KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » "In the zone" Anakin vs. Darth Vader (OT)

"In the zone" Anakin vs. Darth Vader (OT)
Started by: Mr. Anderson014

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mr. Anderson014

"In the zone" Anakin vs. Darth Vader (OT)

If a mentally disciplined Anakin Skywalker fully embracing the darkside were to meet his future self in battle, who takes it?

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2010 01:44 AM
Click here to Send Mr. Anderson014 a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Anderson014 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pwned
That guy

In teh zone Anakin wins.

He obliterated Dooku, something I dont think Vader as of the OT could have done, because he was ruled by his emotions, etc.

In teh zone, Anakin could draw on the dark side and not be entirely corrupted, he was able to go to the Jedi again and not be shrouded in darkness.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2010 02:01 AM
Click here to Send Pwned a Private Message Find more posts by Pwned Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Anderson014

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Pwned
In teh zone Anakin wins.

He obliterated Dooku, something I dont think Vader as of the OT could have done, because he was ruled by his emotions, etc.

In teh zone, Anakin could draw on the dark side and not be entirely corrupted, he was able to go to the Jedi again and not be shrouded in darkness.

See, thats where i see things differently. I DO think vader couldve beaten dooku as of OT. He's only gotten better since ROTS. Maybe not with sabers, but with sheer experience and VASTLY more powerful in the force. So i think he might b able to edge it out against dooku.

And i'd also have to disagree with u with OT vader being ruled by his emotions. He's not a punk 22 year old kid anymore. He's had 20 + years to grow into a seasoned lord of the sith who doesn't let his emotions get the best of him in the same ways that Anakin did.

In your opinion, who do u think in teh zone anakin is comparable to in terms of power?

As of right now, I dont have a formed opinion on this bout.

Last edited by Mr. Anderson014 on Jul 23rd, 2010 at 03:47 AM

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2010 03:42 AM
Click here to Send Mr. Anderson014 a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Anderson014 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pwned
That guy

Then for a single mistake why would he execute a subordinate?

Also, he is more than likely still pissed about Padme dying.....

Idk who he is comaprable to in teh zone i just know this: He tooled a 70+ year old Jedi Master turned Sith Lord, who was one of the best duelists of his time, third only to Mace and Yoda.

In the force, yes, OT Vader is FAR more powerful. In sabers, a bit but only because he customized his style to be used in his suit, giving him unpredictability.

Hes in his 40s, sure, but Palpatine is the one in control, because he controls all his emotions, he could do whatever the f*ck the wanted.
Vader was also kind of insane, imho. He would try 1 tactic til it worked, no matter the cost.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2010 04:27 AM
Click here to Send Pwned a Private Message Find more posts by Pwned Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Anderson014

Originally posted by Pwned
Then for a single mistake why would he execute a subordinate?

Also, he is more than likely still pissed about Padme dying.....

Idk who he is comaprable to in teh zone i just know this: He tooled a 70+ year old Jedi Master turned Sith Lord, who was one of the best duelists of his time, third only to Mace and Yoda.

In the force, yes, OT Vader is FAR more powerful. In sabers, a bit but only because he customized his style to be used in his suit, giving him unpredictability.

Hes in his 40s, sure, but Palpatine is the one in control, because he controls all his emotions, he could do whatever the f*ck the wanted.
Vader was also kind of insane, imho. He would try 1 tactic til it worked, no matter the cost.

So how can "zone" anakin win if you just said OT vader is FAR more powerful in the force and slightly better with sabers? Seems contradictory. Who are you siding with?

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2010 05:14 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

In a Force contest: Vader. Anakin may be of utter clarity-of-mind, but that doesn't mean his knowledge of, or power in the Force increased. At least not enough to combat Vader.

Sabers, though: Anakin, for sure.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2010 09:48 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DrunknClockwork

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
In a Force contest: Vader. Anakin may be of utter clarity-of-mind, but that doesn't mean his knowledge of, or power in the Force increased. At least not enough to combat Vader.

Sabers, though: Anakin, for sure.

I was watching the ESB commentary the other day and Lucas said the following about Vader:

"...now he's half machine and half man, so he has lost a lot of the power of the force and he has lost a lot of visibility to be more powerful than the emperor..."

So yeah, while I agree his knowledge and control increased he apparently doesn't possess the sheer power of his former self anymore.

Therefore I just don't see Vader beating "in teh zone" Anakin in anything.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2010 11:32 AM
Click here to Send DrunknClockwork a Private Message Find more posts by DrunknClockwork Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Anderson014

While GL did say that, in many novels he has shown far greater feats in the force then Anakin ever did. This leads me to believe Vader merely lost his potential in the force, and not loose what he's already had. Again, i see contradiction between EU and GL's word... confused

I do believe that Vader could beat Anakin the way he usually is. As powerful as skywalker maybe, he lacks the experience and mental discipline that the older jedi master's have (kenobi, windu, yoda).

However in his "in teh zone" form, this weakness is no longer a factor in whomever he faces....which still leads me to no conclusive winner.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2010 04:31 PM
Hewhoknowsall
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson014
While GL did say that, in many novels he has shown far greater feats in the force then Anakin ever did. This leads me to believe Vader merely lost his potential in the force, and not loose what he's already had. Again, i see contradiction between EU and GL's word... confused

I do believe that Vader could beat Anakin the way he usually is. As powerful as skywalker maybe, he lacks the experience and mental discipline that the older jedi master's have (kenobi, windu, yoda).

However in his "in teh zone" form, this weakness is no longer a factor in whomever he faces....which still leads me to no conclusive winner.

"in teh zone!!!!!" Anakin pwned Dooku in a matter of seconds, putting this version of Anakin arguably above Yoda in terms of lightsaber combat. Vader got pwned by an enraged ROTJ Luke and almost lost to a cloned Maul.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2010 04:39 PM
Click here to Send Hewhoknowsall a Private Message Find more posts by Hewhoknowsall Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Anderson014

Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
"in teh zone!!!!!" Anakin pwned Dooku in a matter of seconds, putting this version of Anakin arguably above Yoda in terms of lightsaber combat. Vader got pwned by an enraged ROTJ Luke and almost lost to a cloned Maul.

VERY arguably... first time he fought dooku on geonosis, dooku made a distraction as a last ditch effort when IMO yoda was REALLY gonna start fighting. And the 2nd time on Vjun, when dooku was even empowered by the planets darkside engery, he still admits that yoda overpowered him.

After reading DR, its very clear that Yoda wants dooku to turn back SO badly. He obviously loves him, and it would break his heart to strike him down. So i think he was holding back both times when fighting dooku and could've easily beat him the way "in teh zone" anakin did if he wanted to.

And vader lost to luke in ROTJ because he really didn't even want to fight Luke in the first place, hence his "inner conflict". I believe Luke even states that vader could've beat him if he wanted to in a certain novel, but i personally haven't read it. Can anyone help me with the exact quote? And is vader's encounter with maul considered cannon? Not saying ur wrong, i've just heard mixed things about it.

Last edited by Mr. Anderson014 on Jul 23rd, 2010 at 05:10 PM

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2010 05:06 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by DrunknClockwork
I was watching the ESB commentary the other day and Lucas said the following about Vader:

"...now he's half machine and half man, so he has lost a lot of the power of the force and he has lost a lot of visibility to be more powerful than the emperor..."

So yeah, while I agree his knowledge and control increased he apparently doesn't possess the sheer power of his former self anymore.

Therefore I just don't see Vader beating "in teh zone" Anakin in anything.
Vader's potential may have lessened, but his overall knowledge of, and skill with, the force was still far beyond what it was during RotS. Remember, unrealized potential is all but meaningless. Realized potential is where it's at.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Jul 23rd, 2010 at 05:50 PM

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2010 05:46 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Anderson014

So the main consensus is that he's a MUCH more powerful in the force, but in sabers? not so much...

So who do u think takes this match up? I think im starting to lean towards Vader.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2010 06:12 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

So the main consensus is that he's a MUCH more powerful in the force, but in sabers? not so much...
Purtty much, imo.

So who do u think takes this match up? I think im starting to lean towards Vader.
Vader's external force powers may have been > zone Anakin's -- but Dooku's were as well, yet Anakin embarrassed him nonetheless.

So yeah...

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2010 06:54 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Anderson014

Good point....

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2010 07:35 PM
Mr. Anderson014

Good point....

Although, if you believe that Vader's force powers are superior to counts, do you think that it would make a difference then?

EDIT: oops, didnt mean to double post like that....n00b mistake

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2010 07:40 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Vader's TK might be better than Dooku's, but I'm skeptical to think it would make a difference versus zone Anakin.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2010 08:48 PM
DrunknClockwork

Originally posted by Galan007
Vader's potential may have lessened, but his overall knowledge of, and skill with, the force was still far beyond what it was during RotS.

That's like exactly what I wrote. no expression

But again, the quote say he lost a lot of force power (power, not potential) right there when he became half machine. This means that Vader's Force powers are FAR weaker than the ones Anakin had already displayed at some point before (in all likelihood during his ITZ state).
quote:
Remember, unrealized potential is all but meaningless. Realized potential is where it's at. [/B]

Remember, this is ITZ Anakin, the version that makes great use of his potential, so in this case his way superior potential will come in handy. Against all other incarnations of Anakin you would have a point, but not here.

When ROTJ Luke tapped into his potential there was nothing Vader could do to stop him. In the case of ITZ Anakin it would be either about the same or even a stomp on a grand scale.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2010 08:58 PM
Click here to Send DrunknClockwork a Private Message Find more posts by DrunknClockwork Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

That's like exactly what I wrote. no expression

But again, the quote say he lost a lot of force power (power, not potential) right there when he became half machine. This means that Vader's Force powers are FAR weaker than the ones Anakin had already displayed at some point before (in all likelihood during his ITZ state).

Remember, this is ITZ Anakin, the version that makes great use of his potential, so in this case his way superior potential will come in handy. Against all other incarnations of Anakin you would have a point, but not here.
Unless you know of a specific instance where Anakin demonstrated force powers (the external type) superior to those displayed by Vader, then my previous statement still stands.

When ROTJ Luke tapped into his potential there was nothing Vader could do to stop him. In the case of ITZ Anakin it would be either about the same or even a stomp on a grand scale.
a.) Luke was swinging his lightsaber around like Stevie Wonder during batting practice. It was a pathetic display, really.

b.) Vader didn't want to harm his own child.

c.) Lucas more or less stated that Luke became what Anakin was intended to be. ie. they both had the same potential.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2010 09:08 PM
DrunknClockwork

Originally posted by Galan007
Unless you know of a specific instance where Anakin demonstrated force powers (the external type) superior to those displayed by Vader, then my previous statement still stands.

What statement? That he displayed more offensive powers with the force? I've never denied that, but it will mean nothing in view of Anakin's way superior force powers.

quote:
a.) Luke was swinging his lightsaber around like Stevie Wonder during batting practice. It was a pathetic display, really.

b.) Vader didn't want to harm his own child.

c.) Lucas more or less stated that Luke became what Anakin was intended to be. ie. they both had the same potential.

a.) Anakin didn't really show a fine technique either; it was a display of superior Force powers where Dooku (or in Luke case Vader) simply couldn't defend against the ferocious strikes anymore.

b.) It was yet again like the Anakin vs. Dooku battle: At first he held back, but then he fought for his life.

c.) Source please; "Luke became what Anakin was intended to be" seems a little vague to me. It could mean that he became the greatest Jedi ever or so; it's not necessarily a direct relation between Anakin's and Luke's battle prowess.
And even if it IS referring to his potential then Vader still gets stomped like against Luke, so I don't see your point here. no expression

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2010 09:37 PM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

I suppose that's where my perfect vision of the saga and suspension of disbelief comes in. I really don't think that Skywalker wielded his lightsaber like a psychotic baseball player, that Obi-Wan and Vader were slow thugs swinging glowing sticks.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2010 09:57 PM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote