KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » The Next Step For Science

The Next Step For Science
Started by: Great Vengeance

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Great Vengeance

The Next Step For Science

What defines life? What is conciousness?

These are the questions science must answer for us in what I think will be the next 'leap' in our knowledge of the universe. Some think science is declining in importance to us but I think just the opposite..

Consider this, people often consider death the end...but what were you before you were born? Were you alive? No correct? So you were dead and yet you came into life. What made you come into life? What really is our condition? Once we understand these things we will know who we are, we will know how to create artificial life, and we will know how to control life so it may last indefinately. Who knows it may be possible to bring back the dead roll eyes (sarcastic) . Science is the key for the development of our species into something more than just animals governed by natural laws, never lose faith in it because it has got us this far and hopefully it will take us much farther.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2005 06:42 AM
Great Vengeance is currently offline Click here to Send Great Vengeance a Private Message Find more posts by Great Vengeance Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

I don't think we will be able to create artificial life....It goes deeper then biology...

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2005 01:50 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Great Vengeance

quote: (post)
Originally posted by debbiejo
I don't think we will be able to create artificial life....It goes deeper then biology...

We will see...

Old Post Oct 25th, 2005 03:38 AM
Great Vengeance is currently offline Click here to Send Great Vengeance a Private Message Find more posts by Great Vengeance Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

That's false logic. Being dead is a process that follows life, not proceeds it, so it cannot be defined as the simple lack of life, so therefore the fact that life is created is not logical proof that death can be reversed.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 25th, 2005 10:34 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Great Vengeance

Originally posted by Ushgarak
That's false logic. Being dead is a process that follows life, not proceeds it, so it cannot be defined as the simple lack of life, so therefore the fact that life is created is not logical proof that death can be reversed.

Before you were born you were not alive yes? If you are not alive then you must be dead...I dont see where your going with this. And anyways I said that it *may* be possible to reverse death, though I doubt it hence the-roll eyes (sarcastic)- .

Old Post Oct 26th, 2005 03:00 AM
debbiejo
Dreamer

I don't think it could be done....It has to do with more than biology....Albeit, maybe you could bring someone to life, but they'd stay in a comatose state...

Old Post Oct 26th, 2005 10:13 AM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by Great Vengeance
Before you were born you were not alive yes? If you are not alive then you must be dead...I dont see where your going with this. And anyways I said that it *may* be possible to reverse death, though I doubt it hence the-roll eyes (sarcastic)- .

Not quite.

Death implies the end of life. Before life, death is a meaningless concept.

Old Post Oct 26th, 2005 06:53 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Atlantis001
The one without a name

So basically you want our consciousness explained scientifically. Well, thats an interesting subject!

Personally I like Penrose´s theory about consciousness which uses quantum mechanics to explain it. They believe that our brain works like a quantum computer, and a quantum computer in principle could have the ability to generate unpredictable algorithms like if it is making decisions by itself. If it can make decisions maybe here lies the secret of our consciousness. In our cells, especially inside the axons and in the membrane there is a struture called microtubules. These would work like processors since it is believed that they can exibit a high degree of quantum coherence( it is needed for quantum computation to work).

Old Post Oct 26th, 2005 09:51 PM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jOHN_Anderton
Restricted

Account Restricted

Old Post Oct 29th, 2005 08:06 PM
jOHN_Anderton is currently offline Click here to Send jOHN_Anderton a Private Message Find more posts by jOHN_Anderton Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lord krondor

Allow me to try and make this topic more interesting.

Imagine you were in the shitty Star Trek universe and you need to teleport to some location. Now would the teleportation result in your death? If you believe in a "soul" or "self" then you would in fact die, however, your replication would believe that you didn't die. You could never prove that the teleporter kills the original because the replication would say that everything went fine.

If you believe that we are just a bundle of perceptions, then the teleporter wouldn't kill you. You would be the same person after you teleported.

Now, would you step into the teleporter?

Old Post Oct 31st, 2005 06:04 AM
lord krondor is currently offline Click here to Send lord krondor a Private Message Find more posts by lord krondor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jOHN_Anderton
Restricted

Account Restricted

yeah like THATS not a lame ass concept. LOL

Old Post Oct 31st, 2005 04:32 PM
jOHN_Anderton is currently offline Click here to Send jOHN_Anderton a Private Message Find more posts by jOHN_Anderton Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by lord krondor
Allow me to try and make this topic more interesting.

Imagine you were in the shitty Star Trek universe and you need to teleport to some location. Now would the teleportation result in your death? If you believe in a "soul" or "self" then you would in fact die, however, your replication would believe that you didn't die. You could never prove that the teleporter kills the original because the replication would say that everything went fine.

If you believe that we are just a bundle of perceptions, then the teleporter wouldn't kill you. You would be the same person after you teleported.

Now, would you step into the teleporter?

Yes, because I am only a "bundle of perceptions" as you pit it, but I am more because I am connected to my entity and a teleporter would have no effect on that relationship. A teleporter coverts matter into energy and then back again. My connection to the universe is energy, and energy cannot be lost, only changed.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2005 08:27 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Atlantis001
The one without a name

I´ve already thought about this too...

In quantum teleportation what actually happens is that the information is teleported between entagled particles localized at distant locations. Teleport us is to transfer that information to another region of space.

I think that to solve this problem we will need to know what defines our self. If our self is determined by the physical information in our body particles, I mean... if a perfect replication of myself will be me. If even a perfect replication of myself is not necessarily myself, then maybe we would die in the process of teleportation. The teleported body would be just a another body that resembles yours.

Last edited by Atlantis001 on Oct 31st, 2005 at 08:49 PM

Old Post Oct 31st, 2005 08:46 PM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonderer

To contemplate ideas about the ultimate, absolute, essence of the universe, God, nature, etc., is senseless, fruitless and bad for one's mental as well as physical health, as it creates confusion, frustration, intellectual conflicts, and ultimately, no real answers. We must simply accept the fact that we, as mere human beings, being very small parts of the whole of the universe, cannot know the essence of the truth of existence.
However, we must accept the fact that some things are hidden from our knowledge and then strive to be in synchronisation with the vibration and rhythm of this mystic law of the universe. One can only make peace with the great unknown of the universe if one accepts the mystery of the Universe's essence like a flower of which the seed producing mechanism is hidden and broken when probed.

We will become much richer and wiser human beings if we chant and meditate to the rhythm of eternity, rather than try to probe it. Rather strive towards a fuller experience of the mystery of life; rather feed your soul; refrain from this mad probing and dissecting, because it will lead to your own demise in the face of the unaffected flowing stream of eternity who does not tolerate little arrogant beings trying to probe it with silly mechanisms.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2005 01:36 PM
Wonderer is currently offline Click here to Send Wonderer a Private Message Find more posts by Wonderer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonderer

The universe meant for us to simply vibrate in its rhythm, to simply accept its beautiful mystery, not to disrupt the natural flow with senseless intellectual deconstructions.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2005 01:38 PM
Wonderer is currently offline Click here to Send Wonderer a Private Message Find more posts by Wonderer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Science will go a long way, if IMO, they would spend more time on the new quantum theories, and what that would imply...Much of it would hook right in the the Metaphysical....Which would change belief systems of many people......Out with the old...In with the New...

It would have a huge effect on many religions.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2005 01:37 PM
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

Originally posted by Atlantis001
In our cells, especially inside the axons and in the membrane there is a struture called microtubules. These would work like processors since it is believed that they can exibit a high degree of quantum coherence( it is needed for quantum computation to work).
Interesting. I've learned quite a bit over the course of my studies about microtubules, in terms of structure, composition and biological function, but I've never heard this theory. What exactly is quantum coherence?

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2005 01:49 PM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Atlantis001
The one without a name

Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Interesting. I've learned quite a bit over the course of my studies about microtubules, in terms of structure, composition and biological function, but I've never heard this theory. What exactly is quantum coherence?

Coherence is when two or more waves interfere in a way that their amplitudes are in phase(thats what happens with a lasers, or superconductors for example), so they do not cancel each other, its when waves constructively interfere with each other. Coherence means that the pattern that the waves create remain with the interference, and is amplified.

For quantum processes like quantum computation, and therefore consciousness manifest macroscopically those waves need to be amplified to a macroscopic scale. The problem is that quantum coherence only happens at very low temperatures(near absolute zero), but some scientists believe that it could happen even at so high temperatures of the human body in the microtubules.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2005 02:38 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Atlantis001
So basically you want our consciousness explained scientifically. Well, thats an interesting subject!

Personally I like Penrose´s theory about consciousness which uses quantum mechanics to explain it. They believe that our brain works like a quantum computer, and a quantum computer in principle could have the ability to generate unpredictable algorithms like if it is making decisions by itself. If it can make decisions maybe here lies the secret of our consciousness. In our cells, especially inside the axons and in the membrane there is a struture called microtubules. These would work like processors since it is believed that they can exibit a high degree of quantum coherence( it is needed for quantum computation to work).

Penrose's theory is fascinating but it is reductionistic, which, personally, is not my cup of tea. Transpersonalists would say that the brain is a physical correlate to Consciousness, which is ultimately inexplicable because there is no more fundamental a frame of reference.

Some believe in existence before essence; some believe in essence before existence.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2005 02:53 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clavis
HOT

sounds kinda Nietsche

Old Post Dec 18th, 2005 06:16 PM
Clavis is currently offline Click here to Send Clavis a Private Message Find more posts by Clavis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote