KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Zelda Wii-U

Zelda Wii-U
Started by: Zack Fair

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Zelda Wii-U

This thread is to discuss the next Zelda that will be released for the Wii-U.

Zelda Wii-U tech demo

Feel free to discuss what you'd like them to change. What you'd keep the same. What aspects you would improve. What gaming mechanics from other games would you add. Etc. etc.

I for one would like them to add voice overs. I know the mute characters are a conscious choice, but I'd like to hear voice overs and it would help give the characters more personality and would improve the storytelling/cinematic experience. I would also prefer better more efficient use of other weapons that are not the master sword. Usually feels like weapons/items you pick up in dungeons get limited use(wheel/dominion rod in Twilight Princess) A Link to the past is a great example of how you could beat bosses with other weapons instead of the dungeon weapon. I'd prefer no navi-like companions, but if we have to have them make them like Midna who was tolerable, and actually likeable with her mischievous attitude. Also helps that Midna didn't really go 'Hey Hey...listen!' every 5 minutes. I'd also like smarter, more reasonable dungeon designs. I thought the dungeons in TP were pretty good from a story/design standpoint. An example would be the ice dungeon with Yeto and his wife which was pretty much just their house/resort.

Interested in your inputs.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Last edited by Zack Fair on Jul 25th, 2013 at 06:22 PM

Old Post Jul 25th, 2013 06:19 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

From a gameworld viewpoint, Zelda needs to take some inspiration from other franchises. OoT was pretty detailed as 3d worlds go for its time, but the series has been behind the curve since, and Skyward Sword actively created a LESS detailed game world; it was mostly empty.

A Hyrule built along the detail levels of Guild Wars 2 and Assassin's Creed would be very welcome in that regard. Hyrule is one of the oldest worlds in gaming but it still has not properly come to life.

As to whether Zelda can just keep doing the same gameplay formula though... I dunno. I know many fans want more of the same, buit to my mind the whole traditional Zelda overworld/dungeon setup is feeling very tired. I think it could experiment in more of an open world design, but I think the designers feel the opposite (they said that made SS more closed off than Twilight Princess precisely because they thought open worlds could be confusing, which knackers any chance of change there).

Mind you, I don't understand why they don't use the ip more. If they worry that open world Zelda is too lacking in direction for the kind of market the main series is targeted at, why not keep the main series as is but make other games set in Hyrule that ARE open world, or have character stats, or allow you to play other characters and/or races etc? I'm sure there'd be a huge market. Same again for Metroid- make games set in the continuity but with a different focus. Just making a Metroid game that's a BIT like Mass Effect in terms of exploration etc. could be a killer, especially if you can create your own bounty hunter.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Jul 25th, 2013 at 09:09 PM

Old Post Jul 25th, 2013 09:04 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cyner
Too little too late

As far as open worlds go, there are already statements from developers saying that they are looking to capture some of the feeling that games like Skyrim give the player. That seems like a very good sign.

I would prefer no voice acting, especially if you can't skip bits of speaking while still reading dialogue. I have this thing where I love to read and hate to hear people blabber on for 10 minutes on something I was done reading 8 minutes ago.

I actually loved the dungeon designs from Skyward Sword, most of them felt interesting and like they were a part of the world they were in. Instead of being a temple awkwardly dropped into the middle of whatever region it was in.

Completely agree about the companion thing, if nothing else I would like one that doesn't harass me so much. Hell make a co-op Zelda title where Zelda is your companion and someone can play as her. Also have her taking notes as the journey goes, creating her written Legend.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2013 09:50 PM
Cyner is currently offline Click here to Send Cyner a Private Message Find more posts by Cyner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ushgarak
From a gameworld viewpoint, Zelda needs to take some inspiration from other franchises. OoT was pretty detailed as 3d worlds go for its time, but the series has been behind the curve since, and Skyward Sword actively created a LESS detailed game world; it was mostly empty.

A Hyrule built along the detail levels of Guild Wars 2 and Assassin's Creed would be very welcome in that regard. Hyrule is one of the oldest worlds in gaming but it still has not properly come to life.

As to whether Zelda can just keep doing the same gameplay formula though... I dunno. I know many fans want more of the same, buit to my mind the whole traditional Zelda overworld/dungeon setup is feeling very tired. I think it could experiment in more of an open world design, but I think the designers feel the opposite (they said that made SS more closed off than Twilight Princess precisely because they thought open worlds could be confusing, which knackers any chance of change there).

Mind you, I don't understand why they don't use the ip more. If they worry that open world Zelda is too lacking in direction for the kind of market the main series is targeted at, why not keep the main series as is but make other games set in Hyrule that ARE open world, or have character stats, or allow you to play other characters and/or races etc? I'm sure there'd be a huge market. Same again for Metroid- make games set in the continuity but with a different focus. Just making a Metroid game that's a BIT like Mass Effect in terms of exploration etc. could be a killer, especially if you can create your own bounty hunter.

I would definitely welcome playing with characters from other races and different backgrounds in Zelda spinoffs. The Zora/Goron/Deku masks in majora's mask were a very fun element and it is a shame they never elaborated on these races. There is a lot of potential there. I never really thought about that, but it is mind boggling how the concept has escaped their strategy. It seems like Nintendo is very strict when it comes to Zelda(and I think japanese in general are like this) and they should incorporate elements from other successful modern franchises. Its like the entire world is moving on while Nintendo is still stuck in 1998. Its amazing how good OoT was that even after 15 years the formula is still reaping success and critical acclaim.

I would welcome more fluid animations and more fluid combat.
Originally posted by Cyner
As far as open worlds go, there are already statements from developers saying that they are looking to capture some of the feeling that games like Skyrim give the player. That seems like a very good sign.

I would prefer no voice acting, especially if you can't skip bits of speaking while still reading dialogue. I have this thing where I love to read and hate to hear people blabber on for 10 minutes on something I was done reading 8 minutes ago.

I actually loved the dungeon designs from Skyward Sword, most of them felt interesting and like they were a part of the world they were in. Instead of being a temple awkwardly dropped into the middle of whatever region it was in.

Completely agree about the companion thing, if nothing else I would like one that doesn't harass me so much. Hell make a co-op Zelda title where Zelda is your companion and someone can play as her. Also have her taking notes as the journey goes, creating her written Legend.

TBF I'm okay with Zelda characters being mute. it sort of gives it a charm, but at the same time I want to see Zelda do it and how it would change/improve/**** up the franchise. They are too scared to change. The only thing they really change are the settings, and after a while these changes(sailing/flying) become more apparent and just...kind of there for the sake of spicing things up when the core of the gameplay has not changed in more than 15 years.

i'd like the dungeon bosses to be able to be killed with different weapons. Its kind of meh how they're just like in ocarina.

I have yet to play Skyward Sword, so I won't comment on the dungeons, but if they are anything like Twilight Princess's I'd like them too.

Last edited by Zack Fair on Jul 25th, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Old Post Jul 25th, 2013 09:59 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I would like to see voice acting. I think it's time for it. The only time voice acting is not imperative is in first person shooters that do not have cut scenes of any kind.

But Zelda, I would like some voice please?

What I would like is:

1. Stop treating players like idiots. Most have played a Zelda game before, we do not need exact detail on how to do something.

2. Change the idea behind the 6-7 dungeons/new weapon up.

3. Change the setting. How about a near future Zelda, or modern take on Zelda. How about something a bit more mature than previous games.

4. Improve the controls completely. Let me do combos.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2013 12:20 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I'd love an Open World style Zelda game. The best part of OOT was the sense of freedom and wonder while running around Hyrule Field. If they could capture that feeling again I'd love it.

I'd like it if they made it so there is a normal EXP system. As it is it feels like killing non bosses is kinda pointless. It'd be nice if normal monsters gave EXP.

As far as voice acting or tone, this is something I don't really care about. Voice acting, if done right, can really help a game. If done wrong can be worse than no voice acting. And since Japanese games tend to struggle with the English version of their voice acting, I'd be fine letting this all stay text-based.

I don't mind Zelda being light hearted. There's a lot of dark, dreary games these days, Zelda doesn't need to be one of them, necessarily. Keeping it in a normal 'high fantasy' setting is fine by me.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2013 12:56 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

A Zelda game doesn't have to be all dark, but darker...could work out fine. My favorite atmosphere in a Zelda game is majora's mask.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2013 02:16 AM
The Scenario
Greater Sci-Fi combatant

I'll agree with more efficient item use, and add that every item should have multiple uses. For instance, I was initially disappointed that one of the dungeon items in Minish Cap was just a lantern. It lit up dark rooms and torches and that was about it. Then I learned that you could use it to set Gibdos and Wizrobes on fire to defeat them. (The mole mitts were just disappointing; and a missed opportunity with those claws.) Then there was Wind Waker's grappling hook. It had its puzzle use, and then an additional utility use in stealing certain items from enemies. Skyward Sword had the beetle, which was pretty great utility wise, and dropping bombs on things was all I did for a while, but the focus on the sword seemed to take out a lot of the alternate combat uses for items.

I like the feeling of not being restricted to just the sword sometimes, and that Link really can use anything as a weapon. If each item had its puzzle use, and then either a utility or combat use, I'd be pretty happy.

The second thing is the magic meter. I miss it. The last game to have it was Wind Waker, and it was only used for the arrows and flying with the Deku Leaf. The last actual spells Link had were in Ocarina of Time with Din's Fire and such. Mage Knight Link is due for a comeback, tough I don't really have high expectations for Wii-U Link getting magic. It seems much more likely that A Link Between Worlds will have some magic items. Add that to point one, and I'd like some puzzle and utility spells/magic items.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2013 02:54 AM
The Scenario is currently offline Click here to Send The Scenario a Private Message Find more posts by The Scenario Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

Just gonna say NO exp. The point of zelda game isn't your character getting stronger but YOU getting better. By the end of the game, you should be taking out midbosses and bosses like they're normal enemies. Your sword doesn't take out more health, you are just a more capable player.

Also hookshot> clawshot.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2013 04:42 AM
NotAllThatEvil is currently offline Click here to Send NotAllThatEvil a Private Message Find more posts by NotAllThatEvil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Double clawshot was fun. Should keep that for the following entries. I agree. I don't really agree with XP.

I'm about to beat Twilight Princess and I gotta say my 3 complains are the following:

1. The first light tears gathering missions with wolf Link were annoying. Game would have had better pace and being more fun had I not been stuck doing shit like that.

2. Some items/weapons are pretty much useless once you get out of the dungeon they're useful in.

3. Zant is one weak, pathetic loser and I just can't stand him.

Other than those flaws the game was great IMO. I love Midna.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2013 05:08 AM
Zack Fair
Fanboy

I want Link to have lines in a FKN Zelda after finishing TP and seeing Link's heartfelt reaction to Midna's fate.

That wouldn't roll with most fans, but come at me bros.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2013 06:35 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I really liked the style of TP. It was a little bit darker, but not exactly GTA territory; moreover, it had a somewhat weird, dreamlike touch, from both the visuals and the sound, and that played really well with me.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Jul 26th, 2013 08:03 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Barker
Thorin Fan Club President

I read something somewhere (not on a real news site) that Nintendo wanted a Zelda Skyrim or something. Keep in mind I've never played any Zelda for more than an hour, but is that remotely possible.. or would you guys be interested in something like that?

please respond to my PM Thorin

Old Post Jul 26th, 2013 08:33 PM
Barker is currently offline Click here to Send Barker a Private Message Find more posts by Barker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

I'm all for it as long as the game remains 3rd person and it keeps the Zelda vibe.

I like Skyrim, but most of the time I feel like people overrate the game.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2013 08:41 PM
The Scenario
Greater Sci-Fi combatant

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/a...-with-new-zelda

This, most likely. And I dunno, the statement he gave tells us a whole lot of nothing. What does Skyrim "feel" like?

Old Post Jul 26th, 2013 08:42 PM
The Scenario is currently offline Click here to Send The Scenario a Private Message Find more posts by The Scenario Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Perhaps he means the open-ended sense of adventure or rather how huge the world is. I can get behind a huge Skyrim/fallout like Hyrule. That is what I like about Skyrim, but it can be tricky to successfully pull it off. If it comes at the expense of the plot well...screw that.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2013 08:43 PM
Barker
Thorin Fan Club President

Originally posted by Zack Fair
I'm all for it as long as the game remains 3rd person and it keeps the Zelda vibe.

I like Skyrim, but most of the time I feel like people overrate the game.

I think Skyrim was fun but could never get into the gameplay of TP, so I don't even feel comfortable defining what a Zelda game even plays like. I know there's a difference because TES as a whole is a more open-world than Hyrule, right? You can't really tailor Link to a certain gameplay style, can you? He has what, his sword and slingshot or whatever wheras a different kind of game would see him getting different stats and perks to put into sneaking or whatever. Does that fit the Zelda gameplay?

I feel like a jerk jumping in here and bringing it up without really knowing how a Zelda game plays, but I just want to know if you guys think it would work.
Originally posted by The Scenario
http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/a...-with-new-zelda

This, most likely. And I dunno, the statement he gave tells us a whole lot of nothing. What does Skyrim "feel" like?

Oh maybe that was it, I didn't realize it was an actual quote.

please respond to my PM Thorin

Old Post Jul 26th, 2013 08:49 PM
Barker is currently offline Click here to Send Barker a Private Message Find more posts by Barker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Originally posted by Barker
I think Skyrim was fun but could never get into the gameplay of TP, so I don't even feel comfortable defining what a Zelda game even plays like. I know there's a difference because TES as a whole is a more open-world than Hyrule, right? You can't really tailor Link to a certain gameplay style, can you? He has what, his sword and slingshot or whatever wheras a different kind of game would see him getting different stats and perks to put into sneaking or whatever. Does that fit the Zelda gameplay?

I feel like a jerk jumping in here and bringing it up without really knowing how a Zelda game plays, but I just want to know if you guys think it would work.
Zelda are open world too, but it isn't as open from the very beginning. There are locations you can't reach until you get the proper tools to reach them. This gives the games a more linear approach since you just can't go anywhere and everywhere you want. It isn't bad perse. And no you can't tailor Link to specific style. Link's combat is very basic. You have your weapons and your tools you can use in combat and dungeons, but nothing too deep. For example you grab a bow and thats it. You're an archer for most of the game if you want. I'm not sure I want a skill tree in Zelda. I like how it is...but I'd like more usefulness to the weapons etc. For example would be cool if Link could use his bow in melee even if its not as effective as the sword. Tell you what I think I'd like an upgrade system. I just don't want link to be specifically tied to one style and I doubt they'd do that. Link and his weapons/items have always been one of Zelda's biggest things.

Last edited by Zack Fair on Jul 26th, 2013 at 09:15 PM

Old Post Jul 26th, 2013 09:07 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Indeed, Zelda was actually originally grounded in the idea of open world exploration (in a primitive 8-bit sense) but it abandoned that for its latest outings on both handheld and main console- quite deliberately.

It's a setting that is fundamentally suitable to open world exploration. Maybe not with the same moral/career scope as an Elder Scrolls game, as Zelda has a very different narrative approach, but that approach to world design really should be the vision of the game.

BtVS

Old Post Jul 26th, 2013 09:17 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

While we comparing open-world Zelda game to Elder Scrolls is obvious, we could be comparing it to GTA.

A story driven open world experience.

Old Post Jul 27th, 2013 12:48 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote