KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Ventress and Oppress versus Kit Fisto and Obi-Wan Kenobi

Ventress and Oppress versus Kit Fisto and Obi-Wan Kenobi
Started by: Stealth Moose

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (21): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Ventress and Oppress versus Kit Fisto and Obi-Wan Kenobi

Each is as of their peak in the Clone Wars. Neutral setting. The arena is the Jedi Temple library.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2011 04:47 AM
Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Turr_Phennir
Restricted

Account Restricted

Opress solos. He overwhelmed Kenobi and Anakin simultaneously and that was prior to his rage!boost that enabled him to floor Dooku (temporarily).

Old Post Sep 10th, 2011 04:48 AM
Click here to Send Turr_Phennir a Private Message Find more posts by Turr_Phennir Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Hm, I didn't recall that. How lopsided was it?

Old Post Sep 10th, 2011 04:49 AM
Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Turr_Phennir
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
SM
Hm, I didn't recall that. How lopsided was it?

Fairly, and was more impressive since Opress's objective was to bring Katuunko's body back to Dooku. The fight begins on 2:31.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2011 04:55 AM
Click here to Send Turr_Phennir a Private Message Find more posts by Turr_Phennir Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

He's kind of a complete newb though.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2011 05:02 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Turr_Phennir
Restricted

Account Restricted

Neph
He's kind of a complete newb though.

Yeah, but even for a newb.... erm

Old Post Sep 10th, 2011 05:02 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

He didn't beat them though. He dropped a platform on them.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2011 05:05 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Turr_Phennir
Restricted

Account Restricted

Neph
He didn't beat them though. He dropped a platform on them.

This seems counterintuitive. Opress barely acknowledged their existence, so concerned was he with fulfilling Dooku's objective. His focus the entire time was on Katuunko and he still manhandled both of them.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2011 05:08 AM
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

I wouldn't call that a solid victory. After all, they were able to dogpile him at one point. Had they attacked with sabers instead of attempted DDTs, I'm sure he'd be dead. Also, when he fought them in the hallways he was driving them back, but he could not penetrate their defenses without rawr!Force bursts.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2011 05:09 AM
-kV-
[:::::{============)

Originally posted by Turr_Phennir
Opress solos. He overwhelmed Kenobi and Anakin simultaneously and that was prior to his rage!boost that enabled him to floor Dooku (temporarily).

This phraseology is apocryphal.

I am not familiar with the context of this clip, but this video you provided demonstrated Kenobi and Anakin as having the intention to capture Opress, it seems, rather than slaying him.

Nothing shows that he would even beat Obi-Wan in combat. Even at 3:11, that 'berserk' Force Push barely affected Kenobi.

BlackZero30x created this a-'Maize'-ing signature! =)

Old Post Sep 10th, 2011 05:10 AM
Click here to Send -kV- a Private Message Find more posts by -kV- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Turr_Phennir
Restricted

Account Restricted

SM
I wouldn't call that a solid victory. After all, they were able to dogpile him at one point. Had they attacked with sabers instead of attempted DDTs, I'm sure he'd be dead.

The duel begins with Opress dueling two vastly more experienced warriors while simultaneously hauling and restraining a captive. During the dogpile, Opress is more concerned with preventing Katuunko from escaping. After he hurls them aside and drops the platform on them, he flees with Katuunko, so concerned is he in fulfilling Dooku's objective.

SM
Also, when he fought them in the hallways he was driving them back, but he could not penetrate their defenses without rawr!Force bursts.

Given what he'd just endured during the fight with Dooku and Ventress, I'm not surprised.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2011 05:20 AM
Turr_Phennir
Restricted

Account Restricted

KV
I am not familiar with the context of this clip, but this video you provided demonstrated Kenobi and Anakin as having the intention to capture Opress, it seems, rather than slaying him.

Likewise, Opress's intentions were equally compromised. Anakin and Obi-Wan differ in one regard: Opress was their objective; to Opress, they were merely an obstacle to be removed (not necessarily terminated). Despite their greater numbers, experience, and the considerable advantage of not simultaneously restraining a prized captive, they were beaten and left for dead.

quote:
KV
Nothing shows that he would even beat Obi-Wan in combat.

no expression

You mean like the fact that he overcame both Kenobi and Anakin together?

quote:
KV
Even at 3:11, that 'berserk' Force Push barely affected Kenobi.

no expression

The fact that he didn't permanently damage them is an indicator of... what, exactly? It's already been established that he was more concerned with getting away than killing them.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2011 05:23 AM
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

The duel begins with Opress dueling two vastly more experienced warriors while simultaneously hauling and restraining a captive. During the dogpile, Opress is more concerned with preventing Katuunko from escaping. After he hurls them aside and drops the platform on them, he flees with Katuunko, so concerned is he in fulfilling Dooku's objective.

Right, this proves his dedication, even if he royally screwed the pooch by killing his captive. But it evades the issue - that Obi-Wan and Anakin, though given a clear opportunity to kill him, deliberately did not. His lucky evasion/gave 'em the slip routine does not speak to his martial prowess so much as it proves he was fortunate against two opponents who didn't want to kill him.

Which is irrelevant for this debate.

quote:
Given what he'd just endured during the fight with Dooku and Ventress, I'm not surprised.

Oppress was basically raging at this point, so it's debatable if he was "worn down" or damaged from the repeated lightning. I personally think his open style and his large frame and saber prevented him from flanking or tearing apart the Jedi in the confined hallway. But the point remains - he did not simply walk all over them. When sabers crossed, he was held at bay.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2011 05:25 AM
Eminence
Boss

quote:
KV
This phraseology is apocryphal.

Nothing shows that he would even beat Obi-Wan in combat. Even at 3:11, that 'berserk' Force Push barely affected Kenobi.

The 3:11 Force-push knocks over a starship.

Thread: Jedi get... [SPOILER - highlight to read]: mauled.

shifty

Old Post Sep 10th, 2011 05:27 AM
Click here to Send Eminence a Private Message Find more posts by Eminence Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Turr_Phennir
Restricted

Account Restricted

SM
Right, this proves his dedication, even if he royally screwed the pooch by killing his captive. But it evades the issue - that Obi-Wan and Anakin, though given a clear opportunity to kill him, deliberately did not. His lucky evasion/gave 'em the slip routine does not speak to his martial prowess so much as it proves he was fortunate against two opponents who didn't want to kill him.

Which is irrelevant for this debate.

If I'm not mistaken (and please correct me if I am), you're attempting to assert that because Obi-Wan and Anakin didn't exploit an opportunity to kill Opress that it undermines my assertion that Opress manhandled them. What I am doing is establishing a parallel; Opress didn't press the advantage when he undeniably had it, because he was too concerned with restraining Katuunko. When Katuunko was dealt with, Opress shrugged both Jedi off and disabled them casually. He could have dealt with them then, but chose to complete his objective as ordered by the Count.

quote:
SM
Oppress was basically raging at this point, so it's debatable if he was "worn down" or damaged from the repeated lightning. I personally think his open style and his large frame and saber prevented him from flanking or tearing apart the Jedi in the confined hallway. But the point remains - he did not simply walk all over them. When sabers crossed, he was held at bay.

When sabers crossed after being repeatedly electrocuted by Count Dooku (remember what it did to Anakin?), Opress was held at bay in a confining corridor only to eventually overcome the Jedi and Dooku's droid contingent with the Force. I'm not seeing your argument here.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2011 05:31 AM
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

If I'm not mistaken (and please correct me if I am), you're attempting to assert that because Obi-Wan and Anakin didn't exploit an opportunity to kill Opress that it undermines my assertion that Opress manhandled them. What I am doing is establishing a parallel; Opress didn't press the advantage when he undeniably had it, because he was too concerned with restraining Katuunko. When Katuunko was dealt with, Opress shrugged both Jedi off and disabled them casually. He could have dealt with them then, but chose to complete his objective as ordered by the Count.

You're missing the point.

The second Oppress tried to throw his hostage aside to engage, he was hit by both Jedi and had they struck lethally, he'd be dead. But they weren't trying to kill him. So he's pinned. He TK's his hostage dead, and then rawr throws them back before dropping a pod on them for good measure.

Nowhere did he render them open to death or defeat by saber mastery, or creative use of Force that isn't as basic as a push that won't aid him in a Jedi Library arena. To further that point, he was battling the Jedi while hovering high off of the ground on floating pods; clearly, any TK attempts would be far more impacting than on a level playing field.

So if you are using this fight as proof of Oppress > Obi/Annie, what instances are valid? I don't see any.

quote:
When sabers crossed after being repeatedly electrocuted by Count Dooku (remember what it did to Anakin?), Opress was held at bay in a confining corridor only to eventually overcome the Jedi and Dooku's droid contingent with the Force. I'm not seeing your argument here.

The Jedi gave ground before the forward-moving Oppress. It's probably obvious that the Zabrak is physically stronger than them, since he's nearly twice their size around, but the point is, he's not wrecking their day, nor is he "soloing". He's driving them back with an aggressive, rage-fueled and they're adequately defending without apparent danger or serious effort.

Had they not backed into an open room filled with droids, then we could have better examined how he stacked up. The limitation of room would have been lifted and he could have gone all out.

Or, they could have flanked him and destroyed him. The point is we don't know, and none of the above showings are conclusive.

Lastly, you could argue that Oppress was "weakened" from Dooku's lightning, but this still ignores the fact that you can't argue a "normal" Oppress versus Anakin/Obi on neutral ground.

And this isn't even taking into account Kit Fisto, who was according to The Cestus Deception, a better swordsman than Obi-Wan and more aggressive/random.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2011 05:38 AM
-kV-
[:::::{============)

Likewise, Opress's intentions were equally compromised. Anakin and Obi-Wan differ in one regard: Opress was their objective; to Opress, they were merely an obstacle to be removed (not necessarily terminated). Despite their greater numbers, experience, and the considerable advantage of not simultaneously restraining a prized captive, they were beaten and left for dead.

1. The duo were not engaging Opress anywhere near the level to which they fought Dooku in ROTS. It's evident that when they decided to wrestle the Zabrak (as opposed to finishing him off) that they had no intention of killing him and didn't have much idea on the person they were holding down.

2. Because they weren't intending on killing him, you can't assume that Opress will suddenly kill them in a legitimate fight since he too didn't want to fight them.

quote:

You mean like the fact that he overcame both Kenobi and Anakin together?

Major asterisk there.

quote:

The fact that he didn't permanently damage them is an indicator of... what, exactly? It's already been established that he was more concerned with getting away than killing them.

Very well, no point pursuing this one since you're more or less saying that his Force powers aren't at full strength because he was fleeing.

I was pointing out how his attempts to incapacitate/overpower them with offensive TK barely barely affected the duo.

BlackZero30x created this a-'Maize'-ing signature! =)

Last edited by -kV- on Sep 10th, 2011 at 05:41 AM

Old Post Sep 10th, 2011 05:39 AM
Click here to Send -kV- a Private Message Find more posts by -kV- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Turr_Phennir
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
SM
The second Oppress tried to throw his hostage aside to engage, he was hit by both Jedi and had they struck lethally, he'd be dead. But they weren't trying to kill him.

At the 2:35 mark, Katuunko regains consciousness and begins to attack Opress; at the 2:37 mark, he manages to slip out of Opress's grasp, and it as it this point that the Jedi attempt their dogpile.The only single instance in which Kenobi and Anakin had the upper hand was the direct result of a distraction generated by a third party, which, unlike Opress's telekinetic powers, will not occur in the duel proposed by this thread.

Furthermore, I accept that the Jedi weren't seeking to kill Opress, but I will reiterate that Opress wasn't exactly seeking to kill them as well in as much as he only applied as much force as was necessary to get them out of his way. When Katuunko was killed and he brought his full focus to bear, Obi-Wan and Anakin were summarily and casually tossed aside and overpowered via Opress's own powers and ingenuity, something that the two Jedi cannot claim for themselves.

quote:
SM
Nowhere did he render them open to death or defeat by saber mastery, or creative use of Force that isn't as basic as a push that won't aid him in a Jedi Library arena. To further that point, he was battling the Jedi while hovering high off of the ground on floating pods; clearly, any TK attempts would be far more impacting than on a level playing field.

While that may be, Opress demonstrates impressive telekinetic powers during his training with Count Dooku and his escape from Toydaria after besting Anakin and Obi-Wan. Even on level ground, telekinesis can be devastating and under certain circumstances decisive, unless there is no object with which to bludgeon the Jedi (including walls).

quote:
SM
So if you are using this fight as proof of Oppress > Obi/Annie, what instances are valid? I don't see any.

I don't see the valid reasoning behind discrediting Opress's manipulation of the environment. Anakin attempted to use the Force to hurl a platform at Opress with the intent to subdue him, which failed. Many duels in the films and EU depict combatants make use of the environment and if Opress's clever use of the hover platform somehow doesn't indicate superiority despite the odds and disadvantages he endured, then that requires a reexamination of many duels and fights throughout canon.

quote:
SM
The Jedi gave ground before the forward-moving Oppress. It's probably obvious that the Zabrak is physically stronger than them, since he's nearly twice their size around, but the point is, he's not wrecking their day, nor is he "soloing". He's driving them back with an aggressive, rage-fueled and they're adequately defending without apparent danger or serious effort.

Without apparent danger or serious effort? By what standard? They're wielding weapons that casually removes limbs, what isn't dangerous about that?

quote:
SM
Had they not backed into an open room filled with droids, then we could have better examined how he stacked up. The limitation of room would have been lifted and he could have gone all out.

Or, they could have flanked him and destroyed him. The point is we don't know, and none of the above showings are conclusive.

And yet again I must reiterate that Opress managed to overwhelm the Jedi and the droids via the Force on a level playing field.

quote:
SM
Lastly, you could argue that Oppress was "weakened" from Dooku's lightning, but this still ignores the fact that you can't argue a "normal" Oppress versus Anakin/Obi on neutral ground.

Are you arguing that Opress was still operating under the effects of battle rage during the second duel with Obi-Wan and Anakin? Regardless, a 'normal' Opress was able to dominate both opponents despite enormous disadvantages on Toydaria.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2011 05:58 AM
Turr_Phennir
Restricted

Account Restricted

KV
1. The duo were not engaging Opress anywhere near the level to which they fought Dooku in ROTS.

I never claimed as much.

quote:
KV
It's evident that when they decided to wrestle the Zabrak (as opposed to finishing him off) that they had no intention of killing him and didn't have much idea on the person they were holding down.

quote:
Me
At the 2:35 mark, Katuunko regains consciousness and begins to attack Opress; at the 2:37 mark, he manages to slip out of Opress's grasp, and it as it this point that the Jedi attempt their dogpile.The only single instance in which Kenobi and Anakin had the upper hand was the direct result of a distraction generated by a third party, which, unlike Opress's telekinetic powers, will not occur in the duel proposed by this thread.

As I pointed out here to Janus, the duo's single moment of advantage was the direct result of an occurrence manufactured by an outside party (Katuunko, in his bid for freedom). There's no indication that they would have even been in a dominant position had it not been for his efforts; in fact, all evidence (Opress's subsequent and casual escape from the dogpile) indicates otherwise.

quote:
KV
2. Because they weren't intending on killing him, you can't assume that Opress will suddenly kill them in a legitimate fight since he too didn't want to fight them.

Perhaps not suddenly, but what we have here is three combatants who ultimately did not want to slay the other. The problem is that despite this seemingly shared state of mind, Kenobi and Anakin were completely focused on subduing Opress; Opress had other things on the mind. He treated them fairly negligibly and still emerged victorious. Twice.

quote:
KV
Major asterisk there.

Despite yours and Janus's assurances to the contrary, I'm not seeing much evidence for their formidable performance against Opress beyond a momentary position of advantage that was born from a complete fluke (Katuunko): A fluke that won't be present here.

quote:
KV
Very well, no point pursuing this one since you're more or less saying that his Force powers aren't at full strength because he was fleeing.

I'm not sure where I argued that at all.

quote:
KV
I was pointing out how his attempts to incapacitate/overpower them with offensive TK barely barely affected the duo.

And what exactly did they do to him that had any effect at all? Because as I see it "barely" is better than nothing.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2011 06:04 AM
Eminence
Boss

quote:
Moose
And this isn't even taking into account Kit Fisto, who was according to The Cestus Deception, a better swordsman than Obi-Wan and more aggressive/random.

Yet was nonetheless outmatched by Ventress, as was Obi-Wan.

And aggression is the trademark of Anakin, with whom Obi-Wan has the added advantage of practiced coordination, but even together they never seemed to gain much advantage over Opress. I doubt Kit Fisto would do better.

I'm not committed to the idea that Opress could kill these two himself, but as per the thread he doesn't need to. Ventress is at least the equal of either Jedi at this point, and Opress is a dominant enough force to firmly tip the odds.

Last edited by Eminence on Sep 10th, 2011 at 06:55 AM

Old Post Sep 10th, 2011 06:42 AM
Click here to Send Eminence a Private Message Find more posts by Eminence Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote