KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Prophets?

Prophets?
Started by: Regret

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Regret
One Among Many

Prophets?

I decided to start this because I myself don't understand the objection Christians have to God speaking to a prophet today.

Here is the question:

What are the Biblical references that support the idea that a prophet cannot exist today?

An appropriate answer should also include your rationale for your interpretation if the verse can be interpreted in another way than your personal, or your religions, belief has interpreted it. In other words define your method for coming to your interpretation of the scripture rather than just saying "the Holy Spirit told me so." There should be support for your interpretation.

Robbin' from the rich to give to themselves

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2006 07:10 PM
Regret is currently offline Click here to Send Regret a Private Message Find more posts by Regret Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Good luck.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2006 07:11 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Regret
One Among Many

Thanks, I doubt I'll get much real response to it.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2006 07:16 PM
Regret is currently offline Click here to Send Regret a Private Message Find more posts by Regret Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Regret
Thanks, I doubt I'll get much real response to it.

No.

Some Christians (I guess every one to some degree) are arrogant without really meaning to be. Someone might tell you the scripture, but all they could say about interpretation is that there way is the only way.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2006 07:19 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Regret
One Among Many

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
No.

Some Christians (I guess every one to some degree) are arrogant without really meaning to be. Someone might tell you the scripture, but all they could say about interpretation is that there way is the only way.

That is the typical response I get when asking about their stance against prophets. I never understand it due to the prophets in the Old Testament and beginning of the New Testament, and the fact that by Christ coming and speaking to the apostles following the resurrection the apostles and anyone Christ gave information to at that point can technically be called a prophet, since Christ spoke to them.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2006 07:26 PM
Lucius
Unknown

I never read anywhere in the Bible that says there can't be prophets in the modern day...

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2006 07:27 PM
Lucius is currently offline Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Regret
One Among Many

Originally posted by Jonathan Mark
I never read anywhere in the Bible that says there can't be prophets in the modern day...

I don't believe it says it either, yet there is a strong stance in Christianity against the idea. That is the purpose of this thread, to debate the interpretation that there cannot be.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2006 07:29 PM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

I say...if prophets actually existed...whats to stop them form existing now?

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2006 07:29 PM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Regret
One Among Many

that is my question smile

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2006 07:31 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

I'm a Prophet. no expression

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2006 07:31 PM
Regret
One Among Many

in the Biblical sense?

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2006 07:32 PM
Lucius
Unknown

I don't believe it says it either, yet there is a strong stance in Christianity against the idea. That is the purpose of this thread, to debate the interpretation that there cannot be.

I'm a Christian and I have never heard anything along the lines that you speak of. Of course with all the different types of Christians it's hard to tell.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2006 07:33 PM
Lucius is currently offline Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

in the Biblical sense?

No, I'm not in the bible. I was to late to get in. That is why I became a Buddhist, God pissed me off for putting me here too late.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2006 07:34 PM
Regret
One Among Many

What Christian sect do you belong to?

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2006 07:34 PM
Regret
One Among Many

No, I'm not in the bible. I was to late to get in. That is why I became a Buddhist, God pissed me off for putting me here too late.
laughing

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2006 07:35 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

What Christian sect do you belong to?

I don't, most prophets came from outside the sects.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2006 07:36 PM
Regret
One Among Many

I don't, most prophets came from outside the sects.

lol, was talking to Jon Mark wink but thanks, was good to know laughing

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2006 07:37 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Lets say there are Prophets today. How would you know who is a true prophet, and who is a false prophet?

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2006 07:41 PM
Regret
One Among Many

Lets say there are Prophets today. How would you know who is a true prophet, and who is a false prophet?

Don't really know. Going from Biblical reference I'd say people in general didn't know the answer to this either. It was stated that a prophet is never accepted in his own country (my line could be slightly off there.) I'll look and see if I can find anything that answers the question.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2006 07:44 PM
Regret
One Among Many

I did some searching. I found a lot of information, but I would say that much of it would not be of value to someone not of my faith. Here are some of the quotes that I believe could be relevant to those outside my religion:

quote:

taken from M. Russell Ballard, “Beware of False Prophets and False Teachers,” Ensign, Nov. 1999, 62
They (false prophets) rely on sophistry to deceive and entice others to their views. They “set themselves up for a light unto the world, that they may get gain and praise of the world; but they seek not the welfare of Zion” (2 Ne. 26:29).

quote:
President Joseph F. Smith warned when he spoke of the “proud and self-vaunting ones, who read by the lamps of their own conceit; who interpret by rules of their own contriving; who have become a law unto themselves, and so pose as the sole judges of their own doings” (Gospel Doctrine, 381).

quote:

taken from M. Russell Ballard, “Beware of False Prophets and False Teachers,” Ensign, Nov. 1999, 62
False prophets and false teachers are those who arrogantly attempt to fashion new interpretations of the scriptures to demonstrate that these sacred texts should not be read as God’s words to His children but merely as the utterances of uninspired men, limited by their own prejudices and cultural biases. They argue, therefore, that the scriptures require new interpretation and that they are uniquely qualified to offer that interpretation.
I know that this one would only be relevant to followers of the Bible

quote:
“False prophets,” according to the Prophet Joseph Smith, “always arise to oppose the true prophets” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, sel. Joseph Fielding Smith [1976], 365). This one is a bit circular, you need one of the two to be defined in order to use it.

I'll keep looking from time to time and see if I can find more reference.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2006 09:10 PM