KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » did got set humans up to fail?

did got set humans up to fail?
Started by: chickenlover98

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
chickenlover98
Loving Chickens

god is supposed to be omniscient and omnipotent right? therefore he fortold that eve would be tempted by the snake. so he wanted them to fail, making us be kicked out of paradise.

my next thought: free will is a joke.

let me explain: god can see the future therefore he knows what you will do. you cant change what your going to do because it is oing to come true. therefore free will is an illusion

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 12:21 AM
chickenlover98 is currently offline Click here to Send chickenlover98 a Private Message Find more posts by chickenlover98 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LatinoStallion
Perfection

Re: did got set humans up to fail?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by chickenlover98
god is supposed to be omniscient and omnipotent right? therefore he fortold that eve would be tempted by the snake. so he wanted them to fail, making us be kicked out of paradise.

let me explain: god can see the future therefore he knows what you will do. you cant change what your going to do because it is oing to come true. therefore free will is an illusion

This has been done before in other threads.

Free Will is not entirely free. There are conditions (desire, influence, and necessity) which determine your choices. God or no God, destiny or chance, Free Will isn't entirely Free to begin with.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 12:35 AM
LatinoStallion is currently offline Click here to Send LatinoStallion a Private Message Find more posts by LatinoStallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: did got set humans up to fail?

Originally posted by chickenlover98

I will give you the simple answer: no one can understand the true nature of reality. We can learn more and more over time, but we will never be completely right. The people who write the bible did not understand the true nature of God, but they thought they understand some small aspect, and they wrote it down. They were wrong, just like we are wrong.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 02:22 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

lol at the thought progression. "First! The Fall of Man. Second! Free Will Sucks."

Good times.

But yeah, generally I agree, in spirit if not execution.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 02:22 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chickenlover98
Loving Chickens

Re: Re: did got set humans up to fail?

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I will give you the simple answer: no one can understand the true nature of reality. We can learn more and more over time, but we will never be completely right. The people who write the bible did not understand the true nature of God, but they thought they understand some small aspect, and they wrote it down. They were wrong, just like we are wrong.

thats not simple. its complex if you think about it. i love your reasoning though. thank you big grin

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 04:15 AM
chickenlover98 is currently offline Click here to Send chickenlover98 a Private Message Find more posts by chickenlover98 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
anaconda
Jukebox

quote:
man set god(s) up to fail

never argue with an idiot, they only drag you down to their level and beat you by experience

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 04:07 PM
anaconda is currently offline Click here to Send anaconda a Private Message Find more posts by anaconda Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LatinoStallion
Perfection

If you read through the Bible, there are instances where it does seem that God will test someone by making the circumstances such that it is almost impossible to prevail or stay loyal to God (story of Job for example).

However, I think these are stories about Human Limits, and I think the message is supposed to be that we have the ability to endure anything if we keep a strong Faith in God.

A controversial message, but a nice one I think. What I would personally derive from that is that the human mind is very powerful, and the mind exceeds the body. If one's will is that strong, than he or she can endure or surpass nearly anything circumstance has to offer.

As for the Adam and Eve story....I personally feel it is completely flawed. God allowed the serpant to tempt Adam and Eve. God put the Tree of Knowledge there, when he should have located it somewhere else. God tested his first creations, wanting to know how loyal they really were- an egotistic entity indeed.

Secondly, for the mistake of eating the fruit, God cast upon Adam and Eve an eternal punishment.....life of hardship, having thier hardships pass upon thier children and thier children (personally, I don't know how Cain and Abel had kids)

*I do not feel a child is responsible for the "wrongs" of his or her father or mother.

The story of Adam and Eve, is too similiar to Pandora's Box, and thus, irrelevant to me.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 07:08 PM
LatinoStallion is currently offline Click here to Send LatinoStallion a Private Message Find more posts by LatinoStallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

I don't believe God can see the future, so no, he didn't set us up for failure.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 08:49 PM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Quiero Mota
I don't believe God can see the future, so no, he didn't set us up for failure.

Then god is not all knowing. wink

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 08:55 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Then god is not all knowing. wink

Exactly. It would make no sense to create someone, just to eternally torture them.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 08:56 PM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Exactly. It would make no sense to create someone, just to eternally torture them.

Then the bible is wrong when it says that god is all knowing?

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 09:24 PM
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Bible is written by many different people who don't know what they're talking about.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 10:37 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

See this? This is verbal defecation: BLAARGH.

It is better than this thread.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 10:49 PM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
See this? This is verbal defecation: BLAARGH.

It is better than this thread.

Are you talking about yourself? confused

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 10:59 PM
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

I am better than this thread, yes, but I was not talking about myself.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2007 01:04 AM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Let us suppose that God is wholly omniscient--He knows everything, including the future. Thus, God has known from the beginning--as much as He has a beginning, considering He is without one--everything that mankind has done and will do. Furthermore, God has known everything that He has done and will do.

Let us further suppose that the "omniscience paradox" applies to God. Because of this, humans are totally without free will. However, since God's omniscience applies to Himself, God too is bound by the omniscience paradox--God cannot go against what God has always known that He will do. Therefore, God lacks free will.

What does this mean? Well, for one thing, it entirely negates the argument about God being unfair for throwing people into hell; God lacks free will, so He cannot do anything but throw people into hell. Additionally, it negates pretty much any argument against God on the basis of "omg he's mean!1!"

Welcome to failure. Our inability to control our destinies makes me smile, as I'm not to blame for my actions.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2007 07:07 AM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Let us suppose that God is wholly omniscient--He knows everything, including the future. Thus, God has known from the beginning--as much as He has a beginning, considering He is without one--everything that mankind has done and will do. Furthermore, God has known everything that He has done and will do.

Let us further suppose that the "omniscience paradox" applies to God. Because of this, humans are totally without free will. However, since God's omniscience applies to Himself, God too is bound by the omniscience paradox--God cannot go against what God has always known that He will do. Therefore, God lacks free will.

What does this mean? Well, for one thing, it entirely negates the argument about God being unfair for throwing people into hell; God lacks free will, so He cannot do anything but throw people into hell. Additionally, it negates pretty much any argument against God on the basis of "omg he's mean!1!"

Welcome to failure. Our inability to control our destinies makes me smile, as I'm not to blame for my actions.

If you are right, there is something that god cannot do. That is to go against "his" destiny. Then that means that god is limited in some way, and is not omnipotent.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2007 07:23 AM
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

This is true. It would require a paradigm shift in the nature of God, but it would certainly get rid of most of the arguments against the existence of God.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2007 01:55 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

This is true. It would require a paradigm shift in the nature of God, but it would certainly get rid of most of the arguments against the existence of God.

Yes, but it would established the fact that the bible is fallible.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2007 02:56 PM
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

That's not really relevant.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2007 03:26 PM