KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » Anyone read History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi?

Anyone read History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi?
Started by: ImmortalIronMan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (41): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ImmortalIronMan

Anyone read History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi?

I do.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2010 06:52 PM
ImmortalIronMan is currently offline Click here to Send ImmortalIronMan a Private Message Find more posts by ImmortalIronMan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

I do too.

no expression

Old Post Aug 1st, 2010 12:40 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
danteiscool

so do I. it's awesome. gotta love Ryozanpaku and their eccentric habits.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2010 03:18 PM
danteiscool is currently offline Click here to Send danteiscool a Private Message Find more posts by danteiscool Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ImmortalIronMan

My fave characters:

Kenichi
Hermit
Shigure
Kisara
Freya
Renka

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2010 11:38 PM
ImmortalIronMan is currently offline Click here to Send ImmortalIronMan a Private Message Find more posts by ImmortalIronMan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth
Ranger

HSDK is a nice blend of comedy and action. smile

Love this manga.

For Fritos.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2010 02:51 AM
Stealth is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Epic thread revival because AuraAngel writes about this manga on his blog.

I think we should start posting in here, more often.

I read this every time new chaps come out. I read it just as religiously as I do the Naruto, Berserk, Bleach, etc.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2012 04:16 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Got into it recently on a whim while I was waiting for the Big Three to be translated.

I like it. Formula gets a bit tiring but that's fine. It kind reminds me of Bleach in that the manga seems to like his characters more than overarching story.

Favorite character is Tanimoto. Yours Dadudemon?

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2012 04:30 AM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Demonic Phoenix

Been meaning to start reading this, especially after seeing this

No but seriously, is it good?

"To all visitors from Transylvania looking for the head of Voivode Dracula: Yes, we have it. Yes, he's dead. No, you cannot see it. No, he will not return and invade you again. It has been over thirty years, please stop pestering us."

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2012 04:38 AM
Demonic Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Demonic Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Demonic Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by AuraAngel
Favorite character is Tanimoto. Yours Dadudemon?

It is difficult to say but sometimes it is Hayato Furinji and sometimes it is Berserker: Shougo Kitsukawa.

I like how perverted Kensei Ma is...mostly because he reminds me of a bolder perverted me. I don't take pictures of girls bending over or read dirty magazines but I can relate to the guy, lol!

Kenichi has his moments. I wish he were more talented. He is supposedly a genius at hard work and has the typical shonen ability of indomitable will.

Akisame Koetsuji also has his moments and probably most resembles me in personality: the philosopher-scientist who would prefer doing art all day. big grin

Shio Sakaki has his moments.

Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
No but seriously, is it good?

It is better, at times, than the HST. Sometimes, it drags on. Sometimes, as Aura states, the manga is formulaic meaning it is predictable. There is so much fan-service it almost is absurd. I have drawn some stuff from the manga, however. smile

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2012 04:47 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

If that's what you want to see then Jesus yes you will like this manga. Fanservice at max. Bleach, One Piece, and Naruto combined do not match it in that regard.

But yeah, it's pretty cool. It's evolved over time so it's a bit different now from its origins. But still a fun read.

I personally like the Big Three more though. Bleach has had some really crap arcs but I also think Kenichi can get much more dull because of it's slow pacing.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2012 04:49 AM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Demonic Phoenix

Originally posted by dadudemon
It is better, at times, than the HST. Sometimes, it drags on. Sometimes, as Aura states, the manga is formulaic meaning it is predictable. There is so much fan-service it almost is absurd. I have drawn some stuff from the manga, however. smile

I consider Naruto to be the best of the HST (though really, I don't read OP, so it is just between Naruto & Bleach). So in your opinion it is better than Naruto at times? Cool.
The fan-service should make up for the slow pacing...I hope.

If that's what you want to see then Jesus yes you will like this manga. Fanservice at max. Bleach, One Piece, and Naruto combined do not match it in that regard.

But yeah, it's pretty cool. It's evolved over time so it's a bit different now from its origins. But still a fun read.

I personally like the Big Three more though. Bleach has had some really crap arcs but I also think Kenichi can get much more dull because of it's slow pacing.

Will have to see if outdoes Tenjho Tenge in the fan-service department.

Most manga that run for as long as this one has, evolve. As long as the direction of the manga stays entertaining, I won't mind terribly.

Is the pacing at its worst better than that of Bleach's at its worst? What about the fight/action scenes? Are they well-done? Any mind-numbingly stupid arcs or characters?

"To all visitors from Transylvania looking for the head of Voivode Dracula: Yes, we have it. Yes, he's dead. No, you cannot see it. No, he will not return and invade you again. It has been over thirty years, please stop pestering us."

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2012 05:45 AM
Demonic Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Demonic Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Demonic Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

http://dadudemon.tumblr.com/Current_State_Analysis

Nope. Not even close. This is shonen so, generally, it avoids nudity..generally. I think I can count on one hand the amount of times genuine nudity has been shown...if you don't count asses.

Most manga that run for as long as this one has, evolve. As long as the direction of the manga stays entertaining, I won't mind terribly.

Is the pacing at its worst better than that of Bleach's at its worst? What about the fight/action scenes? Are they well-done? Any mind-numbingly stupid arcs or characters?

The pacing is probably better than Bleach. Like, the showdowns last a few chapters instead of 20.

The humor is a bit more slapstick than Bleach, however. You may find this manga too immature, actually. Just depends.

I give HSDK a 6.5. I give Naruto a 7. These are scores out of 10. It's not bad. But it is not the best ever. You may enjoy the over-the-top power of the characters, though. It feels much more like Dragonball in the training and power department. Just not blasts and no flight....and they are not as powerful.

I like the martial arts aspect of it. The author actually does "study trips" with marital arts and incorporates them into the manga. So, some real-world martial arts come through, at times, in the manga. Real techniques, stances, moves, etc. Fun for people that like martial arts like myself.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2012 06:28 AM
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Wouldn't know.

Well in the early days it actually somewhat seemed to be trying to teach kids a lot about martial arts. Later on the scaling gets so large that this is...well not really feasible.

Well no. Bleach at it's worst would literally have nothing happening. Kenichi is never that bad. The problem with Kenichi is that it can get repetitive. Really worse than the pacing is the fact that the heroes rarely lose. Action is fun but not all that strategic. And no arcs are stupid really but I can think of a few characters I personally dislike lol.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2012 06:32 AM
dadudemon

And no arcs are stupid really but I can think of a few characters I personally dislike lol.

Which ones?

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2012 07:07 AM
AuraAngel
Hegemon

I hate Niijima.

Sho Kano disappointed me.

And I loathe Akira Hongo based on that complete horseshit fight between him and Silcardo. I loved Silcardo and Sakaki's rival is the one who kills him? Cut me a break.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2012 07:13 AM
dadudemon

Yes, Sho Kano was a bit lame...gay, actually. It would have been more comfortable for me, as the reader, if Sho WAS actually gay instead of this very very gay, but forced "attraction" to Miu. His character and appearance were just too homosexual to force that attraction to Miu. But the story had to continue!

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2012 07:17 AM
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Lol I just didn't like him because he wasn't nearly as threatening as Odin or Kokin and yet was ranked above them in Yomi. Cut me a break.

That and I felt his character was rushed way too quickly.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2012 07:22 AM
dadudemon

Lol I just didn't like him because he wasn't nearly as threatening as Odin or Kokin and yet was ranked above them in Yomi. Cut me a break.

That and I felt his character was rushed way too quickly.

Well, he was so strong that he was bordering the area where disciple class sits and master class sits. A single strike would have killed Kenichi IF he wasn't wearing that body armor, remember.

He was more threatening than that master-class swordsman Kenichi faced on top of that car, really.

But, yes, I agree. Character felt rushed but didn't come off as threatening. I suppose that was intentional because the wanted to create a sense of friendship. He was suppose to be a good guy but playing for the bad guys. Miu's tight purple suit had a wetspot because of him. smokin'

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2012 04:25 PM
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Eh, I mean threatening in the sense that he never actually did beat Kenichi like Odin or Koukin. Odin was a personal obstacle that needed overcoming while Koukin actually KILLED Kenichi and was pretty scary. The only thing Sho seemed to be after was Miu, which is kinda lame.

At least that master class was more impressive than the one the Shinpaku Alliance took down.

I agree. But I mean really, the character had potential but he was taken out so quickly. I'd have prefer if they'd done something like how Kenichi is trying to convert Chikage.

Also, you have yet to place your bets for the upcoming fights.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2012 05:19 PM
wakkawakkawakka

Well the new HSDK chapter out. Berserker is pretty darn beasty while I just can't help but point out the delicious fanserves:
http://www.mangapanda.com/historys-...-kenichi/500/17

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2012 02:18 AM
wakkawakkawakka is currently offline Click here to Send wakkawakkawakka a Private Message Find more posts by wakkawakkawakka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote