KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » pocket universe

pocket universe
Started by: Colossus-Big C

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Colossus-Big C
Restricted

Account Restricted

pocket universe

is it true that there is a poket universe the size of an atom?
like if someone shrunk to that size(even though its not possible)
if they shrink to the size smaller than an atom you find your self in a pocket universe?

I have returned

Old Post Jan 25th, 2010 04:36 PM
Colossus-Big C is currently offline Click here to Send Colossus-Big C a Private Message Find more posts by Colossus-Big C Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

...why is this in philosophy? And as far as I can tell this only science fiction.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2010 04:37 PM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

no, this is not true

Old Post Jan 25th, 2010 04:59 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

There was an old philosophical argument (but not a scientific one) that said each atom was a miniature solar system with the nucleus as a star and the electrons as planets. That was trivial to disprove at the time and total gibberish now.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2010 05:19 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
There was an old philosophical argument (but not a scientific one) that said each atom was a miniature solar system with the nucleus as a star and the electrons as planets. That was trivial to disprove at the time and total gibberish now.

That idea showed up in Animal House during the "smoke weed with the professor" scene.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2010 06:21 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
if they shrink to the size smaller than an atom you find your self in a pocket universe?

“There is an idea – strange, haunting, evocative – one of the most exquisite conjectures in science or religion. It is entirely undemonstrated; it may never be proved. But it stirs the blood. There is, we are told, an infinite hierarchy of universes, so that an elementary particle, such as an electron, in our universe, would if penetrated, reveal itself to be an entire closed universe. Within it, organized into the local equivalent of galaxies and smaller structures, an immense number of other, much tinier elementary particles, which are themselves universes at the next level, and so on forever – an infinite downward regression, universes within universes endlessly. And upward as well. Our familiar universe of galaxies and stars, planets and people, would be a single elementary particle in the next universe up, the first step of another infinite regress.”

-- Carl Sagan, "Cosmos"

On the other hand...

"Pocket universes are a type of very small parallel universe sometimes found in science fiction and fantasy. They are sometimes "attached" to a larger parent universe, making them literally pockets of space, but this is not a necessary feature and the name generally just refers to their small size. Small size can be a relative and subjective thing, however; some pocket universes are large enough to contain entire solar systems."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocket_universe

smokin'

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2010 07:01 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Big C, weren't you purporting to be studying physics in college just a few days ago over in the religion forum? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Old Post Jan 25th, 2010 07:10 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Digi
Big C, weren't you purporting to be studying physics in college just a few days ago over in the religion forum? Or am I thinking of someone else?

He claims to be an astronomy student but also thinks that each galaxy was created in its own Big Bang . . .

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2010 07:11 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Colossus-Big C
Restricted

Account Restricted

yea it was me, this is my second month in the course we hardly got into anything yet really.....

I have returned

Old Post Jan 25th, 2010 08:57 PM
Colossus-Big C is currently offline Click here to Send Colossus-Big C a Private Message Find more posts by Colossus-Big C Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Colossus-Big C
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
He claims to be an astronomy student but also thinks that each galaxy was created in its own Big Bang . . .
i was actually talking about universes each having a big bang

I have returned

Old Post Jan 25th, 2010 08:58 PM
King Kandy

yea it was me, this is my second month in the course we hardly got into anything yet really.....

lol then maybe you shouldn't act like it gives you credentials...

Old Post Jan 25th, 2010 09:07 PM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

i was actually talking about universes each having a big bang
chaotic inflation?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaotic_inflation

smokin'

Old Post Jan 25th, 2010 09:11 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Mindship
chaotic inflation?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaotic_inflation

smokin'

Yes, yes. He was talking about exactly this all along.

All. Along.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2010 07:05 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Yes, yes. He was talking about exactly this all along.

All. Along.

...and then he was gone.

Chaotic deflation, perhaps.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2010 01:02 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: pocket universe

Yes, this one! cool

Old Post Mar 1st, 2010 05:02 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

(I can't believe I missed this until now...)

Is that a universe in your pocket....?

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2010 12:05 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote