KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Why do christians hate evolution?

Why do christians hate evolution?
Started by: lord xyz

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why do christians hate evolution?

Can't put it better than Brett Keane.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DV4XNkl6GUc

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 05:56 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
InnerRise
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ummm b/c it undermines everything that they believe in. no expression

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

"I'll Stay Gold For U.H."

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 07:54 PM
InnerRise is currently offline Click here to Send InnerRise a Private Message Find more posts by InnerRise Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

I don't think it has as much to do with the findings of evolution being incompatable with the teachings of the church as mr Keane seems to insinuate.

Honestly, I don't think the majority of the people who oppose evolution have even the most rudimentary understanding of the concept. Look at the Chick tracts and other pieces of anti-evolutionary literature. There is no attempt what so ever to make evolution fit with scripture, even though as Keane shows, it does not take a whole lot of word mincing to come up with a non literal interpretation of genesis that fits with the fossil record.

So why then do Christians hate evolution? I think it is more related to who they turn to as the "purvayer of truth". All individuals, scientists, christians and everyone in between, have certain contextual characteristics that to them, tell them what they are hearing is true.

For most people, a piece of information told to them by a random stranger on the street is less pursuasive than the same information told in the context of a newsbroadcast. The same way people give increadable amounts of authority to their doctor, seeing as they "should know".

For Christians, these contextual cues have been built in from a very young age. Even in the least active and manipulative church services, one still engages in standing and sitting, reading and responding, all at the whim of an individual in a ceremonial costume, standing in front of everyone, normally on an elivated stage type thing.

Note, the only thing I am saying at this point is that Christians from a very young age are indoctrinated to believe the words that a pastor or priest utters more than those uttered by someone else. So when it comes to evolution, most Christians are just doing what their priest tells them.

Clearly it isn't this simple. There are economic factors to consider, cognitive dissonance effects, and many other reasons why the church would want people to furvently believe what they are selling, but for the most part, I would say christians hate evolution because they have been told to.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 08:52 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

Re: Why do christians hate evolution?

[QUOTE=8730852]Originally posted by lord xyz

I don't hate it. I embrace it. And yes, I'm Christian. wink

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 08:55 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JesusIsAlive
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Why do christians hate evolution?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by lord xyz
Can't put it better than Brett Keane.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DV4XNkl6GUc

I hate lies and the theory of evolution is a lie. God created all life and He did not use evolution to do it based on the Scriptures.

Proof of Hell? || Dr. Donald Whitaker, Research-Scientist/Chemist

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 09:56 PM
JesusIsAlive is currently offline Click here to Send JesusIsAlive a Private Message Find more posts by JesusIsAlive Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Re: Why do christians hate evolution?

Originally posted by JesusIsAlive
I hate lies and the theory of evolution is a lie. God created all life and He did not use evolution to do it based on the Scriptures.

Then you should hate the bible, for it is filled with lies. wink

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 10:01 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

could you sum up what the theory of evolution is, in your own words, say... in a paragraph?

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 10:02 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

Originally posted by InnerRise
Ummm b/c it undermines everything that they believe in. no expression

It undermines a fundamentalist viewpoint, but that's it. There are a lot of Christians who believe in evolution.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 10:04 PM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
InnerRise
Restricted

Account Restricted

But we're talking about those Christians that HATE evolution.

"I'll Stay Gold For U.H."

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 11:01 PM
InnerRise is currently offline Click here to Send InnerRise a Private Message Find more posts by InnerRise Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
reborn_213
Scruffy Nerf Herder

So the world is flat?
People can only have the skin tone of Adam and Eve, because it would not change through evolution?
"Below" the Earth is Hell? Would that be the center?
Heaven is in the clouds?
The sun rotates around the Earth?

That book can't really be relied on.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 11:58 PM
reborn_213 is currently offline Click here to Send reborn_213 a Private Message Find more posts by reborn_213 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AngryManatee
Sexy Ham Manwich

Your evidence to why evolution is a lie is quite compelling Happy Dance

You don't need good rear vision because you're always in front!

Old Post Apr 11th, 2007 12:04 AM
AngryManatee is currently offline Click here to Send AngryManatee a Private Message Find more posts by AngryManatee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

Originally posted by jollyjim311
So the world is flat?
People can only have the skin tone of Adam and Eve, because it would not change through evolution?
"Below" the Earth is Hell? Would that be the center?
Heaven is in the clouds?
The sun rotates around the Earth?

That book can't really be relied on.
You apparently haven't read the Bible.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2007 12:05 AM
Nellinator is currently offline Click here to Send Nellinator a Private Message Find more posts by Nellinator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Originally posted by Strangelove
It undermines a fundamentalist viewpoint, but that's it. There are a lot of Christians who believe in evolution.

It undermines church authority, it undermines religious tradition, and it undermines the innerancy of the Bible.

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Apr 11th, 2007 12:07 AM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

Originally posted by Alliance
It undermines church authority, it undermines religious tradition, and it undermines the innerancy of the Bible.
Maybe certain denominations, yes, though tradition is overrated, no it doesn't.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2007 12:08 AM
Nellinator is currently offline Click here to Send Nellinator a Private Message Find more posts by Nellinator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Nellinator

Doesn't the Bible say the Earth [world] rest on four pillars?

(It's been several years since I've read it)

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Apr 11th, 2007 12:09 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

I have.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2007 12:10 AM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

Originally posted by Robtard
Doesn't the Bible say the Earth [world] rest on four pillars?

(It's been several years since I've read it)
Yes, but that hardly qualifies the world as being flat. It was used as justification... obviously incorrectly.
Originally posted by debbiejo
I have.
Good for you.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2007 12:12 AM
debbiejo
Dreamer

Yes it is good for me. Knowing the truth will make you free. Try it.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2007 12:14 AM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

Old Post Apr 11th, 2007 12:15 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

Yes, but that hardly qualifies the world as being flat. It was used as justification... obviously incorrectly.

But the world (a globe like shape) does rest on four pillars regardless?

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Apr 11th, 2007 12:17 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote