KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Non-Violent religions in teachings and practices.

Non-Violent religions in teachings and practices.
Started by: dadudemon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
dadudemon

Non-Violent religions in teachings and practices.

I would like to know more about religions out there.

Could you guys list non-violent religions in beliefs AND practices?

In other words, you can't list Pentecostal or Mormons, despite the fact that their religions espouse lots of non-violence: they still support violent actions like the war on terror and justify it with their beliefs.

I'm talking about truly non-violent religions like Jainism or Zen Buddhism.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2011 11:52 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Some varieties of Hinduism. As well as Gandhi's Satyagraha (which can be both religious and secular).

Old Post Mar 30th, 2011 11:56 PM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Thanks. A little background: A theist hater said all religions are violent. I disagreed and she asked me to list just 3. I think I was successful in listing just three but it distrubed me how little I knew about the world's religions and I wanted to discuss and learn more about the world's religions. I was largely unsuccessful with google searches.

On another note, I did learn the Jehovah's Witnessess were really non-violent. They have a thing about not joining the military because of that. I thought that was really neat.

Old Post Mar 31st, 2011 04:05 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Oh, Rastafarianism as well.

Funny, all these religions are pretty small.

Old Post Mar 31st, 2011 04:07 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Super Marie 64
Queen of Feuds

Jesus preached non-violence. I wonder what happened to Christianity along the way. Did he really matter that little to them?

Old Post Mar 31st, 2011 08:04 AM
Super Marie 64 is currently offline Click here to Send Super Marie 64 a Private Message Find more posts by Super Marie 64 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

quote: (post)
Originally posted by King Kandy
Oh, Rastafarianism as well.

Funny, all these religions are pretty small.

Buddhism has ~half a billion, and yet its probably the least violent religion ever.

Old Post Mar 31st, 2011 08:07 AM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Mar 31st, 2011 10:43 AM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Taoism.

Well its not pacifist.

Old Post Mar 31st, 2011 10:57 AM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Ok, but how many Taoist suicide bombers or crusades have their been? stick out tongue

Old Post Mar 31st, 2011 11:02 AM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Originally posted by Super Marie 64
Jesus preached non-violence. I wonder what happened to Christianity along the way. Did he really matter that little to them?

They mostly read this:

"I come not to bring peace, but to bring a sword" (Gospel of Matthew 10:34)

Old Post Mar 31st, 2011 11:03 AM
Super Marie 64
Queen of Feuds

That's not the only type of violence. You're pretty obsessive about including those in religion.

Old Post Mar 31st, 2011 11:03 AM
Super Marie 64 is currently offline Click here to Send Super Marie 64 a Private Message Find more posts by Super Marie 64 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Yes, It might seem that way, but Religious violence is there to be criticised, cause the religious seem to obsessively warring based on their scripture.

Old Post Mar 31st, 2011 11:05 AM
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

Buddhism as a faith is non-violent but fundamentalist monks have recently been raiding churches and smashing statues.

So it depends on the individuals.

Old Post Mar 31st, 2011 11:16 AM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Well if thats the case, maybe all we can do is try to find the LEAST violent religion, as they all are steeped in the stuff.

People have attacked and destroyed Buddist statues too.

Religion: The great divider

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on Mar 31st, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Old Post Mar 31st, 2011 11:43 AM
Super Marie 64
Queen of Feuds

Man: The great divider

Old Post Mar 31st, 2011 11:59 AM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Thats right: The creation and perpetuation of religion was his finest divised tool for such ends...

Old Post Mar 31st, 2011 12:02 PM
Super Marie 64
Queen of Feuds

You are giving religion far too much credit.

Old Post Mar 31st, 2011 12:10 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

If I am the human race will not be found to have been fighting over it , or by its scripture given means for thousands of years, I guess....

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on Mar 31st, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Old Post Mar 31st, 2011 12:12 PM
Super Marie 64
Queen of Feuds

What?

Old Post Mar 31st, 2011 12:20 PM
Dr Will Hatch

Jedi Religion is mostly non-violent. They would be completely non violent if it weren't for those f.ucking Sith.

Old Post Mar 31st, 2011 12:22 PM
Dr Will Hatch is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Will Hatch a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Will Hatch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote