KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Church before state.

Church before state.
Started by: Grand_Moff_Gav

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (28): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Grand-Moff-Gav

Church before state.

The question is:

Should Roman Catholic's follow the Pope before the Head of State of their country?

In my opinion, your not a true Catholic if you don't accept that the Pontiff is the successor to Saint Peter and therefore Jesus' appointed representative on Earth.

Thusly, I would put the decrees of the Holy Father before that of the House of Commons or the Queen. Is this unreasonable?

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 08:08 PM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

Isn't this somewhat a variant of your previous question about whether ecclesiastic law should trump common law? erm

In any case the answer is no, imo. But I'm a Hell-bound amoral atheist/agnostic.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 08:12 PM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

quote: (post)
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Isn't this somewhat a variant of your previous question about whether ecclesiastic law should trump common law? erm

In any case the answer is no, imo. But I'm a Hell-bound amoral atheist/agnostic.

I hoped the Confession one would only really stay on the topic of rights of confession...

However, DK raised some points so I thought that maybe we should look at the relationship between Catholics and Rome.

I mean, people thought JFK shouldn't be president because he was a Catholic and they suspected he would take orders from the Pope.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 08:15 PM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Transfinitum
Angelus Domine Nuntiavit

Re: Church before state.

Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav
The question is:

Should Roman Catholic's follow the Pope before the Head of State of their country?

In my opinion, your not a true Catholic if you don't accept that the Pontiff is the successor to Saint Peter and therefore Jesus' appointed representative on Earth.

Thusly, I would put the decrees of the Holy Father before that of the House of Commons or the Queen. Is this unreasonable?

In all theological and religious matters (including political actions from the Church; e.g a call to arms) I would follow the pope and magesterium without question. But on national matters and nation-specific topics, it has been Church practice to allow nations to make their own decisions in that regard. So unless there is a specific decree from the Vatican on a nation-specific issue, a Catholic should follow the head of state (unless there is sin, of course).

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 08:16 PM
Transfinitum is currently offline Click here to Send Transfinitum a Private Message Find more posts by Transfinitum Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

Originally posted by Transfinitum
In all theological and religious matters (including political actions from the Church; e.g a call to arms) I would follow the pope and magesterium without question. But on national matters and nation-specific topics, it has been Church practice to allow nations to make their own decisions in that regard. So unless there is a specific decree from the Vatican on a nation-specific issue, a Catholic should follow the head of state (unless there is sin, of course).

The question asked if the should put the Vatican's decrees before the States...in all matters.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 08:18 PM
Bardock42

The question is:

Assuming they do believe that only through following the orders of their chosen master (the pope) they can receive eternal salvation, I'd advise them to indeed follow his rules over state law. Though, I'd also tell them that they should consider the possibility that their belief is crap and that breaking the law does tend to have unenjoyable consequences.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 08:19 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Transfinitum
Angelus Domine Nuntiavit

The question asked if the should put the Vatican's decrees before the States...in all matters.

Well in such case, yes. One's eternal salvation is more important than his temporary comfort in a nation. Look at the early Church in Rome; laymen as well as clergy were persecuted because they followed the Pope's orders over those of Nero. As a result, the pagans became interested in why so many Christians did not fear death, and Rome converted in the next several hundred years.

Last edited by Transfinitum on Jun 7th, 2008 at 08:25 PM

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 08:19 PM
Transfinitum is currently offline Click here to Send Transfinitum a Private Message Find more posts by Transfinitum Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

Originally posted by Bardock42
Assuming they do believe that only through following the orders of their chosen master (the pope) they can receive eternal salvation, I'd advise them to indeed follow his rules over state law. Though, I'd also tell them that they should consider the possibility that their belief is crap and that breaking the law does tend to have unenjoyable consequences.

However, thats about weighing up the possibilities.

Question: Follow the Pope before the State?

Outcome 1: The Pope is not Christ's representative and thus your punishment in jail for breaking the law is not going to be compensated. You may loose your liberty or life and all for nothing.

Outcome 2: The Pope is Christ's representative and thus your punishment in jail for breaking the law will be compensated. You may loose your liberty or life but you will receive tenfold in heaven.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 08:25 PM
Bardock42

However, thats about weighing up the possibilities.

Question: Follow the Pope before the State?

Outcome 1: The Pope is not Christ's representative and thus your punishment in jail for breaking the law is not going to be compensated. You may loose your liberty or life and all for nothing.

Outcome 2: The Pope is Christ's representative and thus your punishment in jail for breaking the law will be compensated. You may loose your liberty or life but you will receive tenfold in heaven.
Yep. Weighing the risks. Though including the likelyhood. To me, the likelyhood that the pope is right is about 0. 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
00000000000001%. I take those odds. You probably don't think so. But as I said. if I'd believe it 5% or even 90% I'd take his orders over the states.

Well, since I happen to be anarchist, I don't believe in merit of state laws anyways. It's all just a big calculation though, isn't it?

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 08:29 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

I thought it was supposed to be outcome 3: The Pope may be Christ's representative but - while you still adamantly believe in Christ, and thus should be saved by his crucifixion - you're aware of human fallacy in interpretation, have free will and the ability of independent decision making, and thus would not break laws that are presumably put in place for the general well-being of the commonwealth.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 08:30 PM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Transfinitum
Angelus Domine Nuntiavit

I thought it was supposed to be outcome 3: The Pope may be Christ's representative but - while you still adamantly believe in Christ, and thus should be saved by his crucifixion - you're aware of human fallacy in interpretation, have free will and the ability of independent decision making, and thus would not break laws that are presumably put in place for the general well-being of the commonwealth.

If you adamantly believe in Christ, you accept the Holy Scriptures. And the Scriptures tell you that Christ elected an infallible representative on earth to "build his church on". Matthew 16:18:
quote:
18 And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it.

Peter's name literally translates to "Rock" and so we can see that God granted authority to Peter to lead his church, and because God can have no error, His church cannot as well. Then when Peter went out ordaining bishops and priests, the line of authority held, all the way to the present.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 08:37 PM
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

I don't particularly care about the etymology of Peter literally meaning rock anymore than I care about the etymology of Apple literally meaning apple in determining the infallibility of a mythological figure's earthbound surrogate or whether Gwyneth Paltrow's spawn will be the anti-christ, respectively.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 08:43 PM
Transfinitum
Angelus Domine Nuntiavit

I don't particularly care about the etymology of Peter literally meaning rock anymore than I care about the etymology of Apple literally meaning apple in determining the infallibility of a mythological figure's earthbound surrogate or whether Gwyneth Paltrow's spawn will be the anti-christ, respectively.

Well the important point to note here is that God Himself created the Catholic Church, and by definition God can have no error. Because of this, the pope (when using the doctrine of infallibility) has direct confirmation from God incarnate that what he is saying must be true.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 08:49 PM
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

The Pope is just a man as fallible as any other man elected by a group of men as fallible as any other men, head of a church that has shown its fallibility numerous times.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 09:04 PM
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

The average citizen can do what ever trips his trigger. Once elected to state or federal office, to do otherwise would likely be against their oath of office.

As for Kennedy, it was said of him, and it was wrong.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 09:05 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Transfinitum
Well the important point to note here is that God Himself created the Catholic Church, and by definition God can have no error. Because of this, the pope (when using the doctrine of infallibility) has direct confirmation from God incarnate that what he is saying must be true.

He might have created it to test the intelligence and faith of people in their individual morals, as a sort of "if you believe in this, you should be put in hell". Really, there's NOTHING to suggest that the catholic church and the pope in particular have any authority over anyone.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 09:07 PM
leonheartmm

its unreasonable due to a number of things.

1. the pope is just a falliable man, nuthing more, who is made more falliable with his part to play in protecting dogma

2. catholocism isnt representative of truth

3. neither the pope, nor catholocism advocates laws which are fair to all faiths and beleifs

Old Post Jun 8th, 2008 05:03 AM
leonheartmm is currently offline Find more posts by leonheartmm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by leonheartmm
1. the pope is just a falliable man, nuthing more, who is made more falliable with his part to play in protecting dogma

Yup.

It could be stick out tongue

3. neither the pope, nor catholocism advocates laws which are fair to all faiths and beleifs

B- but no one does that.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2008 05:18 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonheartmm

^2- naaaaah smile

3- yes, secularistic IDEOLOGIES do. {differentiate ideologies from implementation and perhaps see that the criteria that most relegiouns use for FAIR is always majorly biased in their favour and steps on the rights of others}

Old Post Jun 8th, 2008 05:30 AM
leonheartmm is currently offline Find more posts by leonheartmm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

its unreasonable due to a number of things.

The problem with your post is that you present certain factoids as though they have not been heard, considered and internalized by the very people you're arguing against. Common sense does not enter the equation when common sense was abandoned in favor of their own illogial conclusions or sycophantic certainties, to begin with...

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Jun 8th, 2008 05:31 AM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote