KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Pirates of the Caribbean » Okay...let's try to figure out that darn compass...

Okay...let's try to figure out that darn compass...
Started by: JD_4_Life

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
JD_4_Life
Johhny is the Real Deal

Okay...let's try to figure out that darn compass...

Okay, I have a question. When Jack was sailing away in that little life boat he looked at his compass to see if that's what he wanted most. Is the compass pointing to the Black Pearl or to someone (Elizabeth) on the ship?

Please and thank you.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2006 10:53 PM
JD_4_Life is currently offline Click here to Send JD_4_Life a Private Message Find more posts by JD_4_Life Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
*jcd*gmc*

I think it was pointing to the ship-that's pretty much the entire point of the 1st movie-he wanted to find it most. So I guess that's what it was pointing to--it makes a lot of sense.

"..and that was without a single drop of rum."

Old Post Oct 17th, 2006 12:08 AM
*jcd*gmc* is currently offline Click here to Send *jcd*gmc* a Private Message Find more posts by *jcd*gmc* Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
IheartPocky
Not a sausage..

The book said it pointed to the pearl and her crew.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2006 12:10 AM
IheartPocky is currently offline Click here to Send IheartPocky a Private Message Find more posts by IheartPocky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JD_4_Life
Johhny is the Real Deal

but I heard various rumors (even on wikipedia) about it pointing to Elizabeth. I'm really confused.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2006 12:10 AM
JD_4_Life is currently offline Click here to Send JD_4_Life a Private Message Find more posts by JD_4_Life Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mmoviejunkie
willywanka?johnny wanker!

i personally think that it was pointing to elizabeth
because once he is back on the ship he says abandon ship, and then when gibbs says, but jack-the black pearl...jack says its only a ship mate
so if he says this, then why would he returning to the ship after he already had a chance to leave?
he came back for the crew, but mainly for elizabeth

Last edited by mmoviejunkie on Oct 17th, 2006 at 12:24 AM

Old Post Oct 17th, 2006 12:20 AM
mmoviejunkie is currently offline Click here to Send mmoviejunkie a Private Message Find more posts by mmoviejunkie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JD_4_Life
Johhny is the Real Deal

yeah..thanks for that. Now it kind of makes sense.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2006 01:40 AM
Mistypirate
Viva Sparrabeth!!

Ok IMO the compass was pointing at Elizabeth, he right there and then realized, that she was what he wanted most in the world. I think he was confused when he was escaping in the boat. And when he opened the compass he finally accepted he cared for her,and went back to save her. I think he was in denial about his feelings at that moment. IMO The compass was like a symbolic aspect. For me it represents the character's indecisiveness. That's why we see, that when Jack had the compass it pointed in every direction. But once he accepted he had feelings for her, the compass stop spinning and it pointed to one direction.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2006 03:55 AM
Mistypirate is currently offline Click here to Send Mistypirate a Private Message Find more posts by Mistypirate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PirateDiva
So In LoVe WiTh JoHnnY!

^^ Totally agree i mean when Jack was getting away...thats it he HAD HIS FREEDOM!!...the Pearl would have sank and Davy would have thought he was DEAD!!! But he was torn because he was FREE and yet he felt like something was still missing....so he took out his compass and it pointed to Elizabeth because at that point he had freedom, but realized that is not what he wanted He wanted Elizabeth!!! and he accepted his feelings, gave in and went back!!!

Thanks Savvy! *Huggles*

Old Post Oct 17th, 2006 04:04 AM
PirateDiva is currently offline Click here to Send PirateDiva a Private Message Find more posts by PirateDiva Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mistypirate
Viva Sparrabeth!!

Yes yes yes, Is like he was torn between freedom and Liz. He was unsure what he wanted most. But finally accepted it was Liz. Whats weird is that when Liz had the compass it wasn't conflicted. I believed that she knew what she wanted all along. Maybe this sounds silly, but do you think that Liz was denying her feelings towards Jack, because maybe she though Jack could never correspond her back. So maybe thats why she was trying to kill off her feelings for him. Because she tough Jack couldn't love her back.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2006 04:22 AM
Mistypirate is currently offline Click here to Send Mistypirate a Private Message Find more posts by Mistypirate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PirateDiva
So In LoVe WiTh JoHnnY!

Of course it makes total sense....right now only the Movie can prove us wrong!! LOL!!

Thanks Savvy! *Huggles*

Old Post Oct 17th, 2006 05:08 AM
PirateDiva is currently offline Click here to Send PirateDiva a Private Message Find more posts by PirateDiva Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
akanai

as I said, it's in this official disney comic big grin "he came back to woman he loved" big grin

Old Post Oct 17th, 2006 07:01 AM
akanai is currently offline Click here to Send akanai a Private Message Find more posts by akanai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LovelyOne

if it was pointing to and from Elizabeth throughout the entire movie...then its kinda obvious that it pointed and stuck somewhere at the end. It either pointed at her or away from her and stuck..

seconds later he says "Its only a ship mate" when contemplating leaving..what an ODD thing to say if what he wanted most was the pearl

In movie 3..in that draft script its obvious Jack is in love with Elizabeth.

So he went back for her. I just notice T&T wont admit it or anything cuz I think movie3 was supposed to be the surprise where we see Jack is in love.

Last edited by LovelyOne on Oct 17th, 2006 at 10:49 AM

Old Post Oct 17th, 2006 10:45 AM
LovelyOne is currently offline Click here to Send LovelyOne a Private Message Find more posts by LovelyOne Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LovelyOne

quote:
Box Office Mojo: What is the meaning of the series?
Ted Elliott: It's a study of what is a pirate. How free can you really be? What are those trade-offs? Jack kind of represents the ultimate free man? he really has no obligations to anybody, and, obviously, if you make an obligation to somebody, you're limiting your own freedom. But, if you're not willing to limit your own freedom, you can't have those relationships. If you look at Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest from that point of view, you kind of see what really leads to Jack's ultimate fate and why Elizabeth does what she does.
boxofficemijo.com

So yeah he obviously went back for Elizabeth..and that is why she did what she did to him...she refused him silly cow cuz only hours later all she wants is him back for good.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2006 10:53 AM
LovelyOne is currently offline Click here to Send LovelyOne a Private Message Find more posts by LovelyOne Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote