like the game. But that doesn't stop me from recognizing that GTA is an extremely good game that revolutionized the gaming industry.

For me Oot was much better than WW. It had a better story, It had a better combat system, etc. The boating thing really threw me off. You had to change the wind direction countless times. But overall WW was enjoyable. I just hope the new Zelda is much better. No boats! Just Epona!

Old Post Jan 14th, 2005 03:12 AM
BackFire

"We like and dislike different aspects of different games. It's a fact. It's fruitless debating about valid and invalid reasons to like or dislike a game because we have different tastes. Something bitter to you may be something sweet to you. It's like trying to create a "valid" argument on why ketchup is better than mustard. There is no right or wrong answer."

No, but there is still valid and invalid arguments pertaining to opinions. Saying you don't like Ketchup because it's colored blue is invalid because it's false. Just as your statement of "The entire game was riding on a boat" is invalid because it's factually wrong. The ENTIRE game does not involve riding around on a boat. There are other things in the game besides riding on a boat. That is one aspect of the game, not the whole game. I never said YOU were wrong for disliking WW, I said your original statement as to why you disliked it was wrong because there is more to the game then riding on a boat. However, the next post you gave good, solid and respectable reasons as to why you dislike the game.

"I didn't like GTA for some reason. Perhaps it was the story. Or maybe it was the controls. Or maybe I had this closeted ethics thing going on. For whatever reason, I simply did not like the game. But that doesn't stop me from recognizing that GTA is an extremely good game that revolutionized the gaming industry."

Agreed, the games didn't do too much for me either. Never was able to really get into them.

"For me Oot was much better than WW. It had a better story, It had a better combat system, etc. The boating thing really threw me off. You had to change the wind direction countless times. But overall WW was enjoyable. I just hope the new Zelda is much better. No boats! Just Epona!"

Once again, agreed.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2005 03:24 AM
Rhino
Red is the new black

quote:
Originally posted by Robo-Chocobo
(psss samus-adian I think He thinks I hate sony)

I've had a nintendo product in my house since I was 5.

I remember playing mario, zelda, and megaman 5 on my nes.

I remember my awsome SNES, wtih super mario RPG, mega man X, donkey kong, street fighter 2, and mario kart

I still play my N64 with ocarina of time, perfect dark, harvest moon, and majoras mask.

I have the original gameboy, scuff marks and all. it was passed down from my bro. I turned his meager 5 games into a 30+ collection.
I bought a gameboy color, and all it's great games. I bought an advanced, and I've bought a DS.

It's something you wouldn't understand Draco69.

it's called brand loyalty.

ur childhood memories have lead you to stray...or brand obsession like draco said...u probably know or can assume im a fan of sony, but that doesnt mean i wouldnt buy an xbox cuz i almost did. gaming is for fun, dont torment urself cuz nintendos losing their once creative flame. u can always buy a new console

Old Post Jan 14th, 2005 03:26 AM
Rhino is currently offline Click here to Send Rhino a Private Message Find more posts by Rhino Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robo-Chocobo

I have a Ps2. contrary to what you may think.

I got it when it was in those huge shortages for a birthday gift.

SInce the gamers were so few, and hard to find, I got to play with 4 rented ones, then decide what I liked.

I tried all of them. Armored Core was the ONLY one that actually made me want to finish it. Sony had even crappier launch titles than the gamecube did, but the hype was so huge, even I was interested.

I then got Jak and daxter, since I had gotten a demo of it from sony, and thought..hmm good gameplay....cool. I ended up getting GTA 3 that summer. I played that game for a while.

My brother got ace combat 4, and now 5. I've played those to death. vice city: played it. jak 2, ratchet and clank going commando, socom, socom 2. killzone(rental).ffx, ffx-2.

I know what I'm talking about when I compare the systems.

I've been especially pissed at my ps2 ever since it stopped playing some of my older ps1 games. well their you have it. console durability.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2005 05:45 AM
DarkC
-KMC THREAD KILLER-

Dropped GBC from 2 story building. It survived, all that was needed was some tape on the back.

Bored? Amuse yourself with Tower Defense!

Old Post Jan 14th, 2005 06:07 AM
DarkC is currently offline Click here to Send DarkC a Private Message Find more posts by DarkC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

So I like Nintendo. Does that make me a criminal?
I stick by a product that I feel is the best. I don't jump on the bandwagon just because of publicity. Nintendo might not be number #1, but i still love them to death. I always enjoyed their product. And the reason for me not buying the XBOX or PS2 is that i dont have any money to spend on 3 consoles.
WW battle system was alot better than OofT. WW though is not a bad game either. It had amazing visual with a good art style that worked very well with content and it was great to play.
I still dont think Nintendo's games suck. They develop or help develop some of the best software in the business.
And finally, Im a PC gamer by heart. And PC is alot better than anything.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2005 07:26 AM