KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Sidious vs Yoda

Sidious vs Yoda
Started by: EmperorSidious2

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
EmperorSidious2
Master of Magic

Sidious vs Yoda

I know I know not another one of these but it's a puzzling question. When they fought the playing field was fairly uneven for both character. So who woudl win if on neutral ground.

Round 1 sabers

Round 2. Force

Round 3 all out

Plenty of objects to throw around, on a flat grassy piece of land.
Who wins if their even is a winner?

This is them in their ROTS incarnations.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2015 03:51 AM
Click here to Send EmperorSidious2 a Private Message Find more posts by EmperorSidious2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deronn Solo
King Yami

Sidious all rounds.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2015 03:56 AM
Click here to Send Deronn Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Deronn Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Yoda could maybe take sabers, Sidious wins force/all out.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2015 04:07 AM
Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Angelalex242

5/10.

The actual fight in ROTS was just one of Sidious's 5.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2015 04:11 AM
Click here to Send Angelalex242 a Private Message Find more posts by Angelalex242 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Still, too close to call tbh.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Angelalex242
5/10.

The actual fight in ROTS was just one of Sidious's 5.

thumb up

Old Post Sep 10th, 2015 08:46 AM
Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Sidious is not taking sabers for a majority. The rest is either even or perhaps a slight edge to Palpatine.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2015 09:43 AM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Sidious in all three.

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Sep 10th, 2015 09:50 AM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by SunRazer
Sidious is not taking sabers for a majority. The rest is either even or perhaps a slight edge to Palpatine.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2015 10:07 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Yeah, he's going to lose sabers when multiple quotes confirmed Yoda lost their duel. And even newer quotes posted by ILS state that he lost again.

Not sure why people lowball Sidious's skill, the gap isn't huge but Yoda isn't a better duelist by any stretch

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Sep 10th, 2015 10:11 AM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

The original script and the junior novel depict Yoda as disarming Sidious, and even if you count that as "one of the five out of ten rounds where Yoda wins", that doesn't confirm Sidious' superiority, which has never been shown or even implied anywhere.

Sidious's victories came from the Force (and in some sources, weight/positioning also mattered), not sabers. He's equal to Yoda, but not his better in that regard.

I'll concede the point when somebody can show me a source which suggests Sidious is more skilled. And Yoda doesn't have to be more skilled for Sidious to be unable to take a majority. Draws do exist, you know?

Old Post Sep 10th, 2015 10:15 AM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sinious
Yo Da Best

Originally posted by carthage
Sidious in all three.

"That is why you fail."

Old Post Sep 10th, 2015 10:18 AM
Click here to Send Sinious a Private Message Find more posts by Sinious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Draws do exist, you know?

Except no sources confirm there was a draw, and the film very clearly depicts him losing thumb up

quote:
"Outmatched, Yoda retreats and waits to train a new champion to lead the fight against evil."

"Though Yoda is a tough combatant, the Emperor uses his Sith powers to release lightning bolts and hurl floating platforms at his foe. Ultimately the battle proves too much for Yoda, who barely escapes and is whisked away to safety by Senator Bail Organa."

"Yoda tries to stop Palpatine, the new Emperor, from taking control. He loses and barely escapes with his life."

Ultimate Star Wars, pages 52-53

-Credit to ILS
Also the ROTS novelization states he didn't have it, etc.

quote:
Although Yoda held his own for much of the duel, in the end the Sith bested him. He realized that continuing to directly confront Palpatine would mean failure. Defeated, Yoda slunk away into the shadow's of the Senate chamber's cavernous depths, leaping into a waiting getaway speeder piloted by Bail Organa.

Source: The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia

The text states Yoda was outmatched, nowhere is it mentioned they're equals

Old Post Sep 10th, 2015 10:22 AM
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Either this paragraph was invisible or you intentionally ignored it:

quote:
Sidious's victories came from the Force (and in some sources, weight/positioning also mattered), not sabers. He's equal to Yoda, but not his better in that regard.

I KNOW that Sidious won. I'm saying nothing ever showed he was Yoda's better in sabers. Force, I could live with - I could even agree with. But sabers? Show me what source suggests Sidious would take the majority in sabers only.

And if you want me to, I can draw on multiple sources that say Yoda is Palpatine's equal.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2015 10:25 AM
Darth Thor

The only reason I saw for Yoda's loss in the film is that he fell further after the final blast.

I don't see how that was Sidious's superiority more than a result of unequal weight/positioning as SunRazer put it.

No quote about Yoda losing or being ultimately outmatched contradicts that.

And nothing contradicts the script where Yoda disarms Sidious in the Saber match up either.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Sep 10th, 2015 at 10:33 AM

Old Post Sep 10th, 2015 10:30 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Nah, the junior novel says that since Yoda was lighter, he was thrown further and higher, and had nothing to break his fall (until he slipped off the Chancellor's podium) unlike Sidious, who managed to grab onto the end of the Senate pod.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2015 10:31 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

"Size matters not", lol.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2015 10:41 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

I KNOW that Sidious won. I'm saying nothing ever showed he was Yoda's better in sabers. Force, I could live with - I could even agree with. But sabers? Show me what source suggests Sidious would take the majority in sabers only.

And if you want me to, I can draw on multiple sources that say Yoda is Palpatine's equal.

thumb up

Nah, the junior novel says that since Yoda was lighter, he was thrown further and higher, and had nothing to break his fall (until he slipped off the Chancellor's podium) unlike Sidious, who managed to grab onto the end of the Senate pod.

thumb up

Old Post Sep 10th, 2015 11:03 AM
Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by carthage
and the film very clearly depicts him losing thumb up
Where?

Old Post Sep 10th, 2015 11:13 AM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yoda can take sabers in a very long and tiring duel.
Force- Sidious
All Out- Too close to call imo Sidious 5.5/10

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Sep 10th, 2015 11:12 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Kurk
Yoda can take sabers in a very long and tiring duel.
Force- Sidious
All Out- Too close to call imo Sidious 5.5/10

thumb up

Old Post Sep 11th, 2015 11:12 AM