KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » What reaaaallly makes your blood boil in comics?

What reaaaallly makes your blood boil in comics?
Started by: DarkCrawler

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
DarkCrawler
KABOOOOM!!

What reaaaallly makes your blood boil in comics?

The little things that make you angry.

I'm sometimes pissed off when they don't always show the exact tonnage of things characters weight or the speeds they fly. That forces me to do extensive study of things and comparising the things in the world and in comics. Example:
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/16...omsship13jn.gif
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/...omsship23zh.gif
The ship there has been described as floating city, so it obviously is big. But I have no way of knowing how much does it weigh...since there isn't a ship like that in this world. So all I really know that it is heavy. sad

It's easier when they lift/do something to things from this world, or when they fly with speeds where some kind of timeframe has stated. That's why comics like Ultimate Universe's are cool. They state speeds/tonnage/name of the item 80% of time. yes

Old Post May 4th, 2006 02:03 PM
DarkCrawler is currently offline Click here to Send DarkCrawler a Private Message Find more posts by DarkCrawler Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor SKank
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: What reaaaallly makes your blood boil in comics?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarkCrawler

I'm sometimes pissed off when they don't always show the exact tonnage of things characters weight or the speeds they fly. That forces me to do extensive study of things and comparising the things in the world and in comics. Example:
The ship there has been described as floating city, so it obviously is big. But I have no way of knowing how much does it weigh...since there isn't a ship like that in this world. So all I really know that it is heavy. sad

It's easier when they lift/do something to things from this world, or when they fly with speeds where some kind of timeframe has stated. That's why comics like Ultimate Universe's are cool. They state speeds/tonnage/name of the item 80% of time. yes

Marvel is great a creating ambiguous feats of power and strength .... I reckon you got this idea from my comment about the midguard serpent ? smile

Old Post May 4th, 2006 02:07 PM
Doctor SKank is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor SKank a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor SKank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Ok the easiest thing to do is work with the size of it , hell all you need is an image of the entire island or some sort of scale to put it on . Then you can compare it to other objects until you have what you consider an accurate amount.

Old Post May 4th, 2006 02:11 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkCrawler
KABOOOOM!!

Re: Re: What reaaaallly makes your blood boil in comics?

Originally posted by Doctor SKank
Marvel is great a creating ambiguous feats of power and strength .... I reckon you got this idea from my comment about the midguard serpent ? smile

Had this problem for a long time, but yes. smile

Old Post May 4th, 2006 02:14 PM
DarkCrawler is currently offline Click here to Send DarkCrawler a Private Message Find more posts by DarkCrawler Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkCrawler
KABOOOOM!!

Originally posted by grey fox
Ok the easiest thing to do is work with the size of it , hell all you need is an image of the entire island or some sort of scale to put it on . Then you can compare it to other objects until you have what you consider an accurate amount.

Yeah. That's what I do sometimes.

Problem is that sometimes comics have the scales messed up too. big grin

Old Post May 4th, 2006 02:15 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Yes! That's why I recently developed a new strength-scale system to try and compensate. But as the good Doctor Skank pointed out in another thread, it still can not completely account for some of the gross inconsistencies.

And I do hate those inconsistencies.

I also do not like magic: plot device.

I also do not like when the following levels of power are thrown about willy-nilly, w/o giving any real thought to what these power levels actually entail...
1. Being able to take a nuke. As I illustrated in other threads, so much goddamn power is released in a megaton explosion, that Superman (eg) would need to absorb sunlight for 500,000 years to be able to counter that much energy with an equal amount of (aura) energy.
2. Flying or dodging at/near lightspeed. Jeez! There are so many things wrong with this, I don't even know where to begin.
And lastly, my "favorite"...
3. Moving planets. 'Nuff said.

The above should be saved for only the very, very top tier characters. Otherwise, if they become too familiar, they cease to amaze, they cease to do the very thing the feats are presented to do.

I'm also not all that crazy about some retcons, though I think retconning itself is a good idea (or at least, sometimes a necessary evil).

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post May 4th, 2006 03:02 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheKahn
The Dude abides

The ungodly resistance to blunt force trauma that human (or mutant) bodies seem to have.

Carl - "No, the real point is: I don't give a damn."

Carl - "This line, here? Line of Death. You cross it, and your freedoms no longer exist. Um-kay? Have a good day."

Old Post May 4th, 2006 03:03 PM
TheKahn is currently offline Click here to Send TheKahn a Private Message Find more posts by TheKahn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Healing Factors . Nuff said

Old Post May 4th, 2006 03:05 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Google is a godsend in this respect. If you type in the write words, you can find almost anything. And if not a ready-made answer, there are formulae for figuring out obscure facts.

Sometimes I can imagine how Mr. Spock must've felt everytime he used his Library computer on the Enterprise.

Old Post May 4th, 2006 03:27 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Spock : *Looking at a 8888 post* This is illogical , Wolverines healing factor cannot allow him to survive a full scale heat vision blast !

Old Post May 4th, 2006 03:30 PM
Thunderstrike
Restricted

Account Restricted

I hate it when the Healing Factor is an answer to everything. "Wolverine could survive longer underwater because of his healing factor." What the f*#@ is that?

I also hate it when overhyped characters get turned into overrated pieces of crap, like Superboy Prime.

My sigs. | Slade Explained| Respect Beta Ray |Respect Thor | Sheer idiocy

Old Post May 4th, 2006 04:11 PM
Thunderstrike is currently offline Click here to Send Thunderstrike a Private Message Find more posts by Thunderstrike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

The ship there has been described as floating city...

Cool pics, BTW. I really like that art style too.

With this particular example, maybe I can be of some help.
When the World Trade Towers collapsed, it was estimated that there was about 400 to 500 kilotons of rubble. Prior, the Towers were often described as cities unto themselves.

A really big, fully loaded supertanker weighs in at about 500 to 600 kilotons.

An aircraft carrier (which, also, has often been described as a "floating city") weighs in at a mere 80 kilotons.

Judging from the size of the screws in the pic, and from what we can see of the hull and keel, it is reasonable, I think, to assume that Doom's ship is comparable in size to a supertanker or skyscraper, maybe somewhat bigger if you wanna throw in a lil' awe factor. It is probably safe to assume, therefore (in the absence of other data), that Doom's ship probably weighs in at about 600 to 800 kilotons. Maybe 1000 kt, a nice round awe-inspiring number.

Old Post May 4th, 2006 04:13 PM
DarkCrawler
KABOOOOM!!

Re: Re: What reaaaallly makes your blood boil in comics?

Originally posted by Mindship
Cool pics, BTW. I really like that art style too.

With this particular example, maybe I can be of some help.
When the World Trade Towers collapsed, it was estimated that there was about 400 to 500 kilotons of rubble. Prior, the Towers were often described as cities unto themselves.

A really big, fully loaded supertanker weighs in at about 500 to 600 kilotons.

An aircraft carrier (which, also, has often been described as a "floating city") weighs in at a mere 80 kilotons.

Judging from the size of the screws in the pic, and from what we can see of the hull and keel, it is reasonable, I think, to assume that Doom's ship is comparable in size to a supertanker or skyscraper, maybe somewhat bigger if you wanna throw in a lil' awe factor. It is probably safe to assume, therefore (in the absence of other data), that Doom's ship probably weighs in at about 600 to 800 kilotons. Maybe 1000 kt, a nice round awe-inspiring number.

Thanks for the help. smile Pretty good estimate.

Old Post May 4th, 2006 05:04 PM
Tshern
Protein-man

Without healing factors we wouldn't have Deadpool.

Respect_Popeye

Old Post May 4th, 2006 05:31 PM
Tshern is currently offline Click here to Send Tshern a Private Message Find more posts by Tshern Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Priest

and sometime adimantium claws.

Old Post May 4th, 2006 05:33 PM
Priest is currently offline Click here to Send Priest a Private Message Find more posts by Priest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

Wolverine portrayed beating the Hulk, Namor, Thing, Spider-Man.............. It's a load of . I like Wolverine but I'm sick of him shown beating characters well out of his league.

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post May 4th, 2006 06:08 PM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soleran
Fast As Time

Originally posted by badabing
Wolverine portrayed beating the Hulk, Namor, Thing, Spider-Man.............. It's a load of . I like Wolverine but I'm sick of him shown beating characters well out of his league.

You guys are h8's stick out tongue

Old Post May 4th, 2006 06:19 PM
Soleran is currently offline Click here to Send Soleran a Private Message Find more posts by Soleran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ra˙ne
Dark Queen

I get tired of Galactus not destroying the earth. stick out tongue

Old Post May 4th, 2006 06:32 PM
Ra˙ne is currently offline Click here to Send Ra˙ne a Private Message Find more posts by Ra˙ne Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HaSon

Jobber Auras

Old Post May 4th, 2006 06:37 PM
HaSon is currently offline Click here to Send HaSon a Private Message Find more posts by HaSon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Laminator_X
Once & Future KMC Hawkeye

Unexplained personality transplants.

Same goes for personality transplants explainable only by rediculous plot devices. (e.g. Psylocke)

...You are Number Six. Respect Popeye

Old Post May 4th, 2006 06:52 PM
Laminator_X is currently offline Click here to Send Laminator_X a Private Message Find more posts by Laminator_X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote