KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » LISA: the Painful RPG

LISA: the Painful RPG
Started by: NemeBro

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
NemeBro

LISA: the Painful RPG

"The miserable journey of a broken man."

An underrated indie gem I only recently heard of and played released in late 2014.

In LISA: the Painful RPG you play as the bald, aging, troubled martial artist Brad Armstrong, whose adopted daughter, Buddy, has been kidnapped. Buddy is the last-living human female in the post-apocalyptic wasteland of Olathe, so Brad is pulled into a bloody quest to get his daughter back before the warlords of Olathe can have their way with Buddy, triggering a horrible war in the process. Along the way Brad can recruit colorful characters into his party to help him survive the psychopaths, perverts, and mutants along the way.

LISA is probably the darkest, most depressing game I have ever played, with a tearjerking story, a protagonist of questionable morals, and themes like domestic abuse, rape, drug addiction, and depression. It's also one of the funniest, with the humor being warped and often black, but the contrast with this crapsack setting makes it all the funnier. The combat's also okay as far as menu combat RPGs go.

Oh, and it takes a heavy influence from shit as diverse as Fist of the North Star, MOTHER (much like Undertale, a similar, but much lighter in tone game), martial arts, and professional wrestling.

I'd recommend LISA for any fan of oldschool MOTHER-esque RPGs or just people who appreciate stories in games in general. Pick up both The Painful and its DLC, The Joyful, and if you want, download The First (the prequel to these games) for free.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2015 08:38 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

No one cares.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Dec 25th, 2015 08:52 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I think Jim Sterling did some voice acting in this.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2015 09:56 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nephthys
I think Jim Sterling did some voice acting in this.
Seems unlikely, considering all the dialogue is text-based. stick out tongue

With that said, as a kickstarter backer's reward he is in the game as an NPC who is in a sort of sidequest. A few people are in the game as NPCs, but he is probably by far the most prominent.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2015 10:27 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

I knew you were gonna make a thread for this after mentioning that it didn't have one.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Dec 26th, 2015 01:29 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote