KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Does God Matter?

Does God Matter?
Started by: Storm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (14): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Does God Matter?

Questioning the Importance of God

The question of whether or not some sort of god exists is not one which should necessarily occupy the minds of atheists all of the time. Theists - especially Christians - regularly challenge us with arguments and ideas which supposedly demonstrate that their god definitely exists. But prior to that, there is an even more important issue to address: is a god really important in our lives?

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 06:45 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fiery Eyes

Yes!! why would he not be?

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 06:53 PM
Fiery Eyes is currently offline Click here to Send Fiery Eyes a Private Message Find more posts by Fiery Eyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

No...

and the question is....how is he?

I don't believe in God and I'm more successful than most people my age. I have a great job, a great education, a goregeous girlfriend...and dreams of a loving family.

God didn't give me those things, I went out and grabbed them myself.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 06:57 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

Who?

"I just thought you were a guy."
"... Most guys do."

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 07:01 PM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Interesting topic about God matters. I find it intriguing that Atheist discuss so much about God. They reject God, that's fine. To say that God doesn't exists is quite a declaration. I been trying to stay on the philosophical area of God. But ppl keep saying God doesn't exist.......how? and where did they came to that conclusion? then again, how did other ppl came to the conclusion of God's existence.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 07:01 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious

there you go WD.

Answer the 2nd question...and I'll gladly spend the remainder of my life in search of an answer to the first question...

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 07:09 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

So far Philosophical works have make me ponder the question of God's existence. What I'm more interested in is what cause and atheist to be an atheist? Or where you born as an atheist?

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 07:14 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Most atheists don't believe because they see no good, rational reasons for believing. Atheists generally think one should have good reasons based on evidence for believing something. Since religious beliefs do not fit this criteria (as far as we can tell), they do not believe.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 07:27 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Is God important?

-To some people: Yes

-To others: No

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 07:34 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evy_O
don't let go

Of course God matters!

Well, not to everyone, but at least to a huge amount of people. Theists mostly believe in some kind of higher existance cause they need to feel secure, they need to feel that they are not alone out here, that something greater than them exists and will protect them. So they keep finding strength to live smile

and especially elders, knowing that life will soon be over, believe strongly in God cause they know the end is probably near.

Lastly, many religions define morals and preach about peace, love, compassion, making us better people big grin

I myself am not religious, but many people do NEED a God to believe in.

shallow me, then spit me out
for hating you I blame myself
seeing you it kills me now
no, I don't cry on the outside anymore...

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 08:10 PM
Evy_O is currently offline Click here to Send Evy_O a Private Message Find more posts by Evy_O Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious

the weak rely on God for strength, because they lack the courage to find the strength within themselves.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 08:24 PM
Fire

I agree with BF on this smile

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 08:30 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

quote:
Originally posted by Linkalicious
the weak rely on God for strength, because they lack the courage to find the strength within themselves.

I guess MLK and Ghandi were very weak men with no strenght and courage.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 08:31 PM
Storm
Black belt BJJ

quote:
Originally posted by Evy_O
Lastly, many religions define morals and preach about peace, love, compassion, making us better people big grin

For hundreds of years, Christian apologists have argued that without a belief in a god, basic social structures would disintegrate and people would no longer find reason to act morally.

The question is whether or not belief in any god or higher power is required for morality and social stability.

An examination of history makes it evident that believers in gods can be very violent, especially when it comes to other groups of believers who follow different gods.

Another interesting fact to point out is that the claim doesn' t actually require any god to really exist. If social stability and morality are only achieved with believing in a god, even a false god, then the theist is claiming that human societies require massive deceit in order to survive. Moreover, the theist is arguing that a society doesn' t actually need their god, since any god will apparently do.

A more fundamental objection, however, is the implicit portrayal of humanity which such a claim makes. The unspoken reason why humans need some god to be moral is that they are not capable of creating their own social rules and, hence, require an eternal rule-giver with accompanying eternal rewards and eternal punishments.

How can a theist possibly claim this when even chimpanzees and other primates are clearly capable of creating social rules? The theist is attempting to create ignorant children out of all of us. In their eyes, we are apparently incapable of running our own affairs; worse yet, only the promise of eternal reward and the threat of eternal punishment will keep us in line. Perhaps this is actually true of them, and that would be unfortunate.

Make poverty history.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 08:33 PM
Linkalicious

quote:
Originally posted by WindDancer
I guess MLK and Ghandi were very weak men with no strenght and courage.

true...they looked to God for strength.

But these two gentlemen found strength within themselves. They believed in their cause, and fought for it. They didn't ask God why things couldn't be different. They made things different themselves...

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 08:37 PM
Evy_O
don't let go

yeah but, Storm, as you can see, humans are one of the very few beings on this planet that kill each other; chimpazees, for example, don't, that's why men need defined morals

as for some turning violent, I agree, but I'm sure the people that are becoming better persons through religion, are more than the ones that are influenced in a bad way messed

quote:

I completely disagree! it's not a matter of weakness, to me it has to do with intelligence, environment, insecurities and yes, weakness too, but you CAN'T generalize like that

shallow me, then spit me out
for hating you I blame myself
seeing you it kills me now
no, I don't cry on the outside anymore...

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 08:44 PM
Evy_O is currently offline Click here to Send Evy_O a Private Message Find more posts by Evy_O Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

quote:
I completely disagree! it's not a matter of weakness, to me it has to do with intelligence, environment, insecurities and yes, weakness too, but you CAN'T generalize like that

Exactly!

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 08:46 PM
Linkalicious

quote:

are you for real?

and WD....you're even worst for agreeing...

how can you completely disagree with me, if you agree that weakness is part of it??? confused

perhaps you, "sorta" disagree...but you can't totally disagree. Unless contradiciting yourself in an arguement is is a good thing.

Besides....

If knowledge is power, then lack of intelligence is a sign of weakness.

Insecurity? A sign of weakness.

Environment? You'll have to further explain yourself, but I'm pretty sure what you mean.

I made a generalized statement, because specifiying all the small parts, STILL gets me to the whole.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 08:54 PM
Fiery Eyes

quote:

The weak rely on God, ohhh come on. It takes a much bigger person, more courage, more boldness to have Faith in God, then to just say, he doesn't exist.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 09:03 PM
Fiery Eyes is currently offline Click here to Send Fiery Eyes a Private Message Find more posts by Fiery Eyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

No it doesn't?

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 09:04 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote