KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Annihilus vs Thor

Annihilus vs Thor
Started by: cdtm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Annihilus vs Thor

Who wins?

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 06:03 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ThereIsHope

Proably Thor

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 07:35 PM
ThereIsHope is currently offline Click here to Send ThereIsHope a Private Message Find more posts by ThereIsHope Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dmills
Centurion Prime

Done a few times already C.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 09:24 PM
dmills is currently offline Click here to Send dmills a Private Message Find more posts by dmills Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nihilist

If this is current Thor he gets one shotted

Big thanks to Scythe

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 09:26 PM
Nihilist is currently offline Click here to Send Nihilist a Private Message Find more posts by Nihilist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nihilist
If this is current Thor he gets one shotted

lul, wut. How is current any different than classic? In the past year, off the top of my head, he's pulled out the godblast on a couple occasions, gut-checked himself against Mercy by producing 3 consecutive feats that are as good as anything he's ever done, stalemated Surfer (in an admittedly unconvincing fight), and one-shotted the Demiurge. And there are others. Other than jobbing to various incarnations of the Hulk, how is he one-shot-by-Annihilus weak?

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 09:33 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

Originally posted by Digi
lul, wut. How is current any different than classic? In the past year, off the top of my head, he's pulled out the godblast on a couple occasions, gut-checked himself against Mercy by producing 3 consecutive feats that are as good as anything he's ever done, stalemated Surfer (in an admittedly unconvincing fight), and one-shotted the Demiurge. And there are others. Other than jobbing to various incarnations of the Hulk, how is he one-shot-by-Annihilus weak?

this stick out tongue

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 09:37 PM
Sin I AM is currently offline Click here to Send Sin I AM a Private Message Find more posts by Sin I AM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dmills
Centurion Prime

Other than jobbing to various incarnations of the Hulk, how is he one-shot-by-Annihilus weak?

He was one-shot by Taurus that's why

On a serious note though, outside of the usual "team book" type of shenanigans, current Thor has some pretty hardcore feats. Certainly as much as anyone on that scale of power.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 09:44 PM
dmills is currently offline Click here to Send dmills a Private Message Find more posts by dmills Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Well sure, I suppose if all you read is Avengers, you'd have a much different view of Thor. But then, that's almost always been true. Most of his uber feats from the classic era came from his solo book.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 09:47 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Pretty much.

While Fraction took Thor's personality and characterization and decided to nuke it to hell, he didn't effect Thor's power level at all.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 09:49 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dmills
Centurion Prime

Well sure, I suppose if all you read is Avengers, you'd have a much different view of Thor. But then, that's almost always been true. Most of his uber feats from the classic era came from his solo book.

Yep. Which run of Thor is your favorite?

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 09:51 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

I've discovered recently that there's two storytelling reasons for the heavy hitters jobbing in team books. The most-cited one is that they'd end the fights and threats too quickly, so the writer has to get them out of the plot somehow. This is valid.

But the other reason is that it helps sell the bad guy. "Holy crap, he just one-shotted {insert most powerful character}! This must be serious. To win, we're going to need teamwork." Equally as stupid, but I saw like 3 occurrences of this in rapid succession recently, and only then did it dawn on me.

So yeah, two different Thors. Avengers Thor, despite being called the heavy hitter, is occasionally no better in a fight than Iron Man.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 09:54 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by dmills
Yep. Which run of Thor is your favorite?

That limited run with Ego and the Collector was cool. Great, great art, and it treated Thor with sort of a detached dignity that hasn't been around for a while. Of recent arcs, that gets my vote.

Last edited by Digi on Jun 21st, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 09:56 PM
Nihilist

SMH, i wasnt been serious but Thor has been one shot 3 times as of late.

But Annihilus is capable of draining Thor.

Big thanks to Scythe

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 10:00 PM
Nihilist is currently offline Click here to Send Nihilist a Private Message Find more posts by Nihilist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

That's a good question that I'm not 100% prepared to answer right now. I follow his book, but not as religiously as, say, Spider-Man, so I'm not sure I can differentiate between arcs. Occasionally I'll skip issues and such, so my knowledge of him isn't complete. Maybe I'll get back to you.

{edit} Oh, wait, that limited run with Ego and the Collector was cool. Great, great art, and it treated Thor with sort of a detached dignity that hasn't been around for a while. Of recent arcs, that gets my vote.

I really liked Astonishing Thor, too. People hardly depict Thor in that noble light as he should be nowadays. In large part due to the movies, which showed us an arrogant and boisterous Thor, I'd imagine.

Writers seem to forget, or not care, that Thor underwent something called character development years ago.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 10:00 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Nihilist
SMH, i wasnt been serious but Thor has been one shot 3 times as of late.

But Annihilus is capable of draining Thor.

Heh, ok. It's hard to tell with you.

Valid point, but there seems to be two different Thors in comics these days. I don't want to ignore the bad entirely, but I think we can agree he isn't without some High Herald or higher feats and appearances in recent history.

No argument on the fight overall. I wasn't going to comment, but the one-shot thing was too odd not to correct.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 10:05 PM
Nihilist

Heh, ok. It's hard to tell with you.

Valid point, but there seems to be two different Thors in comics these days. I don't want to ignore the bad entirely, but I think we can agree he isn't without some High Herald or higher feats and appearances in recent history.

No argument on the fight overall. I wasn't going to comment, but the one-shot thing was too odd not to correct.
Hard to tell with me? you act as if im some times quick tempered and serious!!

IIRC didnt Annihilus do well against Thor previously?

Big thanks to Scythe

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 10:08 PM
dmills
Centurion Prime

I've discovered recently that there's two storytelling reasons for the heavy hitters jobbing in team books. The most-cited one is that they'd end the fights and threats too quickly, so the writer has to get them out of the plot somehow. This is valid.

But the other reason is that it helps sell the bad guy. "Holy crap, he just one-shotted {insert most powerful character}! This must be serious. To win, we're going to need teamwork." Equally as stupid, but I saw like 3 occurrences of this in rapid succession recently, and only then did it dawn on me.

So yeah, two different Thors. Avengers Thor, despite being called the heavy hitter, is occasionally no better in a fight than Iron Man.

I was actually having this conversation with my son. He only knows Thor Vis-a-vis the Avengers movie, various cartoons (i.e. Hulk vs, EMH) so as you would expect, his view of Thor isn't too high. For him the notion that Thor is as powerful if not more so then say, the Hulk doesn't compute at all. When I told him that in the actual source material Thor has feats that trump most anything that the Hulk has ever done, his reaction was incredulous lol.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 10:09 PM
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Yeah, last time I remember them fighting, Annihilus was amped off of Asgardians he had kidnapped and drained. I think they may have had another fight since then, but it's been a while.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 10:10 PM
CosmicComet

Basically, what you described is the Worf Effect.

I would never, ever, have the likes of Superman or Thor in a team full of relative pussies. You'd have to be at least 'half' (unquantifiable as that is) as powerful to be on a team with them if I were writing.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 10:11 PM
CosmicComet is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicComet a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicComet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Originally posted by dmills
I was actually having this conversation with my son. He only knows Thor Vis-a-vis the Avengers movie, various cartoons (i.e. Hulk vs, EMH) so as you would expect, his view of Thor isn't too high. For him the notion that Thor is as powerful if not more so then say, the Hulk doesn't compute at all. When I told him that in the actual source material Thor has feats that trump most anything that the Hulk has ever done, his reaction was incredulous lol.

Continue preaching the truth to your son, dmills.

The Realm Eternal smiles upon thee.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 10:11 PM