KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Is it possible to consciously perceive hallucinations

Is it possible to consciously perceive hallucinations
Started by: Lestov16

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

Is it possible to consciously perceive hallucinations

I know it sounds crazy, but that's why I'm asking. Is it possible for one to trigger one's brain to consciously perceive hallucinations

"Tell him that you've got credible intelligence about a threat to his life"-
Jack Bauer

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2012 02:18 PM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Being conscious is one of the traditional criteria for having an hallucinations (since while unconscious they're dreams). If you're looking for a particular mechanism various drugs can produce them (even marijuana for a sufficiently clinical definition of hallucinations) as can sensory deprivation and lack of sleep.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2012 03:13 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

I think he means just doing it through thought. No drugs. No sleep deprivation. Just sitting at the table one day and deciding I wanna see crazy stuff.
The brain is such a riddle that there is no answer for that one.

Read some Carlos Castaneda or something. Though they used lots of drugs.

I once slept for under 1/2 hour in a week a few times. I couldn't tell if I was in a dream or reality anymore.

But this question is selective to the individual.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2012 04:50 PM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lestov16
I know it sounds crazy, but that's why I'm asking. Is it possible for one to trigger one's brain to consciously perceive hallucinations

So what did you see? I just had to ask.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2012 07:10 AM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

There are a number of ways to answer this, such as a hallucination you produced willfully would, by definition, not be a hallucination...

However, basically, no. You cannot produce hallucinations willfully beyond simply imagining a sound, taste, smell, touch or sight. Being able to would be a sign of psychological illness.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2012 08:14 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Or psychological superpowers. Bright side.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2012 10:23 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's called a "lucid" dream.

A dream that is very strong, meaning it stimulates one's multisensory integration almost like an acid trip. Another word for dream is 'hypnagogic hallucination'. In fact, to the trained mind, a few days in meditative deep sleep can allow them to create a dream so deep and lucid that it can be a crazier experience than consuming a ball hashish would be for a normal person, a Virtual Reality that is under complete control, like the one we're living in now.

The cosmos is, after all, the collective dream of consciousnesses.

"Compounding these trickster aspects, the Joker ethos is verbally explicated as such by his psychiatrist, who describes his madness as "super-sanity." Where "sanity" previously suggested acquiescence with cultural codes, the addition of "super" implies that this common "sanity" has been replaced by a superior form, in which perception and processing are completely ungoverned and unconstrained"

Old Post Oct 16th, 2013 11:46 AM
KillaKassara is currently offline Click here to Send KillaKassara a Private Message Find more posts by KillaKassara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Dolos
It's called a "lucid" dream.

A dream that is very strong, meaning it stimulates one's multisensory integration almost like an acid trip. Another word for dream is 'hypnagogic hallucination'. In fact, to the trained mind, a few days in meditative deep sleep can allow them to create a dream so deep and lucid that it can be a crazier experience than consuming a ball hashish would be for a normal person, a Virtual Reality that is under complete control, like the one we're living in now.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2013 11:52 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Mindship, discoveries made by "science" (which isn't really anything), are the result of false experiences (hallucinations) which in and of themselves have been designed by consciousnesses strong enough to trick weaker minds into thinking the universe has specific laws. When there are laws that we can't refute, we are very limited in our capacity to defy them, because we cannot accept a world without them when we buy into it. Maybe you're aware of this fact, and you're attempting to deceive me (very bad decision on your part), but I'm still up for grabs at this point in time.

I've demonstrated this fact through experience. Of course I'm making unbacked statements, I have no empirical proof other than my perhaps delusional experiences. Maybe, maybe we're in some baseline reality (if such a thing exists), in that case I'm headed toward my death or a padded cell, but where is the proof of that? I will continue to try and demonstrate the law of attraction via breaking certain physical laws that have been uncovered scientifically.

"Compounding these trickster aspects, the Joker ethos is verbally explicated as such by his psychiatrist, who describes his madness as "super-sanity." Where "sanity" previously suggested acquiescence with cultural codes, the addition of "super" implies that this common "sanity" has been replaced by a superior form, in which perception and processing are completely ungoverned and unconstrained"

Last edited by KillaKassara on Oct 16th, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Old Post Oct 16th, 2013 11:56 AM
KillaKassara is currently offline Click here to Send KillaKassara a Private Message Find more posts by KillaKassara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Dolos, I like you. You're a seeker, you have passion, you like words. But as has been said to you many times before, you are all over the place with your thoughts and ideas. Brainstorming is wonderful but you need discipline, especially when it comes to communication, in particular with yourself. Passion w/o discipline is a car w/o steering. It's hard to get where you wanna go.

May I offer a suggestion?

In a single sentence, in ten words or less (the fewer the better), define yourself. Take three days to do this (even if you come up with something as soon as you read this, work on it, refine it). PM me then if you prefer, or if it's something you wish to keep private (which has its advantages), that's cool too.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2013 12:54 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Is féidir aon rud smacht orm, tá mé go hiomlán saor in aisce. Je n'ai besoin que mon infinie bien-printemps de la haine, de se transformer en une telle rivière intemporelle et insurmontable d'orientation cristalline que toute résistance sur son passage ratatine loin! In questo processo, non vi è alcun compromesso, come la condensazione di parole. Mi̱n synepágetai peithárchi̱si̱ mou kai páli . Lorem Novi Eboraci in me, non est anima mea ad hominum sensus instructa, medicus!

Last edited by KillaKassara on Oct 16th, 2013 at 07:04 PM

Old Post Oct 16th, 2013 06:51 PM
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

edit

Old Post Oct 16th, 2013 07:03 PM
tsilamini

Originally posted by Dolos
'hypnagogic hallucination'

just as a point of fact, a hypnagogic hallucination is one that an individual experiences as they fall asleep or before they wake. They are incredibly common, and are defined by a person being between two states of consciousness, ie: sleep and awake. I've not heard dreams and hallucinations equated the way you do, especially given how both are thought to work on a mechanistic level, though I can see the connection you are making at sort of superfluous levels. Without getting too technical, and staying sort of philosophical about conscious experience, rather than being a distortion of consciousness (as hallucinations are), dreams can be better thought of as a result of a different state of consciousness, where the perception of stimuli comes from internal sources rather than external sources.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2013 08:05 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Oliver North
dreams can be better thought of as a result of a different state of consciousness, where the perception of stimuli comes from internal sources rather than external sources.
I like to think of it as SSI's (stored sensory impressions) rather than ISI's (immediate sensory impressions).

I had a lucid dream last year where I was walking through a hotel lobby, touching things, feeling detailed textures, noticing light and shadow, and I was utterly marveling at how my brain was fabricating this reality.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2013 09:09 PM
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Oliver North
just as a point of fact, a hypnagogic hallucination is one that an individual experiences as they fall asleep or before they wake. They are incredibly common, and are defined by a person being between two states of consciousness, ie: sleep and awake. I've not heard dreams and hallucinations equated the way you do, especially given how both are thought to work on a mechanistic level, though I can see the connection you are making at sort of superfluous levels. Without getting too technical, and staying sort of philosophical about conscious experience, rather than being a distortion of consciousness (as hallucinations are), dreams can be better thought of as a result of a different state of consciousness, where the perception of stimuli comes from internal sources rather than external sources.

I know I know I still thought it was a good comparison. But is it not a hallucination, if we use the term loosely?

And the hypnagogic hallucinations allow us to "consciously decide our dreams". In that state positive affirmation like "this dream will be lucid" or "I won't know that it's a dream but I will make things the way I want them" can go a long way.

If one is ever able to have a lucid dream, where they don't know it's a dream, and in which they can control it basically by altering reality - than I'd think that would be far more empowering to the ego. Though it's hard to do that multiple because the unconscious is clever, and can remember what things were synthetic and what things weren't. It's self-hypnosis, you can forget how you got there (by falling asleep) and basically brainwash yourself. My goal is to implant subliminal messages into my unconscious to the point where I consciously question whether or not I can really influence "baseline" reality like a Hindu God, and then I want to see if I actually can. Really. *straight face*

When I'm unsure whether or not I'm in a dream state, I will be cautious, I'll create an emerald in my hand as opposed to jumping in front of a bus to see if I'm intangible. If I create the emerald, I still need to be careful, to see if I'm actually not having daylight hallucinations in reality, I'll show someone, then try and determine if they are real by waiting it out. You have to be cautious, never know if you've caused schizophrenia by hypnotizing yourself too many times and having too many lucid dreams. Really, if that were true, and my schizophrenia was that strong, I'd at least be happier with life than I am now. I can't stand my voice, my appearance, the same things, my life, the fact that I have to conform to average to make sure I don't end up maimed, dead, institutionalized, or imprisoned, it's all too real and depressing for me. I have to deviate from the natural, become divergent.

Last edited by KillaKassara on Oct 17th, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Old Post Oct 17th, 2013 12:04 AM
Raisen

I'm now convinced that dolos lives in his own reality to cope with being raped or freely giving up sex for protection.....in jail

Old Post Oct 18th, 2013 04:52 AM
Raisen is currently offline Click here to Send Raisen a Private Message Find more posts by Raisen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

You're a little off. I was never raped, the worst anyone ever did to me is a few haymakers that felt like feathers.

No, I'm just the prodigal son. That's the way I am, high expectations, excitement, fun, near-death experience, rush, chaos, challenge, with me cheating death, surviving, overcoming crazy odds, and conquering those who oppose me. I think my creation is the result of a force of will, and I think that I can shape my reality because existence is a dream. I am either wrong about that, and will create whatever life I wish to have in a divergent stupor, or I'll bend reality to my whim. Either way it will appear the same to me. I'm a thrill seeker, I live in the moment, I crave instant sensual gratification, I have no concern for much at all, I'd find a real rapture thrilling, as long as I was at its epicenter, the more destruction surrounding me the more I'd feel invulnerable when my rush is flowing. When I was on the depressant known as geodon, I changed completely the polar opposite of a thrill seeker - unnerved and anxious, but now I'm coming back to my original persona.

Last edited by KillaKassara on Oct 18th, 2013 at 06:26 AM

Old Post Oct 18th, 2013 06:13 AM
Mindset

Join the army.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Oct 18th, 2013 07:09 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

I do not serve others, because I don't trust or have faith that others are in control of their actions. I was referring to a more chaotic, "free for all" scenario.

I excel at chaotic competition, where deviousness or cleverness is useless because there is no reliable work around like, for instance, the combined effectiveness yielded by the cooperation of multiple people. I want to shake up the world around me, so no one can adapt to it, so that it's chaotic, because then my ability to create order will be exclusive and shaped around my desires - because right now it's not shaped around any one else's.

Last edited by KillaKassara on Oct 18th, 2013 at 09:04 AM

Old Post Oct 18th, 2013 08:50 AM
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

but they don't mind submitting to what works and accepting that there are things beyond their control, like I do, that's why they're better at adapting than me for now: Because right now I want to try something different.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2013 09:08 AM