KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Bastilla, Zannah vs. Mara Jade, Han Solo

Bastilla, Zannah vs. Mara Jade, Han Solo
Started by: Zampanó

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Bastilla, Zannah vs. Mara Jade, Han Solo

The confrontation takes place on G0T0's Yacht, exactly as found in KotOR II, replete with mines and bounty hunters.
(please log in to view the image)

Mara Jade and Han begin where the Exile boarded the ship.
Bastilla and Zannah are on the bridge and did not know anything about the two assassins until boarded.

PIS is in effect; characters will operate within the limits of Force users of their respective eras. (Han's carotid artery will not be shut with a thought, for example.)

Equipment:
Bastilla:
  • Dbl Bladed Lightsaber
  • Codes to the ship
  • Skills and abilities

Zannah:
  • Dbl Bladed Lightsaber
  • Skills and abilities

Mara Jade:
  • Lightsaber, blaster, etc (as per Emperor's Hand Equipment mentioned in Sacrifice)
  • Splicing Equipment (a la KotOR)
  • Skills and abilities

Han Solo:
  • Full Mandalorian armor including helmet (360 degree visual)
  • Blasters, as per standard
  • Transponder to allow the Falcon to retain sensor lock through the cloak
  • Skills and abilities

Are the skills and abilities Mara Jade and Han Solo use in canon enough to get through G0T0's Yacht to use those skills and abilities successfully against Bastilla and Zannah?

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Like Advent, I intend to argue Bastilla as a fully substantiated character. I also believe that Mara Jade is a powerful combatant without the need for prep or ridiculous batmannery. I will argue against whatever position seems most popular at the time.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2011 07:11 AM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

I have no problem with using the OP to validate Bastilla actually. It's stated, we shall deal with it.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2011 12:20 PM
Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I'm still kicking myself for not finishing the Bane trilogy--if only so I can better argue the characters. But from what I've heard, Zannah has enough going for her. She and Bastila and the ship's defenses, I feel, could take Mara and Han out.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2011 12:28 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

Definitly. Zannah could go toe to toe with Bane without being killed. She also could take Solo out with one of her spells from wherever he happened to be on the ship. I find it hard to argue Bastilla's abilities, but no matter what her abilities, i think th game wants her to have enough ability that she could at least cross blades with Mara long enough for Zannah to take out force-defenseless Solo. Beyond that, I could see Zannah soloing Mara, so with Bastilla, it is over rather quickly.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2011 01:18 PM
Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

On a totally related topic, I just have to point out that we're totally getting ahead of Star Wars tech.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2011 01:52 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

From what I remember from LOTF Han is a pretty shitty assassin.

Edit: I want those age deceleration drugs.

Last edited by Nephthys on Oct 9th, 2011 at 02:18 PM

Old Post Oct 9th, 2011 02:14 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Mara Jade is called a "High Level Jedi Master" in more than one source.

And she's got all the accouterments that she used against Jacen.

I kind of expect Han to be able to stall Bastilla while Mara Jade takes out Zannah. What makes you guys think that Mara couldn't do that?

Old Post Oct 9th, 2011 03:02 PM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

Zannah beat Bane. I know Mara is good, but not as good as Bane, i don't even think close. But I'm thinking Zannah takes out Solo, while Bastilla stalls Jade. That makes more tactical sense, since Zannah has Sith Sorcery that pretty much makes anyone without the force helpless against her.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2011 03:06 PM
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Here's my problem with that:
Mara Jade is significantly more powerful in the Force than I'm willing to believe of Bastilla. Bastilla seems to have gotten a significant boost by falling Dark, but even then her best feats are on Dark Side nexuses. Mara Jade, on the other hand, is shown (for example) using three Master level techniques simultaneously, which I believe is more than enough to at least call her equal to Zannah, and definitely more talented than Bastilla.

In my evaluation, Mara can take out either of her two opponents individually. The challenge comes when they are in a team. And her considerable tactical expertise suggests that the intruders won't just barge into the bridge.

(I thought Han had a combat feat in armor against the Crazy Twi-Lek Sith, (Aleema Rar?) but now I'm not sure. Hasn't Han got anything to bring to the table? There are so many scenes that I skimmed in LotF.)

Old Post Oct 9th, 2011 03:16 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Mara is not at all equal to Zannah imo. If Bastila stays on the bridge and uses Battle Meditation then Zannah solos with ease.

What are the specifics of Mara using 3 Master level abilities at once?

Old Post Oct 9th, 2011 03:22 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

yeah, i really don't think Mara is Zannah's equal either... (and I LOVE mara)

Solo basically brings crazy Solo luck to the table, which in a narrative, is VERY important. The guy never loses. But in a versus forum? We would be like HWKA to try to make a supposition of what is going to happen to turn the fight in Solo's favor.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2011 03:25 PM
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Apparently it was three Knight level abilities. Here's my favorite quote:

quote:
It was time to be a Jedi instead of a spy. As a spy, she'd probably have fixed a line thrower to the top of the CorSec building, launched a driller projectile, trailing a nearly invisible cable, to affix itself to the top of Thrackan's dome, and used a powered or hand-cranked winch to carry her the quarter kilometer from rooftop to rooftop . . . and even so, her chances of detection would have been very high. Instead, she carried almost no equipment, and her chances of detection would be determined by her own concentration.

She allowed herself to float down to stand just above the blue clover. The bubble of Force energy that kept her aloft was easier to maintain when she was mere centimeters above the surface-merely having the mental image, the paradigm, of it as a sort of air-filled balloon improved her ability to perceive it, to maintain it. She'd need to employ all the concentration tricks she knew, because what she was about to do was very tricky.

At the base of the wall, she stood a moment, eyes closed, and focused on the other things she'd have to do to cross two hundred meters of sensor-filled open space.

Air. She could not keep air from moving, of course. As she moved, she would displace it. But she added motion to the air she displaced, so that it moved out in a single stream, losing neither speed nor coherence for dozens of meters ahead of her. To a sensor, it would read not as the movement of a person across the lawn, but as a breeze.

Heat. That would be the trickiest part. If she radiated heat, infrared sensors would inevitably pick it up. She surrounded herself with another bubble, this one of containment . . . and immediately felt her temperature begin to rise as the heat she expended stayed within centimeters of her skin. She could even control herself to the point that she did not sweat, and would need to do so here-but that, too, would increase her internal temperature.

She couldn't sustain the effect of heat entrapment for long; she would end up collapsing. But she should be able to sustain it long enough to cross the open space between wall and bunker . . . and in that time, infrared detectors would not see her.

Probably.

She stepped forward, concentrating on the act of walking, reminding herself that the movement of her legs was only a comforting paradigm-levitating in some other pose would require more of her attention. Each step felt a bit wobbly, as though she were moving across a flexible playground surface, but she fell into a regular pace and let her muscle memory do the work for her.

Yes, any Jedi Knight might know one of these three techniques-most commonly, the technique of levitation. But only a Jedi Master was likely to know all three or be able to sustain them simultaneously across such a broad distance.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2011 03:31 PM
Tzeentch
#gottem

Mara solo's by batmanning her way through the ship. With PIS on, both of the other women will play right into her hands.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Oct 9th, 2011 04:35 PM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

quote: (post)
Originally posted by truejedi
Zannah beat Bane. I know Mara is good, but not as good as Bane, i don't even think close.

Mara beat Caedus. I know Zannah is good, but not as good as Caedus, i don't even think close.

(This is my defense, but I'll try to put up a coherent argument within two days. I am officially checking out until then.)

Old Post Oct 9th, 2011 04:38 PM
truejedi

k, take it easy red. i would just like to point out that Mara did NOT beat caedus, so take that into account when you post a longer argument. : )

Old Post Oct 9th, 2011 04:41 PM
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Solo Luck for the win. This is a ship, albeit not a ship of his generation, but he's an amazing mechanic and tech guy. I can see him doing something devious (and accidental) and taking away the advantage of the ship's defenses.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2011 04:50 PM
Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I don't see a way for Mara to logically beat Zannah personally. She cannot defeat her in lightsabers and she cannot overcome her in the Force.

Meanwhile Solo is more or less a non-factor imo.

Also the two are already at a disadvantage from having to fight through GOTOs yacht. And no doubt having to do so under the debilitating effects of Bastilas Battle Meditation.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2011 04:56 PM
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Originally posted by Nephthys
I don't see a way for Mara to logically beat Zannah personally. She cannot defeat her in lightsabers and she cannot overcome her in the Force.

Meanwhile Solo is more or less a non-factor imo.

Also the two are already at a disadvantage from having to fight through GOTOs yacht. And no doubt having to do so under the debilitating effects of Bastilas Battle Meditation.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2011 05:33 PM
Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Old Post Oct 9th, 2011 05:41 PM
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Originally posted by Nephthys

It's canon, I win.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2011 05:54 PM