KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Is knowledge a curse?

Is knowledge a curse?
Started by: Becci

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Rapidash

Is knowledge a curse?

The less you know, the happier you are. Is it possible to consider knowledge a curse?

Perspective

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 11:39 AM
Rapidash is currently offline Click here to Send Rapidash a Private Message Find more posts by Rapidash Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

I think knowledge is a double-edged sword, but not a curse- at least if it is it is worth it.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 11:55 AM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

man, people keep making threads like this

knowledge = power. I don't know where we lost that....

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 12:22 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav
I think knowledge is a double-edged sword, but not a curse- at least if it is it is worth it.
Ditto.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 01:56 PM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jack Daniels
WOW!

It hurts to think...lol..now if it was like the matrix just jak in and instantly gain knowledge that would be kewl...although guess you lose the wisdom that goes with experience that way?..lol

I can't see straight will someone point me to the milkbar..?

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 02:48 PM
Jack Daniels is currently offline Click here to Send Jack Daniels a Private Message Find more posts by Jack Daniels Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

Read the sig

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post Aug 31st, 2008 05:09 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by inimalist
knowledge = power. I don't know where we lost that....

And yet it so rarely works out that way.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2008 09:06 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Jack Daniels
It hurts to think...lol..now if it was like the matrix just jak in and instantly gain knowledge that would be kewl...although guess you lose the wisdom that goes with experience that way?..lol

Speaking of the Matrix...red pill or blue pill?

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2008 10:32 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jack Daniels
WOW!

what happens if I take both..lol

I can't see straight will someone point me to the milkbar..?

Old Post Sep 1st, 2008 07:04 AM
Jack Daniels is currently offline Click here to Send Jack Daniels a Private Message Find more posts by Jack Daniels Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Jack Daniels
what happens if I take both..lol

This.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2008 07:07 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FoxMeister
Tank

I would like to be a cat

Old Post Sep 1st, 2008 11:56 AM
FoxMeister is currently offline Click here to Send FoxMeister a Private Message Find more posts by FoxMeister Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Oh that's just stupid.

Who are the winners in history?

Nelson was an amazing fighter, very intellectual, and won in Waterloo.

Bill Clinton was a very intelligent person politically, he won the 1992 election when the last guy lost in a landslide.

Who always wins arguments over the internet? The deeply intellectuals, or the parrots who sprout out ancient claims?

Knowledge is clearly power.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Sep 1st, 2008 02:04 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

Knowledge + Money = Power.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2008 03:06 PM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by lord xyz
Oh that's just stupid.

Who are the winners in history?

Nelson was an amazing fighter, very intellectual, and won in Waterloo.

Bill Clinton was a very intelligent person politically, he won the 1992 election when the last guy lost in a landslide.

Who always wins arguments over the internet? The deeply intellectuals, or the parrots who sprout out ancient claims?

Knowledge is clearly power.

Athens vs Sparta

PhD Candidate vs Man with Club

Rome vs Germanic Tribes

Fundamentalist Christianity vs Science

Extremist Islam vs Stock Brokers

Abraham Lincoln vs John Wilkes Booth

It's fairly stupid to claim that knowledge is power in anything but a very small number of circumstances. Technology is power. Influence is power. Knowledge is exploited by those who want actual power and then cast aside.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2008 07:14 PM
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Athens vs Sparta

PhD Candidate vs Man with Club

Rome vs Germanic Tribes

Fundamentalist Christianity vs Science

Extremist Islam vs Stock Brokers

Abraham Lincoln vs John Wilkes Booth

It's fairly stupid to claim that knowledge is power in anything but a very small number of circumstances. Technology is power. Influence is power. Knowledge is exploited by those who want actual power and then cast aside.
Don't get what Athens and Sparta have to do with it.

PhD candidates aren't necessarily knowledgeable, and it's ridiculous to make that argument since that's not what inimalist is saying. Think of it more as Kung Fu expert vs man with club.

Again, I'm not seeing the point made here. The Holy Roman Empire took control of the germanic tribes because they knew how to fight better. They had more knowledge in the art of fighting.

Science has won everytime against fundamentalist christianity. The only places where creationism is taught are where there is little to no scientists.

Not seeing the connection.

John Wilkes Booth had the knowledge to shoot him in the back of the head. Lincoln had the knowledge that anyone who shot him would be severly punished.

Knowledge is power.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Sep 1st, 2008 07:51 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

for instance?

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2008 12:02 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

for instance?

Rome destroyed by barbarians. The well educated Lincoln murdered by Boothe. All credit for Penicillin going to Fleming rather than the people how made it a viable drug. Fundamentalist Christians that formed their beliefs with limited knowledge having far more influence that brilliant intellectuals. A kung-fu master being shot dead by a rookie cop.

Knowledge is much too broad and abstract to make the statement that "knowledge is power" without falling back onto constant demands that knowledge be regarded as something different in each circumstance in order to make it true. You could reasonably say that "superiority is power" but that ends up being somewhat circular.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2008 02:57 AM
AngryManatee
Sexy Ham Manwich

Re: Is knowledge a curse?

Originally posted by Becci
The less you know, the happier you are. Is it possible to consider knowledge a curse?

I consider knowledge to be an advantage.

You don't need good rear vision because you're always in front!

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2008 03:02 AM
AngryManatee is currently offline Click here to Send AngryManatee a Private Message Find more posts by AngryManatee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Rome destroyed by barbarians. The well educated Lincoln murdered by Boothe. All credit for Penicillin going to Fleming rather than the people how made it a viable drug. Fundamentalist Christians that formed their beliefs with limited knowledge having far more influence that brilliant intellectuals. A kung-fu master being shot dead by a rookie cop.

Knowledge is much too broad and abstract to make the statement that "knowledge is power" without falling back onto constant demands that knowledge be regarded as something different in each circumstance in order to make it true. You could reasonably say that "superiority is power" but that ends up being somewhat circular.

I don't see how those are examples of knowledge not being power. It seems you have chosen situations where knowledge is moot. If you want, I can go over them individually, but I think you are reading too much into the statement.

I don't think inherent in that statement is knowledge = invincibility...

knowledge opens up options. The more you know, the more you are able to do or articulate, and thus, the more individual power you have. Violence is also a form of power, and largely much more capable of killing people than knowledge. I think using knowledge to have the most violent technology is probably good, but this is extremely tangential from what I was saying. I was speaking of individual emancipation, not about universal guiding princiapls of society and human behaviour....

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2008 03:12 AM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

I don't see how those are examples of knowledge not being power. It seems you have chosen situations where knowledge is moot.

If it can be rendered useless again and again it's a fairly poor source of power, IMO.

I don't think inherent in that statement is knowledge = invincibility...

No, but the idea that knowledge is power would certainly seem to translate into knowledge gives the ability for success. That seems terribly abstract to me.

I'll use the Flemming example:

His total contribution to Penicillin was finding it making a note and eventually deciding he couldn't use it. Florey and Chain made it into a useful drug that altered the landscape of medicine and war. Flemming, Florey and Chain shared the Nobel Prize but Flemming's particular charisma is why we credit him with giving the world penicillin.

This covers knowledge of how to observe, knowledge of chemistry and knowledge of self-promotion. Any level of power gained by Florey and Chain was completely lost in the face of self-promotion. Knowledge simply covers too many things, IMO, to say that knowledge, in a general sense, gives one power.

knowledge opens up options. The more you know, the more you are able to do or articulate, and thus, the more individual power you have. Violence is also a form of power, and largely much more capable of killing people than knowledge. I think using knowledge to have the most violent technology is probably good, but this is extremely tangential from what I was saying.

I was speaking of individual emancipation, not about universal guiding princiapls of society and human behaviour....

I completely missed that. Yes, I would agree that control, power and improvement in one's own life is dependent almost entirely on knowledge.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2008 03:27 AM