KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Does Marvel trounce DC or not?

Does Marvel trounce DC or not?
Started by: Wonderman

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

Does Marvel trounce DC or not?

I think so.

Ion: Sub-Atomic Power

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 09:33 PM
Wonder Man is online now! Click here to Send Wonder Man a Private Message Find more posts by Wonder Man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Viper
The Mack Daddy of Funk

Not in my mind. It seems to me that right now DC's tops books are far superior than Marvel's

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 09:36 PM
Viper is currently offline Click here to Send Viper a Private Message Find more posts by Viper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ska57
~!~

I think it's pretty much even.....i guess.....

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 09:37 PM
ska57 is currently offline Click here to Send ska57 a Private Message Find more posts by ska57 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tron
Shinigami Rep.

Well according to the stats in Wizard X, Marvel is beating out DC. People have more favorite books in Marvel than DC, 57.1% to 42.9%. That can still change throgh the year though.

Visit my city, or die at the hands of my ninjas

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 09:42 PM
Tron is currently offline Click here to Send Tron a Private Message Find more posts by Tron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mane
Restricted

Account Restricted

isnt Superman the #1 selling book?

but overall Marvel is beating DC.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 09:54 PM
Mane is currently offline Click here to Send Mane a Private Message Find more posts by Mane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Sandman
Sintastic

Yes, Superman was the #1 selling book, Identity Crisis should be the new #1 though. I'm not sure. (Superman is only doing so well because Jim Lee is drawing it. This same jump in sales took place when Jim Lee drew Batman). The new Secret War is Marvel's answer for DC's Identity Crisis.

Overall, Marvel is outselling DC, but DC does hold the top spot, as far as I know.

Old Post Aug 26th, 2004 01:15 AM
Mr. Sandman is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Sandman a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Sandman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mav
Can't think of one

DC has much higher quality books, IMO. But Marvel is raking in the cash.

made by verauko

Old Post Aug 26th, 2004 02:20 AM
Mav is currently offline Click here to Send Mav a Private Message Find more posts by Mav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
supermanprime

Last time i checked superman and batman are the two most selling comics in the market by far. then comes spiderman, and maybe x-men but i might be wrong but supes & bats are the two highest.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2005 07:32 PM
supermanprime is currently offline Click here to Send supermanprime a Private Message Find more posts by supermanprime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Both have good and bad books this is a pointless thread for fanboys like Sentry laughing

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Jun 24th, 2005 07:34 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EvilCap America

They go back and forth in sales.I remember a around 2003 or so DC was beating marvel in sales and they are are at least close usually.DCs quality right now FAR exceeds marvel though and they dont tinkle on their fans with needless overnight personality transplants [coughcyclopscough] turning their comics into movie promos.

if you mean in universe vs universe Marvel basically made the concession that they are a little weaker overall than DCs

btw werent the GL comics holding most ofthe top spots lately?

Old Post Jun 24th, 2005 07:53 PM
EvilCap America is currently offline Click here to Send EvilCap America a Private Message Find more posts by EvilCap America Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gotham Girl
Gotham Girl

How old are you cap

Old Post Jun 24th, 2005 07:55 PM
Gotham Girl is currently offline Click here to Send Gotham Girl a Private Message Find more posts by Gotham Girl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
True Sinister

the answer to the opening question:no!

Old Post Jun 24th, 2005 07:56 PM
True Sinister is currently offline Click here to Send True Sinister a Private Message Find more posts by True Sinister Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaolin9976
Kung Fu Fighter

I'd say it's even...both have good and outstanding characters...although marvel have more interesting heroes and villains...i think dc's stories are much better...it's just an opinion.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2005 08:40 PM
shaolin9976 is currently offline Click here to Send shaolin9976 a Private Message Find more posts by shaolin9976 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jrodslam

I think Marvels succsess is because of their ability to market their characters. Think about it DC as 2 of the biigest comic icons ever(Superman and Batman).

Marvel puts out multiple cartoons X-Men(old and 90's, evolution), Iron Man, F.F., hulk, Namor, Spiderman(Amazing friends, 90's, MTV) And revoloutionized the comic book movie industry.

DC has started these genres, but Marvel took them and ran with it. Simply put, people are more familarized with Marvel. Thus giving them the edge in sales. I do agree that DC stories are better. But i also think that their characters are more complex and interesting than Marvel.

All my opinion of course.

Daredevil Respect Thread - Iceman Respect Thread - Nick Fury Respect Thread - Respect Strong Guy!

Old Post Jun 24th, 2005 08:47 PM
jrodslam is currently offline Click here to Send jrodslam a Private Message Find more posts by jrodslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EvilCap America

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jrodslam
I think Marvels succsess is because of their ability to market their characters. Think about it DC as 2 of the biigest comic icons ever(Superman and Batman).

Marvel puts out multiple cartoons X-Men(old and 90's, evolution), Iron Man, F.F., hulk, Namor, Spiderman(Amazing friends, 90's, MTV) And revoloutionized the comic book movie industry.

DC has started these genres, but Marvel took them and ran with it. Simply put, people are more familarized with Marvel. Thus giving them the edge in sales. I do agree that DC stories are better. But i also think that their characters are more complex and interesting than Marvel.

All my opinion of course.

Yeah being owned by Warners Bros gives them stability that Marvel doesnt have but it also limits their abiltiy to reach a large audience.Its a miracle WB let Batman Begins be good and SOMEBODY in the organization thought giving Hally berry the role of Catwoman and Joel Shucmaker the previous 2 bat-titles were a good idea.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2005 08:57 PM
EvilCap America is currently offline Click here to Send EvilCap America a Private Message Find more posts by EvilCap America Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tha C-Master
Zitz! Rash! Pimple!

cap the historian.

Stompin' Time!!!
Props to SK wink

Old Post Jun 24th, 2005 09:12 PM
Tha C-Master is currently offline Click here to Send Tha C-Master a Private Message Find more posts by Tha C-Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Laminator_X
Once & Future KMC Hawkeye

DC is willing to put out things like Sandman or the Watchmen. When they pull out all the stops, they pull out all the stops (Crisis on Infinite Earths, for example). However, their mainstay characters are kind of played out. Their month-in month-out stories have a real hard time not being retreads. I'm not saying they don't do it, just that it's more difficult.

This is where Marvel shines. The average marvel character is a bit more fleshed-out than the average DC character. There's more room to maneuver in Tony Stark's life than there is in Bruce Wayne's. Noone really care's if Clark Kent has trouble at work, but Peter Parker's job trouble matters.

DC has such a high perentage of 'demigod' type characters, it's just hard to make things challenging. Honestly, I felt the Kang War was so much better than the Impirex War in no small part because the Kang story was writ smaller, and perhaps hand-in-hand, smarter. On the other side of the coin, Kingdom Come has it all over Earth-X.

...You are Number Six. Respect Popeye

Old Post Jun 25th, 2005 03:48 AM
Laminator_X is currently offline Click here to Send Laminator_X a Private Message Find more posts by Laminator_X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tha C-Master
Zitz! Rash! Pimple!

Most people's problem from Marvel is that they've shifted everything mainly to spiderman and xmen.

Most people's problem with DC is that the character's aren't as developed.

Stompin' Time!!!
Props to SK wink

Old Post Jun 25th, 2005 04:02 AM
Tha C-Master is currently offline Click here to Send Tha C-Master a Private Message Find more posts by Tha C-Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EvilCap America

Character development depends on the writeras really.Marvel has had some crappy x-comics in recent years with bad writers[coughAustincough] meanwhile you can take a look at the Rouges in the Flash comics under Geoff Johns gain 100X more depth over recent years but without simply discarding who they are for a re-write [They are still gonna steal the Stanley Cup but now it makes sense]

Old Post Jun 25th, 2005 04:10 AM