KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Canon Difficulties #1: A Critique of the "subjectivity of the EU"

Canon Difficulties #1: A Critique of the "subjectivity of the EU"
Started by: DarthSkywalker0

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

Canon Difficulties #1: A Critique of the "subjectivity of the EU"

Disclaimer: This only applies to Legends

The "EU is subjective". This is a claim; I constantly hear when discussing star wars. It particularly shows up in regards to Anakin wank. There are two quotes I have seen which supposedly purport this notion.

quote:
On this site in August 2001, Steve Sansweet quoted Chris Cerasi about the canon policy. At one point, he mentions:

"The analogy is that every piece of published Star Wars fiction is a window into the 'real' Star Wars universe. Some windows are a bit foggier than others. Some are decidedly abstract. But each contains a nugget of truth to them."

My question is this: with the two different Star Wars continuities of Film alone and Film+EU, is the 'foggy window' of the EU materials as described above referring to a window into the 'real' Star Wars universe of the Film alone continuity, the 'real' Star Wars universe of the Film+EU continuity, or does it mean something else which I'm not understanding properly?[...]

Film+EU continuity. Anything not in the current version of the films is irrelevant to Film only continuity.

- Leland Chee, LLP continuity database admin, Dec. 2006 - posts from the "Holocron database continuity questions" thread at the StarWars.com forums

Leland claims in this quote that the EU serves as a "foggy mirror" of true continuity. I think the question asked was certainly leading, but regardless Chee contradicts his superiors and himself. Sue Rostini, Chee's former boss, has stated,

quote:
“Canon refers to an authoritative list of books that the Lucas Licensing editors consider an authentic part of the official Star Wars history. Our goal is to present a continuous and unified history of the Star Wars galaxy, insofar as that history does not conflict with, or undermine the meaning of Mr. Lucas’s Star Wars saga of films and screenplays.” ~ Sue Rostoni, Lucas Licensing Editor, Star Wars Gamer #6

This certainly does not come across as a foggy mirror of the genuine artifact. But, Rostoni is not alone in her advocacy for the EU's canonicity and validity. Perhaps, the most viable source on this topic is Howard Roffman. Howard Roffman is the creator and approver of the EU. He serves as 2nd in command to Kathlene Kennady and has intimate knowledge of canon and the universe as a whole.

quote:
“We’ve stuck to a very clear branding strategy for the past decade. This is Star Wars. Individual movies come and go, as do TV shows, video games, books. They all contribute to the lore of Star Wars, but in the end it is one saga and that saga is called Star Wars. We’ve wanted to send a clear message to our fans that everything we do is part of that overall saga.” ~Howard Roffman, Executive Vice President, Franchise Management. quote from Star Wars.com regarding The Clone Wars. Original Article is no longer available but the archive file is here.

quote:
Lucasfilm Licensing serves two functions. They make sure all new material is consistent with the films; consistent in it’s portrayal of the Rebels and Empire’s conflict; consistent in how it introduces characters of different races and cultures; and even consistent in design direction. Additionally, Licensing makes sure the new material from different sources is consistent. “Our aim is to have a lot of cross-fertilization between mediums. This validates the universe for fans,” continued Roffman. “We’re building an integrated team that’s producting product in this integrated universe.” The result is a universe so carefully and explicitly evolved that it begins to parallel our own Milky Way in its diversity, logic and believability.
– Lucasarts by Sue Serman(Chee's old boss), SWInsider Issue 23, 1994

Roffman served as Lucas's right-hand man for over 30 years his knowledge on this subject is undoubtedly reliable. We also have Chee's predecessor Allan Kausch who had advocated for the EU's validity. I mentioned up above that Chee has contradicted himself, and this patently true. Here are multiple quotes by Chee which disavow the notion of parallel universes.

quote:
On the other hand, the quote you provide makes it sound like the EU is separate from George’s vision of the Star Wars universe. It is not. The EU must follow certain tenets set by George through the films and other guidelines that he provides outside of the films. “-Leland Chee, Continuity Database administrator aka Keeper of the Holocron for Lucas Licensing, on starwars.com December 7, 2005

This next quote is the most damning.

quote:
[HolocronKeeper] does not support the notion of parallel SW universes.”-Leland Chee, Continuity Database administrator aka Keeper of the Holocron for Lucas Licensing, Tweet August 2009 (observation: then they should not have created one, assuming fans would ABANDON decades of lore willingly.)

Chee has also said there is only one continuity.

quote:
“The thing about Star Wars is that there’s one universe,” Chee says. “Everyone wants to know stuff, like, where did Mace Windu get that purple lightsaber? We want to establish that there’s one and only one answer.”-Leland Chee, Continuity Database administrator aka Keeper of the Holocron for Lucas Licensing, Interview with thewire.com August 2008/QUOTE]

So, I do not think it is fair to use Chee's quote as an indicator of canon policy. The next quote is straight out of the mouth of Lucas.

(please log in to view the image)

While Lucas personally views his universe as separate he is involved in all of the major events and almost all of the early material. Chee actually responded to this quote,

[QUOTE]“GL is certainly not bound by the EU, though he’s certainly open to using things created in it (Aayla Secura and the Coruscant name, for example). On the other hand, the quote you provide makes it sound like the EU is separate from George’s vision of the Star Wars universe. It is not. The EU must follow certain tenets set by George through the films and other guidelines that he provides outside of the films. “-Leland Chee, Continuity Database administrator aka Keeper of the Holocron for Lucas Licensing, on starwars.com December 7, 2005 (In response to the “I don’t read those books” Starlog magazine quote)

But George actually does try to bind himself to the material.

quote:
“Over the years, many artists and designers have contributed to the articulation of the various universes of Lucasfilm. Taking their cues from the minimal words of description on a script page, these talented men and women have sketched, drawn and/or modeled creatures of magnificent breadth, unimaginable terror, and mind-boggling eccentricity. Some of these creatures have made it into film, while others, because of the way stories unravel, have not (so far). But this does not mean they do not exist. For once something is created, no matter what the context, it takes on a life of its own.”
―Foreword written by George Lucas in Monsters and Aliens from George Lucas

And as previously mentioned Lucas is involved in basically every major decision.

quote:
“LucasBooks has always checked with the boss to make sure that none of its projects interferes in any way with anything that he is planning. And while plans can change, rest assured that the wonderful expanded fictional universe enjoyed by so many fans has in no way stomped or trampled on any of George Lucas’s prerogatives or options.”-Steve Sansweet, Director of content management and had of fan relations at Lucasfilm, Starwars.com November, 2000

quote:
“The idea (licensing deal with Bantam) was passed to George Lucas who agreed that licensing could expand upon the films with original fiction set after Return of the Jedi. In the early days of the publishing department Wilson worked closely with her administrative assistant Sue Rostoni (Now managing editor of the department as well as adult fiction) on editorial projects. The two of them decided that to maintain quality it would be crucial to monitor the storylines of all projects to ensure that none of their books contradicted one another. This continuity decision became one of the department’s biggest challenges and greatens successes.” Star Wars Insider 59 June, 2002

quote:
Rather than forbid each of us to get into those mysterious areas, it was decided that we should submit questionnaires to George Lucas. Basically, we would make up long lists of ideas we wanted to use and he would check “OK” or “Not OK” next to each idea. For example, I made a long list of possible powers that the ancient Jedi possessed. He vetoed most of them but okayed some rather interesting ones, such as the ability to “study the qualities of animals and acquire those qualities. He also okayed the use of Jedi Battle Meditation – the ability to influence events by interior visualization. – Tom Veitch, “Telling Tales” interview with Dan Wallace for Star Wars Galaxy Magazine. Issue 13, November 1997

quote:
Lucas approves every important addition to the canon. The ambitious story beats contained in the new game The Force Unleashed were permitted only after he signed off—and spent hours talking to the developers about the relationship between Darth Vader and the Emperor.”- Leland Chee, Continuity Database administrator aka Keeper of the Holocron for Lucas Licensing, Interview with thewire.com August 2008

And to quote Lucas,

quote:
“George Lucas says “There really isn’t any story to tell. It’s been covered in the books, and video games, and comic books which are things I think are incredibly creative.”

Lucas was especially active in the early-stages of the EU. Every darkhorse comic being approved personally by him. I hope this clears up some misconceptions.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2018 05:07 AM
Click here to Send DarthSkywalker0 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthSkywalker0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

Wrong forum, good compilation of quotes

Old Post Jan 20th, 2018 07:30 AM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

I think you're using a somewhat vague definition of "subjective"; the foggy mirrors interpretation is very different from the parallel universe one.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2018 08:43 AM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Ellimist
I think you're using a somewhat vague definition of "subjective"; the foggy mirrors interpretation is very different from the parallel universe one.

Well, the idea of it being a foggy mirror just is not corroborated by the vast majority of quotes. Chee has stated that there is no g-canon rather its all one thing. And Roffman says its completely accurate to Lucas's vision. And Ant has spoken about the subjective stuff.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2018 04:04 PM
Click here to Send DarthSkywalker0 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthSkywalker0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Originally posted by DarthSkywalker0
Well, the idea of it being a foggy mirror just is not corroborated by the vast majority of quotes. Chee has stated that there is no g-canon rather its all one thing. And Roffman says its completely accurate to Lucas's vision. And Ant has spoken about the subjective stuff.

That doesn't contradict the foggy mirrors idea, which maps onto the real world pretty well; different sources of evidence in real life also have varying levels of accuracy (e.g. DNA testing vs. eyewitness testimony) that each help us paint different approximations of the "truth". Likewise, we know that the foggy mirrors model works to some degree at the very least because sources will literally give different lines of dialogue for the same events and we presumably know that the Star Wars universe doesn't really look like, say, a cartoon or animation.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2018 09:25 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

Welp, due to the fact that most EU-during/post movies follow Lucas' vision is sort of subjectivity. Only TOR is free of Lucas' canon because it doesn't conflict with his characters.

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Jan 20th, 2018 09:32 PM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

That doesn't contradict the foggy mirrors idea, which maps onto the real world pretty well; different sources of evidence in real life also have varying levels of accuracy (e.g. DNA testing vs. eyewitness testimony) that each help us paint different approximations of the "truth". Likewise, we know that the foggy mirrors model works to some degree at the very least because sources will literally give different lines of dialogue for the same events and we presumably know that the Star Wars universe doesn't really look like, say, a cartoon or animation.

Chee has said that there is only one continuity. There are no different levels. the G-canon idea is a myth as I will discuss in my next blog. It is meant to be directly accurate and they are constrained by Lucas completely. To quote Howard Roffman,

We wanted to send a clear message to our fans that everything we do is part of that overall saga.” ~Howard Roffman, Executive Vice President, Franchise Management.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2018 09:44 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Chee has said that there is only one continuity. There are no different levels. the G-canon idea is a myth as I will discuss in my next blog. It is meant to be directly accurate and they are constrained by Lucas completely. To quote Howard Roffman,

We wanted to send a clear message to our fans that everything we do is part of that overall saga.” ~Howard Roffman, Executive Vice President, Franchise Management.

Sorry but that doesn't address what I was saying at all.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2018 09:47 PM
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

Your statement:

quote:
That doesn't contradict the foggy mirrors idea, which maps onto the real world pretty well; different sources of evidence in real life also have varying levels of accuracy (e.g. DNA testing vs. eyewitness testimony) that each help us paint different approximations of the "truth".

There is no variance in continuity. The only source that is more valid then the rest is the movies. There is just one continuity. The EU is not a foggy mirror of Lucas's true vision. It is a direct representation, as confirmed by Lucas's right-hand man.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2018 09:49 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Your statement:

There is no variance in continuity. The only source that is more valid then the rest is the movies. There is just one continuity. The EU is not a foggy mirror of Lucas's true vision. It is a direct representation, as confirmed by Lucas's right-hand man.

That there's one continuity doesn't mean that everything is perfectly accurate for reasons I provided (e.g. how do you deal with conflicting descriptions of equivalent events? Is the Star Wars universe constantly transitioning between cartoon and live action color schemes?)

Besides, if our metric is Lucas's vision (mine isn't, but yours appears to be) I don't think him "approving" a random NJO book put on his desk one morning is the same as him actually directing and meticulously revising one of the movies.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2018 09:51 PM
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

How you mentioned differing dialogue, but that is just an error on the continuity editors, but the sources themselves are all equal in value and are all accurate with the films.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2018 09:52 PM
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

That there's one continuity doesn't mean that everything is perfectly accurate for reasons I provided (e.g. how do you deal with conflicting descriptions of equivalent events? Is the Star Wars universe constantly transitioning between cartoon and live action color schemes?)

Besides, if our metric is Lucas's vision (mine isn't, but yours appears to be) I don't think him "approving" a random NJO book put on his desk one morning is the same as him actually directing and meticulously revising one of the movies.

Alright a few things, the differing dialogue is poor continuity editing. Lucas was involved in each NJO book, every big EU event, and looked at every dark horse series.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2018 10:02 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Alright a few things, the differing dialogue is poor continuity editing.

I doubt it. The RotS novelization for instance was line-edited by Lucas and yet has drastically different retellings of events that would be trivial to just match to the movie (thankfully Stover didn't do that) - some of the different dialogue and events he uses are obviously not like him misremembering RotS or misreading the script lol.

quote:

Lucas was involved in each NJO book, every big EU event, and looked at every dark horse series.

Um sure you're welcome to believe that Lucas cared about Legacy of the Force: Fury as much as he did about Revenge of the Sith.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2018 10:10 PM
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

I doubt it. The RotS novelization for instance was line-edited by Lucas and yet has drastically different retellings of events that would be trivial to just match to the movie (thankfully Stover didn't do that) - some of the different dialogue and events he uses are obviously not like him misremembering RotS or misreading the script lol.

They are all meant to be 100% accurate but Lucas would still have authority in a battle. But, it is all meant to be one continuity.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2018 10:26 PM
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

Um sure you're welcome to believe that Lucas cared about Legacy of the Force: Fury as much as he did about Revenge of the Sith. [/B]

Of course, he didn't. But he was apprised of all major events to ensure they stayed consistent with his vision.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2018 10:29 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

They are all meant to be 100% accurate but Lucas would still have authority in a battle. But, it is all meant to be one continuity.

So all sources are equal, but some are more equal than others? stick out tongue

Of course, he didn't. But he was apprised of all major events to ensure they stayed consistent with his vision.

Yes but since you acknowledge there isn't 100% accuracy, obviously some sources get more attention than others, which is the point - it's a relative scale, not a black or white thing, even if that's by imperfection rather than design.

I do suppose you've reneged on the TFU-exaggerated argument then.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2018 10:34 PM
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

So all sources are equal, but some are more equal than others? stick out tongue

They are all meant to be equal, but there can be imperfections. Think of it like canon today.

quote:
Yes but since you acknowledge there isn't 100% accuracy, obviously some sources get more attention than others, which is the point - it's a relative scale, not a black or white thing, even if that's by imperfection rather than design.

I do suppose you've reneged on the TFU-exaggerated argument then.

Well, the game itself can be exaggerated, because I am truly unsure how video games play into the true continuity.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2018 10:36 PM
Grim'alkun

Howard Roffman admits in 2017 video interview that Lucas would not allow there to be one Star Wars Universe. It won't let me post the link because I'm new just go to youtube and use 'Messing with a Classic — Howard Roffman, Lucasfilm, 2017 interview.' - Quotes from it below
They were seperate universes and Lucas did not care, he did what he wanted and he most certainly did not consider the EU canon. I've got tons of quotes but lets start with the Roffman video and the Dave Filoni video where he says Lucas only considered the 6 movies and the Clone Wars series canon and that Lucas Licensing lied about it being 'canonical'.
---------------------------------------------
"That was one of my mandates, when I began the spin off publishing program it
was a sacrosanct rule that everything had to relate to each other, be
consistent with each other and be consistent with the movies, 'which were
canon.'

We were pretty religious about doing that, our biggest problem was a guy named George Lucas, because he didn't buy into the spin off fiction and the game program and all the 'alternate universe' we were creating."

We wanted it to be one universe,we felt strongly that that's what it needed to
be, but George as the filmmaker didn't want to be beholden to somebody else's
creative vision.

So we would have very interesting skirmishes because we had a bunch of stuff
that became, for the fans, pretty much canon [head-canon] about what happened
after Return of the Jedi, what different places in the galaxy were called, lots of different things and if he was proposing to do something in the prequels that contradicted that we would have long debates which usually ended at least after the first session with "I don't care this is what I'm doing", and maybe after the 4th or 5th session sometimes "Alright 'maybe' we can change it this way"

Now that everything is controlled by one central committee [Lucasfilm Story Group] we can have canon that applies to everything."

Messing with a Classic — Howard Roffman, Lucasfilm, 2017 interview.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2020 06:08 AM
Click here to Send Grim'alkun a Private Message Find more posts by Grim'alkun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grim'alkun

Dave Filoni saus Lucas only considered movies and TV series canon

Again it won't let me post links, but just look up 'Dave Filoni interview, extended edition', it was an episode of The Star Wars Show, here's the quote from it -

"There's this notion that everything changed when everything became Legends.
And I can see why people think that. But, you know, having worked with George
I can tell you that it was always very clear -- and he made it very clear --
that the films and the TV shows were the only things that he considered Canon.
That was it.*

"So everything else was a world of fun ideas, exciting characters, great
possibilities, the EU was created to explore all those things.And I know and I
fully respect peoples opinions about it that some of the material said 'the
next canon part of it' <wink,wink>.... But from the filmmaking world I was

brought into, *the films and TV shows were it".
~ Dave Filoni speaking about working with George Lucas

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2020 06:11 AM
Click here to Send Grim'alkun a Private Message Find more posts by Grim'alkun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grim'alkun

Leland Chee was a liar and got caught lieing and admitted the truth quotes

Leland Chee Quotes -
------------------
[Sorry if im doing this wrong, I'm new here.

*Leland Chee Quotes on the Expanded Universe*

"What George did with the films and The Clone Wars was pretty much *his universe* ,” Chee said. “He didn’t really have that much concern for what we were doing in the books and games. *So the Expanded Universe was very much separate."*

~ Leland Chee, 2017 - SYFY WIRE

------------------

*“Lucas’ canon – and when I say ‘his canon’, I’m talking about what he was doing in the films and what he was doing in The Clone Wars* – was hugely important. But what we were doing in *the books really wasn’t on his radar.”*

–Leland Chee, 2018

-------------

"The dual universe question comes up often. *I know George Lucas has mentioned it being two universes* , but that’s not how I see it. His vision is definitely not beholden to ours, but ours is definitely beholden to his."
~ Leland Chee 2012

----------------

“I did not have direct contact with George about Star Wars continuity. Dave Filoni, who worked on Clone Wars, definitely did. So for me, the spirit of George’s work is what’s in the films, and it doesn’t go too far beyond that.”
~ Leland Chee 2018

-----------------

*"I didn't have any direct contact with George about Star Wars. - I would see some notes based on the interviews or the meetings. But I did not have direct contact with George about Star Wars continuity."*
~ Leland Chee 2018

[He never even met George Lucas.]
------------

"Understand, that the *Holocron's primary purpose is to keep track of Star Wars continuity for Lucas Licensing* , and to some degree Lucas Online. To my knowledge, it is only *rarely used for production purposes."*

~ Leland Chee 2005/6

[Lucas was in Production]
----------------

*"The G/C/S-level canon stuff is a construct specifically for the Holocron. Non-Holocron users would have no idea what this stuff even means* and I would say most of the people who use the Holocron don't use the field, instead looking specifically to the source of the material. Individual entries are not broken down by canon level."
~ Leland Chee 2005

*[What this means is that whole 'canon tier' he made up, that wasn't policy that was a filing system protocol like the Dewy Decimal system. It had no baring on actual canon or anything outside of his office.]*

------------

*"Star Wars continuity, even EU continuity, does not rest on my shoulders.* Our licensees submit product directly to either our editors or our product development managers. *The Holocron serves as a tool for them to check any issues regarding continuity,* and after that, if the editors or developers have any questions, they pass it along to me to check for continuity. At the same time, I am constantly on the lookout to make sure that any new continuity being created gets entered in the Holocron. *With regard to the the films and The Clone Wars, I am not involved in continuity approvals* though I have often
been asked to provide reference material."

~ Leland Chee

[This is the worst one of them all. Wow, just wow.]

------------

*"No, GWL has not given directives as to how things are entered in the Holocron."* (12-17-04) ~ Leland Chee ~ 2004

*"...applies only to the Holocron, but is not the same as their standing in LFL's canon hierarchy."* ~ Leland Chee ~ 2005

*"I'm unclear as to the definition of LFL in this case. I know of no other internal hierarchy currently in use."*
~ Leland Chee ~ 2004

---------

"Dave Filoni is better equipped to relay Lucas’ true feelings about the EU."
~ Leland Chee

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2020 06:13 AM