KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Anti-Monitor vs Death of the Endless

Anti-Monitor vs Death of the Endless
Started by: Urban Ninja

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Urban Ninja

Anti-Monitor vs Death of the Endless

Who wins .

Old Post Jun 15th, 2012 02:02 PM
Urban Ninja is currently offline Click here to Send Urban Ninja a Private Message Find more posts by Urban Ninja Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cogito

The Endless are much more the embodiment of their abstract concepts than Marvel's, IMO. IIRC, the only way Death of the Endless would cease to exist is if all life ceased.

So it would stand to reason that if the Anti-Monitor destroyed everything, that Death would cease to exist. Except he'd still be alive, and I don't know if he would have to die for Death to end.

So yeah, doesn't work like Marvel where Death runs and/or gets kicked to the curb every time there's a big baddie around the corner.

"And then there was nothing. A once broken something now void.
And on the first day, Doom spoke...
'Be.'
And then there was life."

Old Post Jun 15th, 2012 02:33 PM
Cogito is currently offline Click here to Send Cogito a Private Message Find more posts by Cogito Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^ I completely agree. I've always liked the fact that DC deals with the Endless as concepts first, and characters second.

For instance, we saw in this scene that Death and Destiny are the last 'things' that survive at the end of all things:
(please log in to view the image)

Once everything else is destroyed, the concept Destiny embodies no longer has any meaning--so Death takes him. Once Destiny is gone, there is no longer a need for the concept Death embodies, as everything else throughout creation is dead... So her final task is to: "put it all in order, and lock the place behind her as she leaves."

Loved that scene.

---

Anyway, in a one-on-one battle, there is really no way AM can kill/beat the concept of Death... Sounds like an oxymoron, actually.

Death wins.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Jun 15th, 2012 at 03:18 PM

Old Post Jun 15th, 2012 03:16 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

How does Death on the other hand defeat AM?

Old Post Jun 15th, 2012 03:30 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Hard to say. The Endless weren't centered around battled/feats. They're more infallible then that.

All I know is that AM cannot harm her.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2012 03:42 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Some beings are beyond her power and influence though, no?

I know Lucifer was, how about the Spectre?

Old Post Jun 15th, 2012 03:48 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NemeBro

IIRC , didn't Lucy admit that he could die ?

Old Post Jun 15th, 2012 03:50 PM
TheGodKiller02 is currently offline Click here to Send TheGodKiller02 a Private Message Find more posts by TheGodKiller02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by NemeBro

I assume this is the scene you're referring to:
Lucifer: "You have no claim on me."

However,earlier on these comments were made:
Lucifer: "From birth to death. How small our circuits are. How unerringly we find the paths that will unmake us... Even we who call ourselves immortal."

Death: "I know, I know. Not quite time, YET."

I think that Lucifer may have meant that Death had no claim on him at THAT point in time. After all, we know Angels can be killed under the right circumstances... And Death certainly implied that she would eventually take Lucifer. /shrug

---

Anyway, AM has been killed before--so he is definitely not beyond Death's influence.

Last edited by Galan007 on Jun 15th, 2012 at 04:15 PM

Old Post Jun 15th, 2012 04:00 PM
Cogito

^ Yet Michael, when he died in the void, returned to life immediately thereafter.

So, Death, with regards to Michael (& Lucifer, presumably) remains ambiguous.

'Be.'

Old Post Jun 15th, 2012 04:33 PM
Cogito is currently offline Click here to Send Cogito a Private Message Find more posts by Cogito Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Cogito
^ Yet Michael, when he died in the void, returned to life immediately thereafter.

So, Death, with regards to Michael (& Lucifer, presumably) remains ambiguous.
That scene still confuses me. Did Michael reform, or did Lucifer recreate him? Seems to me that if Michael can fully reform so easily under his own power, he would have done so eons prior to Lucifer slicing him... Instead of, you know, spending all that time near-death in a dungeon. /shrug

Last edited by Galan007 on Jun 15th, 2012 at 04:53 PM

Old Post Jun 15th, 2012 04:51 PM
Cogito

Originally posted by Galan007
Seems to me that if Michael can fully reform so easily under his own power, he would have done so eons prior to Lucifer slicing him... Instead of, you know, spending all that time near-death in a dungeon. /shrug

That was his problem, from my interpretation. He wasn't killed...he was kept by Sandalphon in a nearly dead state but never allowed to die. Perhaps he could have killed himself, but that would have released his energies and destroyed creation.

That's how I read it, at least.

'Be.'

Old Post Jun 15th, 2012 04:56 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^ So Michael can only reform after he 'dies'? Crikey, that doesn't make sense to me. Guess it is a logical answer though--depending on your interpretation.

Either way, I still don't think Lucifer is beyond Death in the literal sense. If anything had the potential to die, be destroyed, etc. then Death has some stake in them--and imo, Lucifer's own statement coupled with Death's remark, implies that he can/will die at some point.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2012 05:00 PM
Cogito

^ So Michael can only reform after he 'dies'? Crikey, that doesn't make sense to me. Guess it is a logical answer though--depending on your interpretation.
I feel like my interpretation was supported by some statement on panel. I'll look into it when I have time.

Either way, I still don't think Lucifer is beyond Death in the literal sense. If anything had the potential to die, be destroyed, etc. then Death has some stake in them--and imo, Lucifer's own statement coupled with Death's remark, implies that he can/will die at some point.
We'll never know now.

'Be.'

Old Post Jun 15th, 2012 05:03 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I feel like my interpretation was supported by some statement on panel. I'll look into it when I have time.
Cool. I don't remember seeing that type of comment, but it has also been a long time since I read the Lucifer series thoroughly--so it may very well exist.

Let me know if you find it.

We'll never know now.
Lucky for you.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2012 05:06 PM
Senor Cage

Death.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2012 09:29 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zopzop
Lord of the Great Abyss

COIE AM (at full power) stomps Her and Her entire family.

Non COIE AM is weaksauce so she wins.

..even the outer hells are indifferent matters for they bow only to potent and archaic Nodens.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2012 10:25 PM
zopzop is online now! Click here to Send zopzop a Private Message Find more posts by zopzop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dream Stuff

That scene still confuses me. Did Michael reform, or did Lucifer recreate him? Seems to me that if Michael can fully reform so easily under his own power, he would have done so eons prior to Lucifer slicing him... Instead of, you know, spending all that time near-death in a dungeon. /shrug

I don't have the scan on me, but I seem to remember Lucifer waving his hand when mike is reformed. I took that to mean that the newly omnipotent Lucifer recreated him.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2012 12:26 AM
Dream Stuff is currently offline Click here to Send Dream Stuff a Private Message Find more posts by Dream Stuff Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Glorificus

Originally posted by zopzop
COIE AM (at full power) stomps Her and Her entire family.

Non COIE AM is weaksauce so she wins.

I have to agree with this.

Something like COIE AM should be beyond Abstracts. Just like Lucifer and Michael should be beyond Abstracts.

Regular AM would lose though. Probably by sheer "aging", in the sense that when their universe ends, he's one of the beings that'll be gone before Destiny and Death finally go.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2012 01:44 AM
Glorificus is currently offline Click here to Send Glorificus a Private Message Find more posts by Glorificus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AlmightyKfish
This Is No Longer A City.

Death wins, it's been stated a number of times that unlike most of the Endless, Death really doesn't have any rules governing her, other than what she imposes, and can just outright kill beings (for instance, Dream, a multiversal abstract), and the Furies who were destroying the entire Dreaming and had been stated to have taken revenge on entire universes were clearly fearful of her when she got angry.

quote:

Seeing what happens at Ygdrasil later in the series, I assumed it was Lucifer who reformed Michael, seeing as later even when Elaine shunts the power into a third creation, Michael doesn't resurrect himself (although that could be put down to the fact he used Elaine as a vessal....

quote:
I have to agree with this.

Something like COIE AM should be beyond Abstracts. Just like Lucifer and Michael should be beyond Abstracts.

I'd disagree here, as powerful as COIE AM was, he was still under the influence of the Endless, as seen namely in the fact that he died. As powerful as he was there's nothing particularly abstract about him...

I'd say the big difference between AM and Michael and Lucifer is that M/L are essentially embodiments of the Presence made flesh (power/will), so are beyond essentially anything in terms of raw power (although both are still subject to Death and Destiny at least)

Taskmaster The Molecule Man

Old Post Jun 16th, 2012 08:51 AM
AlmightyKfish is currently offline Click here to Send AlmightyKfish a Private Message Find more posts by AlmightyKfish Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kevdude
The Hooded Man

Originally posted by AlmightyKfish
Death wins, it's been stated a number of times that unlike most of the Endless, Death really doesn't have any rules governing her, other than what she imposes, and can just outright kill beings (for instance, Dream, a multiversal abstract), and the Furies who were destroying the entire Dreaming and had been stated to have taken revenge on entire universes were clearly fearful of her when she got angry.

Seeing what happens at Ygdrasil later in the series, I assumed it was Lucifer who reformed Michael, seeing as later even when Elaine shunts the power into a third creation, Michael doesn't resurrect himself (although that could be put down to the fact he used Elaine as a vessal....

I'd disagree here, as powerful as COIE AM was, he was still under the influence of the Endless, as seen namely in the fact that he died. As powerful as he was there's nothing particularly abstract about him...

I'd say the big difference between AM and Michael and Lucifer is that M/L are essentially embodiments of the Presence made flesh (power/will), so are beyond essentially anything in terms of raw power (although both are still subject to Death and Destiny at least)

thumb up

Death of the Endless. Madame Xanadu tried binding Death, only to be told that it wouldn't work because magic doesn't really work on her, I don't think much does. Madame defining Death saying shes "The one who trumps and defines all of existence".

Btw I've always thought it was Michael just reforming himself and Lucifer moving his hands and arms in that way was something to do with his multiverse but from looking at it from Lucifer reforming Michael that makes more sense to me.

The Word

Old Post Jun 16th, 2012 11:44 AM
kevdude is currently offline Click here to Send kevdude a Private Message Find more posts by kevdude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote