KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Do guns in the home make us safer?

Do guns in the home make us safer?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes 20 32.79%
No 33 54.10%
Undecided 8 13.11%
Total: 61 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Started by: Agent Elrond

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Agent Elrond
The Curse is gone

I don't know if this belongs here, but I think this is the best place. I have to do a project where I have to say that guns in home make America more unsafe than if there were no guns. All I need are basic arguments; try not to get angry. Your help is greatly appreciated.

If there is a better spot for this, move it , or if there is thread like this, post its link. Thanks

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 09:56 PM
Agent Elrond is currently offline Click here to Send Agent Elrond a Private Message Find more posts by Agent Elrond Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

This is a GD thread I believe.
But I must agree no guns are good, When have you ever heard of someone accually stopping a robber because he had a gun?

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 10:57 PM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Nope. Guns are danger. It isnt the answer erm

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 11:08 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

Depends. On the one hand, if a gun is locked up tight in a safe, say, if somebody likes hunting or something, it really doesn't have much of an effect at all. On the other hand, if somebody keeps a loaded gun under their bed, and their three-year-old finds it, it could do a lot more harm than good.

Actually, Tpt, my friend's dad did scare away some people. I don't think they were actually planning on stealing something, probably just a group of drunk Frat boys, though... Anyways, he heard them outside about to come in through the back gate, and he got his shotgun and cocked it, and they ran away just at the noise.

Overall I think the risks outweigh the benefits.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 11:08 PM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

quote:
Originally posted by Darth Revan
Depends. On the one hand, if a gun is locked up tight in a safe, say, if somebody likes hunting or something, it really doesn't have much of an effect at all. On the other hand, if somebody keeps a loaded gun under their bed, and their three-year-old finds it, it could do a lot more harm than good.

Actually, Tpt, my friend's dad did scare away some people. I don't think they were actually planning on stealing something, probably just a group of drunk Frat boys, though... Anyways, he heard them outside about to come in through the back gate, and he got his shotgun and cocked it, and they ran away just at the noise.

Overall I think the risks outweigh the benefits.

Exactly....I think you should have them in a safe though. Because just thinking about if I had a kid, him blasting me away with a rifle or a shotgun.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 11:21 PM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

quote:
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Nope. Guns are danger. It isnt the answer erm

For once, me and Lil agree on something. Guns in a home usually end up hurting a family member they were meant to protect rather then an intruder.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 11:38 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

Yeah they are what are termed as "double-edged weapons."

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 12:55 AM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Agent Elrond
The Curse is gone

Thanks for your opinions. I got the easier side in this debate, proving guns do more harm than good.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 01:06 AM
Agent Elrond is currently offline Click here to Send Agent Elrond a Private Message Find more posts by Agent Elrond Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

But the way you described it DR a Dog or a loud yell would have probably done the same thing.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 03:32 AM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RaventheOnly
GheutWunOlathWholSsussun

Certain types of guns are unsafe in my opinion... assault weapons and small machineguns are extrodiarily unsafe and iloggical unless you are on somekinda battle field, yet pistols with safetys and unloaded can act as a deterant anyone how can load and cock a pistol should have enough sense not to and its mainly the parents not making clear the danger of the weopon at hand. Most times when you would need a gun outweigh the risk factor of the weapon in most cases.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 03:43 AM
RaventheOnly is currently offline Click here to Send RaventheOnly a Private Message Find more posts by RaventheOnly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

quote:
Originally posted by Tptmanno1
But the way you described it DR a Dog or a loud yell would have probably done the same thing.

Yes, I agree. Like I said, the risks far outweigh the benefits.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 04:46 AM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smallville
Last Son of Krypton

This is the greatest example of an oximoron. By having a firearm in your house, you are putting your family at risk. It is far to probable that a young one (Pending you have one) can access said firearm.

The problem lyes therein. At what risk do you want to 'preserve your family's safety?' When are you sure your family is safe? There is always a way around anything. Security systems, what have you. There is always a way.

People are flawed, its a fact. By carrying a firearm, you are only adding to the problem. Well, in my eye, anyways. (By the way, I put eye on purpose as a joke. N'yuk)

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 05:36 AM
Smallville is currently offline Click here to Send Smallville a Private Message Find more posts by Smallville Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
This is the greatest example of an oximoron. By having a firearm in your house, you are putting your family at risk. It is far to probable that a young one (Pending you have one) can access said firearm.
it is ways to make the gun not harmfull in any way unless you use it as a club, the easiest way is to separate the ammunition form the gun.
I am part of the Norwegian mobilization forces, Home Guard(similar to the US national guard, only that we all have done our tour of duty so we have military experience). We have a gun, an Assault rifle which is a fully automatic with selective fire (AG-3) at home as part of the equipment. We have taken out the firing pin and placed it at a different location than the gun itself, so as of now the Gun cant fire. For us who is trained in it we can assemble the gun in a matter of seconds ready for action though

quote:
Certain types of guns are unsafe in my opinion... assault weapons and small machineguns are extrodiarily unsafe and iloggical unless you are on somekinda battle field, yet pistols with safetys and unloaded can act as a deterant anyone how can load and cock a pistol should have enough sense not to and its mainly the parents not making clear the danger of the weopon at hand. Most times when you would need a gun outweigh the risk factor of the weapon in most cases.
there are safetys lock on assault weapons and machine guns too.

There are also gun racks that can be locked so that no one without the key can access the gun.

Guns aint the problem, people are

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 06:04 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smallville
Last Son of Krypton

A child doesnt know any better! Besides, what is the point of keeping a weapon that is meant for protection that takes an hour and a half to prepare to deturr? (Safty, ammo, etc.)

The hour was a bit of an over-exxagoration.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 06:15 AM
Smallville is currently offline Click here to Send Smallville a Private Message Find more posts by Smallville Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morningstar
-Nous tout meurt un jour-

well we aint allowed to keep guns in homes in Australia and we generally have a lot less deaths from guns, and crimes and stuff than in America. . . . . if that made sense roll eyes (sarcastic)

~*Je t'aime Andrew. Pouquoi ne peux pas tu voir cela*~

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 06:35 AM
Morningstar is currently offline Click here to Send Morningstar a Private Message Find more posts by Morningstar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smallville
Last Son of Krypton

If you need a better view, rent 'Bowling for Columbine"

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 06:40 AM
wuTa

in the US some States your allowed to carry guns its legal as long as you have a permint...in those states Homicides and Robberys are significanly lower than those states that you cant carry a gun...cyclops said "a child doenst know any better" he's right they dont but the parents do....hey just coz a parent is irresponsible and cant lock up a gun dont take away my guns and leave me unprotected in the middle of gangland

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 07:10 AM
wuTa is currently offline Click here to Send wuTa a Private Message Find more posts by wuTa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

quote:
Originally posted by finti
it is ways to make the gun not harmfull in any way unless you use it as a club, the easiest way is to separate the ammunition form the gun.
I am part of the Norwegian mobilization forces, Home Guard(similar to the US national guard, only that we all have done our tour of duty so we have military experience). We have a gun, an Assault rifle which is a fully automatic with selective fire (AG-3) at home as part of the equipment. We have taken out the firing pin and placed it at a different location than the gun itself, so as of now the Gun cant fire. For us who is trained in it we can assemble the gun in a matter of seconds ready for action though

there are safetys lock on assault weapons and machine guns too.

There are also gun racks that can be locked so that no one without the key can access the gun.

Guns aint the problem, people are

Unfortunately, most people who own guns don't have the training, or general intelegence necessary to keep their family safe while at the same time owning a gun. They think that by placing the gun in a shoe box in their closet automatically detours any possability of their children getting ahold of it.

I agree that guns arent' the problem, but I think they are far to easy to own, at least in the USA. And the fact is, most of the time guns that are kept in the house for protection usually end up hurting or killing the family they were meant to protect.

If everyone had to have the training you do before they can own a gun, I would have a different stance on the issue, but unfortunately anyone can get a gun. And that is not a good thing.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 08:28 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

People just need to be educated propperly about guns. Too many morons in this world leave their guns where children can get them but I'm not going to 'not' have a gun at my home because of those retards. I'm going to have a gun but make sure its propperly stored where I can get it, but not young children.

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 08:30 AM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

quote:
Originally posted by shaber
Yeah they are what are termed as "double-edged weapons."

yes

No weapons can make the world safer
They are what make it un-safe
At least for the rest of the world that doesnt have weapons.
But you ask "Do guns make us safer" - if "us" is meant to be those that possess guns, then the answer would be yes.
Guns are the egoistic way of making your own life a little safer, but endangering the rest of the world.
And in the end if you possess guns, you only encourage others to have them, too, a vicious, neverending circle
If with or without the needed education, guns cannot improve anything

Btw
Statistically, one out of twenty British people has a gun at home
In the US, one out of two does.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 09:41 AM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote