KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » SCi Fi Books

SCi Fi Books
Started by: Bicnarok

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

SCi Fi Books

Im looking to read an excellent Sci Fi book, the last ones were shortish books by Ben Nova.

Anything new out there worth reading.?

Old Post Dec 1st, 2007 09:57 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Depends on how mature your reading level is.

Vernor Vinge is fantastic, as is Neal Stephenson (I've just read Snow Crash for about the third time and it's still as good as ever). Peter F. Hamilton is not too shabby, although his books are a bit space opera-ish for me.

I grew up on short stories by Isaac Asimov, Robert Silverberg, Roger Zelazny, Philip Jose Farmer, etc., so I have a predilection for scifi anthologies - just go to your nearest decent book store (or any second-hand book store) and look for the collections of short stories.

Short stories seem perfectly suited to the scifi genre, and usually somebody really have to be a master to keep an audience's interest for anything longer than a novella in pure, hard-core scifi, as opposed to the prevalent trend to blend fantasy with science fiction.

Speaking of which, the Dune series is well worth checking out as well, if all the screen adaptations haven't put you off for life...

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2007 08:28 PM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Admiral Akbar

I would recommend reading "Rendezvous with Rama" it's a really good sci-fi book.

When the darkness comes, keep an eye on the light no matter how far away it seems.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2007 02:16 AM
Admiral Akbar is currently offline Click here to Send Admiral Akbar a Private Message Find more posts by Admiral Akbar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Thanks for the tips, just ordered "Rendezvous with Rama" read some reviews and like the look of that.

Ive read various "maturity" level of books but prefer ones wich are dark and believable , Ben Nova was a bit on the easy side and I read em on the beach on holiday because they were the only English books in the local shopssmile

The last Sci Fi book I read was Red Mars. (Mars Trilogy) from Kim Stanley Robinson. Which was excellent with lots of believable things happening.

Im not into trilogy books though.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2008 05:17 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Admiral Akbar

Glad to hear. I hope you enjoy the book.

When the darkness comes, keep an eye on the light no matter how far away it seems.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2008 08:00 PM
Admiral Akbar is currently offline Click here to Send Admiral Akbar a Private Message Find more posts by Admiral Akbar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Have read half of it so far, really is an excellent book.

What an amazing imagination A.C.Clark has, space odyssey was also one of his brilliant books.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2008 08:22 PM
Admiral Akbar

Yes it was, and it made a great movie as well.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2008 04:57 AM
Rambo

Red Mars

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2008 08:00 PM
Rambo is currently offline Click here to Send Rambo a Private Message Find more posts by Rambo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I've got the following science fiction books in my to read pile:

Star Maker by Olaf Stapleton
The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester
Gateway by Frederik Pohl
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

Good? Might find some you like Bicnarok in the above.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2008 05:08 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mark Question
Lurker

"Space Vulture," it's a throwback to pulp "Flash Gordan" type fiction. Light and entertaining.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2008 09:52 PM
Mark Question is currently offline Click here to Send Mark Question a Private Message Find more posts by Mark Question Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

RIP Arthur C Clarke.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2008 11:05 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
big gay kirk

i would suggest...
1984 by george orwell...
heads by greg bear.. failing that, either queen of angels or forge of god by the same....
radix by a.a. atanasio
the stainless steel rat by harry harrison
the postman by david brin (don't let the film put you off...)
expedition to earth by arthur c clarke
martian chronicles by ray bradbury
the man in the high castle by philip k dick.. failing that, try do androids dream of electric sheep
neuromancer by william gibson

should tide you over for a bit...

Old Post Mar 28th, 2008 11:32 PM
big gay kirk is currently offline Click here to Send big gay kirk a Private Message Find more posts by big gay kirk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

I could recommend the Dune books, considered as one of the best sci-fi ever. About to begin on book 5 in a short time myself.

Also, Star Wars has a decent amount of good books.

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Apr 6th, 2008 07:26 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

try some of JG Ballard's sci-fi-esque books...they're refreshingly different in that they dont look too far into the future and also explore alot of unusual theme's

start with "the drowned world"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Drowned_World

it explores the concept of the evolution and devolution of biological memory

"Just as psychoanalysis reconstructs the original traumatic situation in order to release the repressed material, so we are now being plunged back into the archaeopsychic past, uncovering the ancient taboos and drives that have been dormant for epochs… Each one of us is as old as the entire biological kingdom, and our bloodstreams are tributaries of the great sea of its total memory."

you could also try the related novels "the burning world" and "the crystal world"

or if you want something a little more futuristic then try "Hello America"

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Last edited by jaden101 on Apr 6th, 2008 at 11:40 PM

Old Post Apr 6th, 2008 11:36 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

im reading one now called 'alien influences'

very good so far
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alien-Influ...7349&sr=8-8

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Apr 7th, 2008 03:03 AM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Re: SCi Fi Books

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Im looking to read an excellent Sci Fi book, the last ones were shortish books by Ben Nova.

2001 a space Odyssey.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2008 12:08 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Definitely agree with the J G Ballard books, good author.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2008 03:05 PM
Morridini
Morridini

I finished Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury a little while ago, and must say it was an interesting, if not weird, read.

Also picked up Starship Troopers today, anyone read it?

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Apr 7th, 2008 03:22 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Starship Troopers is a good read, much better than the movie. I liked Stranger on a Strange Planet by Heinlein as well.

And don't forget Battlefield Earth, by Hubbard! Yeah, I know the movie sucked - but the book is a good read! - a good, old-fashioned space adventure, with the good guys beating the bad guys at their own game.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2008 08:41 PM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Shadow Z

Re: SCi Fi Books

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bicnarok

Check out the Deathstalker books by Simon R. Green, they are brilliant sci-fi books. I own nearly all of them , just have three more to go!

Old Post Apr 15th, 2008 09:25 AM
Lord Shadow Z is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Shadow Z a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Shadow Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote