KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Your favourite philosophers?

what philosopher is your fav
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Confucious 3 10.34%
Socrates 2 6.90%
Karl Marx 1 3.45%
Plato 3 10.34%
Aristotle 0 0%
Friedrich Nietzsche 9 31.03%
Rene Descartes 0 0%
Chuang Tzu 2 6.90%
Immanuel "Manu" Kant 4 13.79%
Augustine 0 0%
Other 5 17.24%
Total: 29 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Your favourite philosophers?
Started by: Deano

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Deano

Your favourite philosophers?

which one has enligtened you the most?

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Jul 29th, 2005 10:10 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

You didn't list everyone.......how about me? OK....but not everyone...there are so many....I like pieces and bits of many...like spices....Spices of life.

Last edited by debbiejo on Jul 29th, 2005 at 10:21 PM

Old Post Jul 29th, 2005 10:19 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GabrielJones

Leatherface Vs. Michael Myers: The Halloween Chainsaw Massacre

moustapha akkad if your reading this i am a big halloween fan ive been watching it for years. I hope that you please make the halloween 9 or the halloween 10 to be Leatherface Vs. Micheal Myers: The Halloween Chainsaw Massacre . The would be the ultimate gift to me. michael and pinhead or jason would suck. I know its just a rumor for now that its even coming out but please if you can make it happen i would greatly appreciate it. i even have a plot for it Dr. Loomis orders Michael from a maximum security prison to mexico to await to get executed but on the way michael kills all the guards and they end up in texas where michael meets the sawyers and leatherface. meanwhile killing other bystandards micheal and leatherface battle it off to the finish what a movie that would be. Laurie Strode son is the nephew of michael myers so he gets scared every halloween but her son wants to marry the girl who survived the texas chainsaw massacre killings back in 78. And they both are in for the time of their lives while they get michael myers and leatherface face to face to bury their nightmares for good.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2005 10:57 PM
GabrielJones is currently offline Click here to Send GabrielJones a Private Message Find more posts by GabrielJones Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

Damn I needed more than one vote.
Karl Marx, Immanuel Kant and David Hume

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Jul 30th, 2005 12:36 AM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

Friedrich Nietzsche and aristotle are mine

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Jul 30th, 2005 12:34 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Atlantis001
The one without a name

Socrates, Plato, and Nietzsche, especially his thoughts about ethics and religion.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2005 11:03 PM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EsteemedLeader
Restricted

Account Restricted

why arent i on that poll? i have deep intimate knowlege about the universe that you people cant even fathom.

Bow before your new ruler...

Old Post Jul 31st, 2005 12:18 AM
EsteemedLeader is currently offline Click here to Send EsteemedLeader a Private Message Find more posts by EsteemedLeader Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Ren and Stimpy....they have it down pat.... big grin

Old Post Jul 31st, 2005 12:31 AM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Nietzsche is overrated. I go with Socrates and Satre.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: St. Thomas Aquinas is cool in my book. *wink*

Old Post Jul 31st, 2005 12:34 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
intoxicatedpoet

Marx, Confucious, and Plato.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2005 01:53 AM
intoxicatedpoet is currently offline Click here to Send intoxicatedpoet a Private Message Find more posts by intoxicatedpoet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediMusician
Defender of the Nifty

Lao Tzu, hands down. Or maybe Sun Tzu.
No, definately Lao Tzu.

Chaos, yet harmony;
Death, yet the Force.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2005 06:30 AM
JediMusician is currently offline Click here to Send JediMusician a Private Message Find more posts by JediMusician Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

MICHEL FOUCAULT

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2005 08:52 PM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Friedrich Nietzsche
Thomas Hobbes
Jeremy Bentham
John Stuart Mill

Old Post Aug 5th, 2005 08:55 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

Yike Foucault bwerg

Old Post Aug 5th, 2005 09:09 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Fire
Yike Foucault bwerg

My Philosophers are better than yours...........now that that is established who is he?

Old Post Aug 5th, 2005 09:10 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

Look it up, too bored to explain. never heard anything about him in my Philosophy class only in my communication sciences.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2005 09:15 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Sun Tzu

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Aug 6th, 2005 11:33 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

Aristophanes
Kant
Mikhail Bolshev
Socrates

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2005 11:42 PM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonderer

Favourite Philosopher

Who is your favourite philosopher(s) and why?

Mine are Plato (his theory of Forms is immaculate, as it touches on the very essence of being and the paradox of the absolute) and Nietzsche for his incredibly sensible moral philosophy, views on society, ideas on truth and interpretation, view on Christianity, and many more inspiring ideas.

Who are yours?

Old Post Sep 9th, 2005 11:48 AM
Wonderer is currently offline Click here to Send Wonderer a Private Message Find more posts by Wonderer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonderer

Why does nobody here post their own original philosophical theory? Here's mine:

Philosophia Effugiturus

Being as such is in any instance of an ontological cogitation, in an absurd struggle towards escaping from itself. If it is the case that Being as such is such a fundamental, unintelligible problem then in the event of its own resolution to its being at all, it will dissolve into non-Being as such. For if the complete and absolute conception of itself as the Presence and Absence at all has been reached - thus, if there is no greater possibility than itself, i.e. that which makes it as Being possible at all - it would not Be anymore at all, for it would have dissolved itself out of the sheer infinite transcendence beyond its own possibility. There would as well be no nothingness or non- existence, because there would be no Being. But now there arises the problem of to whom or to what instance this property of problem and resolve really belongs. Is it merely a psychological dilemma? It cannot be merely psychological as Being as such is Being as such through and through. It means that there are no gaps of nothingness in between Being as a whole. Being, as we shall see, is a solid, static continuity.

It is one essence. No individuals can have predicaments as there are none. Any problem as such is a struggling not even within Being, but as Being itself. From our point of view there is only one abstract essence; and our perspective is no perspective at all. It is continuous in and as Being – present and absent at the same time. Moreover, if being is essential an unresolved problem – it is an infinite singularity, as we shall see, of presence and absence at all -it is an oneness absurdly struggling as itself. And it seems not capable of escaping itself and its possibility. For every resolve is merely an event that is allowed by something greater - indeed another problem - than itself. And it is indeed all there really is, for it is Is. Is is as itself. As presence is something there need not be, it is a problem trying to become nothing. But it can not as it requires an anticipation of non-Being which is ontologically not a possibility. Indeed non-Being is not a possibility as possibility as such is existent.

The fundamental condition on which all previous philosophical endeavours has been actuated is that of the problematic cogitation subjected to the absurd absolute of unintelligible infinity of existence as such. While this ontological contemplation is eventual not via Being as such, but continuous in and as Being proper, it has not in any instance (as in the history of philosophical participation) really expressed itself literally as possessing the will or anticipation towards the ontological escape proper, where this escape is not an abandon of life, but indeed an escape from existence or, Being as such. For is it not the true sense of any instance of ontological analyses to resolve itself, i.e. to ultimately free the entire problem from existing at all. If that is the case, then existence or the ontological dilemma itself which is such a fundamental problem, as we are beings subjected to the forces and unknown of mere nature and are as such smaller than our environment and as we are not in any way capable of viewing existence from above or creating our own existence or being as such, should be the one true subject and object from which we would want to escape from into complete non-existence. But indeed there is the impossibility of such an absurd event. It is the problem of existence we are dealing with and not the problem of non-existence. We merely have to ask the question: Can there be or are there non-existence as such? The reality is that the idea of non-existence is generated by an existing entity or process. Existence as such can not contemplate non- existence as such – it is contra-definitive, i.e. defeating the essential definition and dimensions of existence as such. Existence does not posses qualities of non- existence in order to anticipate non-existence as such, for existence is wholly existence without any non-existential attributes. No entity or Individuality can anticipate its entire, absolute opposite, because the object of definition of opposites as such are to completely distinguish between to complete opposites - there are no common qualities. But then, opposites proper are not possible.

That would mean that the two supposed opposites originated from two opposite Beings as such, for if they did not then they do have a common origin or essence and consequently are not entirely different from one another. In other words, throughout the whole of existence, nothing can be opposite of the other - all must be tints or mere reflections of one fundamental Being. And the upshot of such a conclusion is that the whole of existence simply must be a solid oneness or unit. There can not be open spaces of discontinuity or non-being in between Existence as such. Existence is existence through and through.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2005 01:12 PM
Wonderer is currently offline Click here to Send Wonderer a Private Message Find more posts by Wonderer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote