KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Communications » News & Questions » Computer Help Forum » Boot device.

Boot device.
Started by: Spidervlad

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Spidervlad
Renegade of Funk

Boot device.

Okey, one happy and snowy day I was beating the crap out of Darth Malak in KOTOR on my high end gaming comp. I turned off the computer and went to sleep. Next day, I turn it on, and get this. It tells me "Select proper boot device and reboot, or insert boot media and press any key"

Once I enter a Windows XP boot CD, it prompts me to install Windows. Then, it tells me my computer does not have a hard disk or hardware.

WTF?!

Made by Me! Click here to see my work or request a sig!

Old Post Feb 17th, 2007 01:01 AM
Spidervlad is currently offline Click here to Send Spidervlad a Private Message Find more posts by Spidervlad Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spidervlad
Renegade of Funk

*bump*

Old Post Feb 18th, 2007 03:44 AM
Spidervlad is currently offline Click here to Send Spidervlad a Private Message Find more posts by Spidervlad Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

Re: Boot device.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Spidervlad
Okey, one happy and snowy day I was beating the crap out of Darth Malak in KOTOR on my high end gaming comp. I turned off the computer and went to sleep. Next day, I turn it on, and get this. It tells me "Select proper boot device and reboot, or insert boot media and press any key"

Once I enter a Windows XP boot CD, it prompts me to install Windows. Then, it tells me my computer does not have a hard disk or hardware.

WTF?!

Go to Mobo BIOS settings (by pressing F8 or DEL key) and check that your HDD is being detected or not. And if your HDD is not being detected then shut down the PC and check that the Data Cable is inserted properly in the HDD.

And then report back.

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on Feb 19th, 2007 at 08:04 AM

Old Post Feb 19th, 2007 08:02 AM
S_W_LeGenD is currently offline Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spidervlad
Renegade of Funk

I suck at hardware. Where's the datacable and where should I insert it into?

Old Post Feb 19th, 2007 06:18 PM
LinixCobra
Hablo Espanol

I highly doubt that your HDD cable would come lose. Do you know how hard it is for it to become detachable? You really have to use some force to get it out. Just check your boot options in your BIOS and set the HDD to first.

big grin-- Laughing is good happy laughing--

Old Post Feb 19th, 2007 06:23 PM
LinixCobra is currently offline Click here to Send LinixCobra a Private Message Find more posts by LinixCobra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spidervlad
Renegade of Funk

Look guys, i'm really rookie at this, so I'll need some more descriptive steps.

Okey. I go into my BIOS using TAB, then I either press F8 for boot popup or DELETE for setup.

What do I do next?

Old Post Feb 19th, 2007 06:40 PM
S_W_LeGenD

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Spidervlad
Look guys, i'm really rookie at this, so I'll need some more descriptive steps.

Okey. I go into my BIOS using TAB, then I either press F8 for boot popup or DELETE for setup.

What do I do next?

No!

I mistakenly said F8 before but it is actually F2 Key.

You can use F2 or DEL Key to gain entry in to the Mobo BIOS when you start your computer.

Here are the steps:

- Start your PC.
- Prese F2 or DEL Key to gain entry in to BIOS Settings.
- Now look for HDD option in the BIOS and check that whether it is being detected or not. If HDD is detected then its size and statistics will be shown in the BIOS and if HDD is not detected then HDD statistics will not be shown.
- Now (in case of HDD not being detected in the BIOS), shut down the PC.
- Then open a side panel of your PC and you will see all the PC Components attached to each other from inside.
- You will notice your HDD as well and a Data Cable will be attached to it from behind.
- Then check that this Data Cable is properly attached.

After doing all these steps you then report back.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2007 07:05 PM
S_W_LeGenD is currently offline Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spidervlad
Renegade of Funk

Okey, once I press delete it puts me onto the screen which tells me something Dual Core, and tells me my CPU speed of 3.20, so everything about my CPU. Then it loads me onto the screen with a few subcategories:
MAIN
POWER
ADVANCED
EXIT

What now?

Old Post Feb 19th, 2007 07:23 PM
Spidervlad
Renegade of Funk

Nevermind, I just looked up at all the controls and saw my SATA was disables. Weird. I enabled it, and it booted up.

THanks for all your help guys

Old Post Feb 19th, 2007 08:05 PM
BlkMrkt

Buy a new computer.

teh k0ngu plec lolz
[/coluorzz]

Old Post Feb 19th, 2007 08:47 PM
BlkMrkt is currently offline Click here to Send BlkMrkt a Private Message Find more posts by BlkMrkt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote