KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Kylo Ren vs. Magnaguards

Kylo Ren vs. Magnaguards
Started by: Mendax

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mendax
Hand of God

Kylo Ren vs. Magnaguards

Kylo Ren as of TLJ-
(please log in to view the image)

vs.

The 2 Magnaguards Anakin and Kenobi fought on GG's flagship during ROTS-
(please log in to view the image)

-sabers only for Kylo.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2018 10:20 PM
Click here to Send Mendax a Private Message Find more posts by Mendax Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Kylo goes crying home, covered in electrical burns, to daddy Snoke.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Mar 7th, 2018 11:42 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

Kylo.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Mar 8th, 2018 08:55 AM
Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Probably Kylo, because I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. That said, I think it would be a very hard-earned win for him based on what we've seen up to this point(assuming he won at all.)

Those Magnaguards were at least good enough to give RotS Anakin and Kenobi pause, after all, and Kylo's saber prowess hasn't exactly been what I would call 'impressive' thus far. /shrug

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 10th, 2018 at 04:11 PM

Old Post Mar 10th, 2018 03:59 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

The ST appears to be following the trend of "PT duelists >>>> all", with Pablo or someone apparently saying that Kylo is an unpolished duelist or whatever.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2018 04:43 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Ellimist
The ST appears to be following the trend of "PT duelists >>>> all", with Pablo or someone apparently saying that Kylo is an unpolished duelist or whatever.

Well it would make sense given the setting and what not.

Anyway, can't really see Kylo taking this, especially if he's fighting two.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2018 04:53 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthDuelist9

Kylo, he was slaughtering praetorian guards who should logically be superior to those magnaguards.

Check out my new Kylo Ren Site! http://darthduelist9.wixsite.com/kylo-ren

Old Post Mar 10th, 2018 05:54 PM
Click here to Send DarthDuelist9 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthDuelist9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Originally posted by DarthDuelist9
Kylo, he was slaughtering praetorian guards who should logically be superior to those magnaguards.

Why would they necessarily be superior?

Old Post Mar 10th, 2018 06:07 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Kylo, he was slaughtering praetorian guards
So was Rey...

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 10th, 2018 at 07:41 PM

Old Post Mar 10th, 2018 07:34 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthDuelist9

Why would they necessarily be superior?

Snoke had the funds to built 60 km ships, I think that if Magnaguards were truly superior to the PT guards he could've used them to protect him?

Old Post Mar 10th, 2018 10:38 PM
Click here to Send DarthDuelist9 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthDuelist9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthDuelist9

Originally posted by Galan007
So was Rey...

Yeah indeed, however I don't really see how it affects this discussion?

Old Post Mar 10th, 2018 10:38 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^ Because Rey had virtually no formal training with a lightsaber, and still bested the Praetorian Guards as well. IOW, Kylo besting them doesn't really stand out to me as some uber display of saber prowess that automatically puts him above the Magnaguards... As mentioned, these two Magnaguards gave RotS Anakin and Kenobi pause -- and I'm sure we can agree that each of them were vastly better swordsmen than young Benjamin.

Again, I'd really like to think Kylo can beat a couple Magnaguards, but it's quite difficult for me to think of a showing that is indicative of such... /shrug

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 10th, 2018 at 11:41 PM

Old Post Mar 10th, 2018 11:36 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Snoke had the funds to built 60 km ships, I think that if Magnaguards were truly superior to the PT guards he could've used them to protect him?

I mean the CIS had considerable funds as well, and there's a limit to how powerful I think non-Force sensitives could be relative to robotic magnaguards programmed with fighting instructions who can give Obi Wan/Anakin trouble.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2018 11:38 PM
JMANGO
Restricted

Account Restricted

A very creative and nuanced answer. I'm truly impressed DD.

So here's my nuanced response to an argument premised on such subtleties. Assuming Snoke doesn't have limitless resources at his disposal, which areas do you think he can save money to fund these 60km ships? Personal security might be one. Did you ever consider that frugality might be how the rich stay that way...? Par example Warren Buffett, chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway, still lives in the same home he bought for $31,500 in 1958 and Ingvar Kamprad, founder of IKEA, reportedly flies economy and often rides the bus. Having crap fighters as your personal bodyguards could easily be a nice way to characterise Snoke's arrogance.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2018 11:57 PM
Click here to Send JMANGO a Private Message Find more posts by JMANGO Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

I mean Guri was a pretty kick-ass personal body-guard/assassin/sex-toy who could only be defeated by a jedi-knight in hand-to-hand combat, gave Luke a run for his money, but Snoke doesn't have one of her despite presumably being rich as Xizor.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Mar 11th, 2018 02:51 AM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthDuelist9

Originally posted by Galan007
^ Because Rey had virtually no formal training with a lightsaber, and still bested the Praetorian Guards as well. IOW, Kylo besting them doesn't really stand out to me as some uber display of saber prowess that automatically puts him above the Magnaguards... As mentioned, these two Magnaguards gave RotS Anakin and Kenobi pause -- and I'm sure we can agree that each of them were vastly better swordsmen than young Benjamin.

Again, I'd really like to think Kylo can beat a couple Magnaguards, but it's quite difficult for me to think of a showing that is indicative of such... /shrug

Depends how you really look at it, the Last Jedi novelization and the Force Awakens Visual Guide (partially) answers those complains. On Jakku, Rey trained daily to hone her skills with her quarterstaff to the point that she is said to have 'perfected' stabbing, swinging, ... motions. The TFA visual guide confirms that these skills are excellent for the transition to "shorter melee weapons" (AKA a lightsaber). On the other hand, she's probably on of the most natural Force wielders out there and the OT (and now the ST) have placed the emphasis on Force power (and its mastery) rather than duelling techniques. If you look at Luke, he didn't get any real lightsaber training besides the basic deflections lesson from Obi-Wan yet he becomes someone who can challenge Darth Vader in a relative short period. So no, I think that Rey killing the same number of guards isn't against the original argument I made for Kylo.

Going back to the RotS duel I think it's also important to make a distinction between an Obi-Wan and Anakin that are going full throttle on an opponent and them fighting some random magnaguards. Sure, they had some difficulty defeating them but it never seemed they were in an extremely dangerous situation that would push them to their limits.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2018 11:32 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

thumb up thumb up thumb up

Old Post Mar 11th, 2018 11:39 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthDuelist9

I mean the CIS had considerable funds as well, and there's a limit to how powerful I think non-Force sensitives could be relative to robotic magnaguards programmed with fighting instructions who can give Obi Wan/Anakin trouble.

Sure agreed, on the other hand those PT guards are the best warriors the First Order - an organisation that is centred around creating super soldiers as it's standard personel - has as they need to represent Snoke's fighting protection considering his deminished physical state (TLJ Visual Guide). I think that if those magnaguards, 50 year old technology by the time of TFA, are truly superior than those PT guards than Snoke would buy a truckload of those and let them be trained. Add to that the lightsaber resistent armor they wear and defeating them becomes a lot more difficult.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2018 11:41 AM
DarthDuelist9

Originally posted by JMANGO
A very creative and nuanced answer. I'm truly impressed DD.

So here's my nuanced response to an argument premised on such subtleties. Assuming Snoke doesn't have limitless resources at his disposal, which areas do you think he can save money to fund these 60km ships? Personal security might be one. Did you ever consider that frugality might be how the rich stay that way...? Par example Warren Buffett, chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway, still lives in the same home he bought for $31,500 in 1958 and Ingvar Kamprad, founder of IKEA, reportedly flies economy and often rides the bus. Having crap fighters as your personal bodyguards could easily be a nice way to characterise Snoke's arrogance.

Sure, good point there although I don't think a couple bodyguards are going to compensate for the massive cost of his ships smile Besides we know that they spent an extreme amount of resources on training their average footsoldier so I don't think they will hold back on their Supreme Leaders personal guards.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2018 11:45 AM
DarthDuelist9

Originally posted by Kurk
I mean Guri was a pretty kick-ass personal body-guard/assassin/sex-toy who could only be defeated by a jedi-knight in hand-to-hand combat, gave Luke a run for his money, but Snoke doesn't have one of her despite presumably being rich as Xizor.

That's in Legends, we have no idea how far that kind of technology advanced in the Canon timeline.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2018 11:46 AM