KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Moff Kalast vs. Dellis Tantor

Moff Kalast vs. Dellis Tantor
Started by: FE Expert

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
FE Expert
Fire Emblem expert

Moff Kalast vs. Dellis Tantor

Instead of starting a debate where only one side's sole source is gameplay mechanics of a single game, this time around, BOTH characters in play have only their source's respective gameplay mechanics as far as sources are concerned.

However, different game-sources may lead to different ends, since one cannot test his/her theory in the game as you would when both characters have only the gameplay mechanics of the same game.

Setting: The twin cities of Peche and Thennes (the capital of Krant).

Moff Kalast's only source is Empire at War while Dellis' sole source is Force Commander.

Name a number between 1 and 10
Pandemonium

Old Post Jun 21st, 2009 12:18 AM
Click here to Send FE Expert a Private Message Find more posts by FE Expert Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Elite Hunter

We don't debate here using gameplay mechanics at all...

Old Post Jun 21st, 2009 12:31 AM
Click here to Send Elite Hunter a Private Message Find more posts by Elite Hunter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kotorfan
Fruity Darth

exactly. They have to be in some sort of canon media, (wookiepedia, novelization, game CUT SCENES of the canon path, movies)

Old Post Jun 21st, 2009 01:17 AM
Click here to Send kotorfan a Private Message Find more posts by kotorfan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eminence
Boss

Old Post Jun 21st, 2009 01:34 AM
Click here to Send Eminence a Private Message Find more posts by Eminence Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kotorfan
Fruity Darth

i meant that they had to have a canon appearance and referred to as canon material.

Ex: Lets say in TFU, Vader was killed on the first level by a wookie. This is obviously possible depending on how skilled one is, but Vader is never referenced by wookiepedia to be killed by a wookie. Therefore it isn't canon.

w/e it doesn't need to be explained. I'm sure everyone knows what I mean.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2009 02:15 AM
Click here to Send kotorfan a Private Message Find more posts by kotorfan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FE Expert
Fire Emblem expert

Debating using only gameplay mechanics is easier and harder at the same time. It's easier to decide a winner if done properly, but it's harder since you have to cross-compare the game mechanics if you take characters of two distinct games.

And also it's easy to fall into the traps that cross-comparison entails. The only debate where the sources of both sides were only gameplay mechanics that I did argue through the end was resolved through a trap I have fallen into.

Pandemonium

Old Post Jun 21st, 2009 02:24 AM
Click here to Send FE Expert a Private Message Find more posts by FE Expert Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eminence
Boss

quote: (post)
Originally posted by kotorfan
i meant that they had to have a canon appearance and referred to as canon material.

Ex: Lets say in TFU, Vader was killed on the first level by a wookie. This is obviously possible depending on how skilled one is, but Vader is never referenced by wookiepedia to be killed by a wookie. Therefore it isn't canon.

w/e it doesn't need to be explained. I'm sure everyone knows what I mean.
The "..." wasn't directed at you, it was directed at this thread. I don't understand how someone could take "game mechanics aren't reliable or canon" to mean "you can use two characters who only have the backing of game mechanics." It boggles the mind.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2009 02:34 AM
Click here to Send Eminence a Private Message Find more posts by Eminence Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vorpal Ruin
Jedi Master

Mace solos.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2009 02:44 AM
Click here to Send Vorpal Ruin a Private Message Find more posts by Vorpal Ruin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Originally posted by Eminence

Old Post Jun 21st, 2009 03:26 AM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Old Post Jun 21st, 2009 04:32 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kotorfan
Fruity Darth

apparently FE didn't read the readme...

well I'm positive something like this was in the readme but not sure

found it:

quote:
No fights using Unknowns. Unknowns are characters that we have had too little or no evidence of their powers, abilities, or skills. This applies to characters that have not had screen-time, or characters who only show their powers in gameplay. Unknowns include Darth Plagueis and Marka Ragnos, most notably.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2009 04:37 AM
Slash_KMC
Retired Helper

Old Post Jun 21st, 2009 09:34 AM
Click here to Send Slash_KMC a Private Message Find more posts by Slash_KMC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eminence
Boss

Old Post Jun 21st, 2009 06:24 PM
Vorpal Ruin
Jedi Master

Old Post Jun 21st, 2009 06:34 PM
Click here to Send Vorpal Ruin a Private Message Find more posts by Vorpal Ruin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mattatom
UNSC's finest.

Originally posted by Vorpal Ruin

Might as well call him "Matt Atom Bomb"
Like his name suggests, he's quite atomic
And this fool - he likes DC Comics
Two energy swords make up his symbol
And trust me, dawg, this homie's nimble

Old Post Jun 21st, 2009 06:47 PM
Click here to Send mattatom a Private Message Find more posts by mattatom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Old Post Jun 21st, 2009 06:49 PM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kotorfan
Fruity Darth

lol.. I guess:

Originally posted by Red Nemesis

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2009 03:44 AM
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2009 04:39 AM
Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FE Expert
Fire Emblem expert

One common method to scale the strength of a character whose skill is demonstrated only in game mechanics requires that, in gameplay, it has to fight another character who gets canon-path cutscenes in the same game.

From the strength the character's opponent has in the cutscene you could scale as to how strong it is using the game mechanics. When debating with game mechanics only (from different games, of course) don't take the stats directly.

Maybe Dellis Tantor or Moff Kalast got canonical-path cutscenes in their respective games where they fought; I haven't played Empire at War or Force Commander until the end.

Pandemonium

Old Post Jul 15th, 2009 09:15 PM