KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Christmas, why celebrate it?

Christmas, why celebrate it?
Started by: Bicnarok

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Christmas, why celebrate it?

Its isnīt Jesus Birthday.
Jews didnīt celebrate Birthdays anyway.
Its an adapted pagan Sun god ceremony, like many parts of it.
Its the time of year when the most suicides happen.
Its just one money making scam, commercialized beyond belief.
Father Xmas, Santa Claus, Christkind etc are all fantasy made up characters.

But its a magical time of year for a lot of people, and you get time of work because of it.

But whats should a true religious person do?

Old Post Dec 19th, 2007 06:54 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Maybe this is wrong, but I don't think that a person who is taking part in the commercialized madness is necessarily desecrating the religious meaning. If the intent is genuine and altruistic, then the adherence to consumerism doesn't negate that. "True" religious people, who try to recognize the holiday's Christian meaning, buy and receive gifts too. It's too intrinsic to our society to avoid.

Most Christians do, in fact, realize it isn't Jesus' real birthday, though the majority are equally as unaware of the holiday's true origins. Unlike some aspects of their savior, they're willing to admit that the day is symbolic, not literal.

For the rest of us (the non-religious) it's once again such a societal convention that it can't be avoided. Try telling your kid he's the only one of his friends not getting gifts because you refuse to be a slave to the system. Or try "giving up" buying and receiving gifts some X-Mas. People will still get them for you, because it's such a tradition.

The closest I could ever think to being able to rid oneself of commercialization of the holiday is vowing to return any gifts, and donating the money to a pre-set charity.

Last edited by Digi on Dec 19th, 2007 at 07:14 PM

Old Post Dec 19th, 2007 07:10 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
anaconda
Jukebox

guess we celebrate all the others then

never argue with an idiot, they only drag you down to their level and beat you by experience

Old Post Dec 19th, 2007 07:15 PM
anaconda is currently offline Click here to Send anaconda a Private Message Find more posts by anaconda Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DigiMark007

Most Christians do, in fact, realize it isn't Jesus' real birthday

No one can say this with certainty. I would actually make the opposite assumption.

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post Dec 19th, 2007 07:23 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Well seeing as the sheep were in the fields when he was born its plainly obvious.smile

Old Post Dec 19th, 2007 07:30 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ushomefree

To address this thread, I provided a hyperlink that may provide insight to the question (not to mention statements by DigiMark007--which were not entirely false). The site is called, "Got Questions," and I have found it to be useful in referencing Christian theology, the origins of the faith, and a host of other topics. The site is straight forward, and the host does not pretend to know every answer on the issues. In any case, I hope--those of you who are interested--find the site just as informative as I have. Take care, and enjoy the holidays.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Christmas.html

Old Post Dec 19th, 2007 07:32 PM
ushomefree is currently offline Click here to Send ushomefree a Private Message Find more posts by ushomefree Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by ushomefree
(not to mention statements by DigiMark007--which were not entirely false).

laughing out loud

How kind of you.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2007 07:35 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Originally posted by Bicnarok

But its a magical time of year for a lot of people, and you get time of work because of it.

As a more spiritual person - whilst embracing history, science and illiteral-interpretation of Scripture - I am willing and able to celebrate Christmas (and eschew the so-called "pagan" aspect of it) due to its calls for good-will and love for all humankind. These things, no matter from where they are derived, should be celebrated and venerated as truth, at least in my opinion.

BTW I: Properly speaking, "Christmas" derives from the "pagan" Saturnalia, a Roman festival which venerated the god Saturn and celebrated the winter-equinox. Characteristics of the festival included the reversal of societal-rôles, with masters and slaves becoming equal brethren for at least a time.

BTW II: "Father Christmas/Santa Claus" isn't entirely fictional, he IS based on the historical "Saint Nicholas"....

Old Post Dec 19th, 2007 10:22 PM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Maybe this is wrong, but I don't think that a person who is taking part in the commercialized madness is necessarily desecrating the religious meaning. If the intent is genuine and altruistic, then the adherence to consumerism doesn't negate that. "True" religious people, who try to recognize the holiday's Christian meaning, buy and receive gifts too. It's too intrinsic to our society to avoid.

Most Christians do, in fact, realize it isn't Jesus' real birthday, though the majority are equally as unaware of the holiday's true origins. Unlike some aspects of their savior, they're willing to admit that the day is symbolic, not literal.

For the rest of us (the non-religious) it's once again such a societal convention that it can't be avoided. Try telling your kid he's the only one of his friends not getting gifts because you refuse to be a slave to the system. Or try "giving up" buying and receiving gifts some X-Mas. People will still get them for you, because it's such a tradition.

The closest I could ever think to being able to rid oneself of commercialization of the holiday is vowing to return any gifts, and donating the money to a pre-set charity.

Thats because originally Jesus' birthday was not celebrated in December, that is, until Pope decided so. And it was not in line with Pagan celebration of December.
Christmas was originally celebrated in January.

But that doesn't matter, because its all about buying and more buying. I doubt anyone feels religious during Christmas.

Marketing Directors made sure of that.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Last edited by lil bitchiness on Dec 19th, 2007 at 10:26 PM

Old Post Dec 19th, 2007 10:24 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Thats because originally Jesus' birthday was not celebrated in December, that is, until Pope decided so. And it was not in line with Pagan celebration of December.
Christmas was originally celebrated in January.

But that doesn't matter, because its all about buying and more buying. I doubt anyone feels religious during Christmas.

Marketing Directors made sure of that.

I wouldn't imply that Christmas has lost all of its religious significance, especially for people in my life.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2007 10:27 PM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Re: Christmas, why celebrate it?

Originally posted by Bicnarok

A religious person should celebrate.

It is the day that Christians celebrate the birth of Christ, whether the day is accurate or not is completely irrelevant to that celebration.

Who cares what Jews celebrated? They're not overtly concerned with Christmas anyway.

The basis of the holiday is irrelevant. It is no longer celebrated as the feast of a Sun God (although it is a feast in honor of God's Son )

Connect the suicides to Christmas or it's irrelevant.

Christmas does not have to be celebrated in a commercialized way.

SantaClaus is not a fantasy character. He is based on SaintNicholas which makes him a mythic figure.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2007 10:31 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Questioning the validity and celebration of Christmas should be the least of things to worry about if you're a Christian - I'd be far more interested in discovering the various inconsistencies with regards the various versions of the Scripture, etc., etc.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2007 10:34 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Cheer up, Charlie Brown.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2007 10:35 PM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

I doubt anyone feels religious during Christmas.

And yet we have three services on ChristmasEve and candles get passed out while we sing hymns.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2007 10:39 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Cheer up, Charlie Brown.

I lover Charlie Brown.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Dec 19th, 2007 10:53 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Boris

Hmmmm...

- You get stuff.
- Lots to eat.
- Loads of drink
- Time off college
- Time off work

Lots of reasons!

Old Post Dec 19th, 2007 11:11 PM
Boris is currently offline Click here to Send Boris a Private Message Find more posts by Boris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Boris
Hmmmm...

- You get stuff.
- Lots to eat.
- Loads of drink
- Time off college
- Time off work

Lots of reasons!

- Loads of drink thumb up laughing

Old Post Dec 19th, 2007 11:12 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
anaconda
Jukebox

quote:
SantaClaus is not a fantasy character. He is based on SaintNicholas which makes him a mythic figure
add jesus and I guess we have two mythic figurers of xmas then

never argue with an idiot, they only drag you down to their level and beat you by experience

Old Post Dec 20th, 2007 05:13 AM
anaconda is currently offline Click here to Send anaconda a Private Message Find more posts by anaconda Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
- Loads of drink thumb up laughing

Cue SpearOfDestiny, and requisite gay inference.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2007 05:32 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

I lover Charlie Brown.

Me too, actually. I was going to post the real version, but then I found that and decided I'd play devil's advocate.

wink

But even more entertaining was this:

Old Post Dec 20th, 2007 05:33 AM