KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Marvel speed vs DC speed

Marvel speed vs DC speed
Started by: leonidas

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (24): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

Marvel speed vs DC speed

so it's come up a million times in a million threads. it's my contention that the 2 companies have chosen to depict speed differently. dc seems to put a much greater importance on speed in general. it is more widely used, it is used a great deal more and in fact, via the speed force, i would say that the speed limit in dc exceeds the limit in marvel.

now, because of this, there is quite a disparity in terms of speed feats and speed related characters in the 2 companies. i guess my question is this--because marvel doesn't show speed feats from characters the way dc does (in general terms, among the big characters) does that NECESSARILY mean marvel characters are slower, and unable to react to dc levels of speed? is there a point where inferrential evidence can suffice for marvel characters due to the dearth of feats? i'm not even convinced i'm phrasing this all correctly. guess what i'd like to do is start a discussion on speed in general, and more specifically how the companies depict and emphasize them, and the consequences--in the forum--for those differences.

if that makes sense. so, can marvel compete with the dc speedsters??

Old Post Apr 4th, 2011 09:19 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juk3n
Devils Advocate

Theres a huge Flash (wally west) rant floating about the interweb somewhere that sums up the answer to this query pretty nicely. The basic flavour of it is 'Ignoring PIS and CIS, the high-end feats of Wally the West are so ludicrous that if we took them as solid the wally power set would never lose a fight to anyone ever, for ever.'

Last edited by Juk3n on Apr 4th, 2011 at 09:28 PM

Old Post Apr 4th, 2011 09:24 PM
Juk3n is currently offline Click here to Send Juk3n a Private Message Find more posts by Juk3n Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

^

pretty much. Wally doesn't lose in forum fights... unless Zoom is involved.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2011 09:27 PM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Parmaniac
Evincar of KMC

quote: (post)
Originally posted by marwash22
^

pretty much. Wally doesn't lose in forum fights... unless Zoom is involved.
Or he's fighting energy composed beings.

“I once had an entire race killed just to listen to the rattling of their dried bones as I waded through them.” —Volrath

Old Post Apr 4th, 2011 09:30 PM
Parmaniac is currently offline Click here to Send Parmaniac a Private Message Find more posts by Parmaniac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CosmicComet

I would say overall strength AND speed operate on a much more forgiving sliding scale in Marvel than it does in DC (which annoys me btw).

I don't believe in giving benefits of the doubt without there being means of drawing extrapolations or clear cut statements. I believe in consistency.

And DC's portrayal of the wonders of speed is just far more reliable and impressive.

If X person can rebuild a city with his bare hands in the order of seconds, and Y person can somewhat reliably bullet time, there is little reason to give the latter the benefit of the doubt of being able to hang with the former.

Strength is one thing, you can negotiate against strength with many means. You can't negotiate with speed unless you are fast enough in reflexes and/or can produce sufficiently large AOE attacks.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2011 09:30 PM
CosmicComet is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicComet a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicComet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starscream M

DC has more impressive and higher quantity of speed feats than Marvel.

Fans will extrapolate that from what they will.

I do believe the upper-echelon guys from DC (Superman, Flash) are faster than virtually all of what Marvel has to offer though.

Defacto Leader of the KMC VS Resistance Movement

Old Post Apr 4th, 2011 09:36 PM
Starscream M is currently offline Click here to Send Starscream M a Private Message Find more posts by Starscream M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CosmicComet

Nova deserves more respect than he gets.

He's one of the few heralds in Marvel who are explicitly demonstrated to have luminal speed levels in things other than just straight line travel--fairly consistently too.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2011 09:41 PM
CosmicComet is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicComet a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicComet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starscream M

I think speed also needs to be divided into two categories: travel speed and combat speed

Marvel is no slouch in the travel speed department and may even trump DC in instances (Silver Surfer)

But combat speed is where DC emphasizes far more than Marvel.

Defacto Leader of the KMC VS Resistance Movement

Old Post Apr 4th, 2011 09:43 PM
Starscream M is currently offline Click here to Send Starscream M a Private Message Find more posts by Starscream M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PillarofOsiris

Really, this is not a knock on Marvel, because I love Marvel, but DC characters are more powerful in almost every category, not just in speed, than their Marvel counterparts.

Strength, durability, speed, magic and energy manipulation are all depicted on higher levels in DC. Its just a fact. Marvel tends to go for "realism" a little bit more than DC. And that's probably why Marvel sells better than DC in general. (hell DC learned this lesson a while ago, when they depowered everyone for a while). But to answer the question, the really fast DC characters ARE much faster than their Marvel counterparts.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2011 09:45 PM
PillarofOsiris is currently offline Click here to Send PillarofOsiris a Private Message Find more posts by PillarofOsiris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

i always thought Marvel had better feats of strength and durability.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2011 09:47 PM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CosmicComet

@PoS

In strength, not really, maybe a little bit on average.

Durability, overall yeah maybe.

Speed definitely. By leaps and bounds.

Magic, not really. A wash.

Energy Manipulation, not really. A wash.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2011 09:49 PM
PillarofOsiris

Originally posted by marwash22
i always thought Marvel had better feats of strength and durability.

Superman has lifted infinite weight, his punches have ruptured time and space and reality, and that's just Superman. There's DC characters who've been depicted as towing around solar systems.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2011 09:50 PM
PillarofOsiris is currently offline Click here to Send PillarofOsiris a Private Message Find more posts by PillarofOsiris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PillarofOsiris

Originally posted by CosmicComet

Magic, not really. A wash.

PC Dr. Fate. That's really all I have to say. (but there's others as well)

Old Post Apr 4th, 2011 09:51 PM
Allankles
Kwisatz Haderach

I don't even think "travel" speed should come into it. "Travel speed" should just be called "space travel capability" because there's plenty of characters that can generate the energy needed to propel through space from point A to B but are not in anyway speedy or speedsters.

Speedsters will do things like create mini hurricanes or tornadoes in atmosphere with their speed. There's plenty of guys with "travel speed" that can't do that.

Iboga chose not to fight, to allow himself to evolve. He had the wisdom to abandon the actions of war when he knew they would no longer serve him.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2011 09:52 PM
Allankles is currently offline Click here to Send Allankles a Private Message Find more posts by Allankles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Feron

Just feel like there are alot more speedsters in DC. Also alot more heralds that use their speed to their advantage. Marvel doesn't have that many fast guys. I feel like they focus on healing factor stuff and physic abilities.

I do feel like magic use is pretty even in both companies.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2011 09:54 PM
Lord Feron is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Feron a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Feron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Developing a fictional dimension (the speed force) from which those connected to it can a.) harness nigh-infinite amounts of speed, and b.) defy any/all 'rules' normally associated with moving at the speeds they do, is one of the best ideas DC ever had. The speed force gives them a quick and easy answer as to how/why their speedsters can casually shatter the laws of physics on any given day.

Marvel tends to abide by the rules a lot more where speed is concerned, imo. That's likely one of the main reasons why their speedsters are, in general, thought of as inferior to DC's.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Apr 4th, 2011 at 09:59 PM

Old Post Apr 4th, 2011 09:56 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Parmaniac
Evincar of KMC

Originally posted by Allankles
I don't even think "travel" speed should come into it. "Travel speed" should just be called "space travel capability" because there's plenty of characters that can generate the energy needed to propel through space from point A to B but are not in anyway speedy or speedsters.
Yeah Spcetravel is just a plot thing, even stupid earth spaceships can travel almost instantly from point A to point B no matter where point B is in the universe.

“I once had an entire race killed just to listen to the rattling of their dried bones as I waded through them.” —Volrath

Old Post Apr 4th, 2011 09:57 PM
Parmaniac is currently offline Click here to Send Parmaniac a Private Message Find more posts by Parmaniac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

Writers have switched company so many times throughout the decades that it makes it rather ridiculous to believe that when they are at Marvel "writers portray speed differently, just because". No, fact of the matter is that Marvel characters simply aren't that fast, with a few exceptions - like Runner, Makkari, Quicksilver, Northstar - who are closer to the top DC levels of superspeed. It's just that the characters that they want to have it the most - Thor, Thanos, Surfer - don't, and it hurts.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Apr 4th, 2011 10:01 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

Originally posted by PillarofOsiris
Superman has lifted infinite weight, his punches have ruptured time and space and reality, and that's just Superman. There's DC characters who've been depicted as towing around solar systems.
yeah... well... we all know the book and Spectre feats are bullshit. Also, PC Superman is bullshit.

Take current characters from both universes and Marvel just seems to be physically stronger (lifting feats)... I'm not claiming this to be fact tho.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2011 10:02 PM
Mindset

Originally posted by Philosophía
Surfer
No, he does.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Apr 4th, 2011 10:03 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote