KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Forgiveness

Forgiveness
Started by: Grand_Moff_Gav

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Grand-Moff-Gav

Forgiveness

Forgiveness is a central theme in many religions.

However, what do we think is the role Forgiveness can actually play in the Modern World?

Should we take a more forgiving role to our peers and family? Not let small squabbles cause great rifts?

Should we then be more forgiving of criminals...especially when the Death Penalty is involved...

However, this thread also seeks to allow the reader to act on the title and exercise some forgiveness...So, when you post your argument also post...a little note of forgiveness. (You only need to do it once)

JIA...I forgive you. smile

Old Post Jun 26th, 2008 05:07 AM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Forgiveness

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav

However, what do we think is the role Forgiveness can actually play in the Modern World?

Should we take a more forgiving role to our peers and family? Not let small squabbles cause great rifts?

Should we then be more forgiving of criminals...especially when the Death Penalty is involved...

However, this thread also seeks to allow the reader to act on the title and exercise some forgiveness...So, when you post your argument also post...a little note of forgiveness. (You only need to do it once)

JIA...I forgive you too.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2008 05:30 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

*goes out and saves worms from the rain*

I save things that need saving.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2008 12:06 PM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

Capitialism took that ideal from ever coming to fruition.

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post Jun 26th, 2008 12:52 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Forgiveness

. . . is for pansies.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2008 01:13 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
. . . is for pansies.

We forgive you. wink

Old Post Jun 26th, 2008 02:01 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Re: Re: Forgiveness

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
We forgive you. wink

Rawr!

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2008 04:12 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Re: Re: Forgiveness

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Rawr!

Don't let it go to your head. wink

Old Post Jun 26th, 2008 04:17 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Deja~vu
*goes out and saves worms from the rain*

I save things that need saving.

It's highly doubtful that such cognitively simple forms of life have anywhere near the levels of consciousness needed to process pain, or even anything resembling negativity as we understand it. It gets dicey once you jump up to, say, rodents and other small animals, but anything at or near the level of a worm in conscious of nothing. I feel no remorse in killing, or not saving, such creatures. I don't go out of my way to kill them, of course, but I also don't fall into the needlessly pacifistic "protect all life" idiom.

Forgiveness is necessary to function as a species. So long as our forgiveness does not extend to the point where our docile tendencies cause harm to ourselves or others, it should always be the goal, regardless of whether you view it from an altruistic perspective or a survival perspective.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2008 04:29 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

quote:
Forgiveness is necessary to function as a species. So long as our Forgiveness does not extend to the point where our docile tendencies cause harm to ourselves or others, it should always be the goal, regardless of whether you view it from an altruistic perspective or a survival perspective.
It's true. It's for our well being both physically and emotionally. To let it go and move on frees up your out look on life, moves you on, and contributes to healthy bodily functions.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2008 12:38 AM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Forgiveness is more about releasing grudges and anger that are overshadowing your personal health and wellbeing, than letting someone off the hook for his or her misdeeds.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2008 10:33 AM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav

Its not a central theme in heathenism...in fact there is quite alot of revenge in Norse lore. However I think that has alot to do with the time period. The Vikings didn't just fight all the time and did have laws, however I don't think even to this day heathens make big deal about forgiveness but im sure they can use common sense and know that sometimes its good to let things lie.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2008 10:44 AM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

I think that has something to do with the fact that sometimes forgiveness is an ideal. We know we should forgive, but sometimes we can't bring ourselves to. Vengeance can look very appealing sometimes.

Oprah, I forgive you.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2008 03:01 PM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I have no one to forgive, because nobody has ever done anything wrong.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2008 04:27 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mandos
Why would I want more?

Forgiveness is one of the hardest things to reach in life, but also the most gratifying. If you are able to forgive, nothing can reach you. Jesus was above all man for is capacity to forgive. He died forgiving us.

That is what this world is lacking. There is alot of extremes now. For example, the big entreprises, where one false move could man destitution. When you've lost everything, is it so easy to forgive the one that took that away from you?

That is the main challenge, and I always try to forgive as much as I can. It makes nme feel better, my personal battle against myself and the rest of the world, that has gone so terribly bad in so many moral ways...

Old Post Jul 30th, 2008 06:02 PM
Mandos is currently offline Click here to Send Mandos a Private Message Find more posts by Mandos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Mandos
Forgiveness is one of the hardest things to reach in life,

I don’t see how this could be true.

but also the most gratifying. If you are able to forgive, nothing can reach you.

If you kill someone, forgiveness will not stop you from going to jail.

Jesus was above all man for is capacity to forgive. He died forgiving us.

There is nothing for Jesus to forgive us for in the first place.

That is what this world is lacking. There is alot of extremes now. For example, the big entreprises, where one false move could man destitution. When you've lost everything, is it so easy to forgive the one that took that away from you?

I disagree! Attachments to things and materialism leads to far more suffering then lack of forgiveness.

That is the main challenge, and I always try to forgive as much as I can. It makes nme feel better, my personal battle against myself and the rest of the world, that has gone so terribly bad in so many moral ways...

So, that is your main challenge?

Old Post Jul 30th, 2008 06:47 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Nah, materialism pwns.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2008 06:53 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by DigiMark007
Nah, materialism pwns.

Materialism is within its self is not a bad thing. It is the projection of suffering from were the responsibility truly lies to other people of things that is bad, in that it leads to delusions. If you drink all night and wake in the morning with a hang over, you are the only person to blame for your own suffering.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2008 06:58 PM
Mandos
Why would I want more?

''I don’t see how this could be true.''

We do not live in a world of forgiveness, which makes persons who can special to me.

''If you kill someone, forgiveness will not stop you from going to jail''

Has nothing to do with what you quoted of me. Read it again.

''There is nothing for Jesus to forgive us for in the first place.''

Right, and what about all the sins of men? Have you read the Bible?

''I disagree! Attachments to things and materialism leads to far more suffering then lack of forgiveness. ''

I agree with you on this one, but it does not stop the lack of forgiveness to hurt still.

''So, that is your main challenge?''

Personnally, I received alot of shit in my life, and being able to sincerly forgive everything in my heart is tough, yes.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2008 07:00 PM
Mandos is currently offline Click here to Send Mandos a Private Message Find more posts by Mandos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

We do not live in a world of forgiveness, which makes persons who can special to me.

Forgiveness is not something that can make a world; it is something that we do.

Has nothing to do with what you quoted of me. Read it again.

I was trying to show you how cause and effect are not changed by forgiveness.

Right, and what about all the sins of men? Have you read the Bible?

I have read the bible from the beginning to the end; have you? What about all the good things that we humans have done?

I agree with you on this one, but it does not stop the lack of forgiveness to hurt still.

Attachments to forgiveness lead to suffering.

Personnally, I received alot of shit in my life, and being able to sincerly forgive everything in my heart is tough, yes.

If you take responsibility for all things in your life, you will have no need for forgiveness.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2008 07:12 PM