KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Alive .... ?

Are they alive?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Artificial characters are alive 5 29.41%
Artificial characters are not alive 2 11.76%
Some are, some aren't 10 58.82%
Total: 17 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Alive .... ?
Started by: Scoobless

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Scoobless
sselboocS

Alive .... ?

(please log in to view the image)

In comics, are these and various other synthetic beings alive?

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Jan 9th, 2007 09:19 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marvelprince
Illuminati Founder

I say no. AI does not equal life imo (though I reserve the right to change my mind)

Sig by The Pittman

Old Post Jan 9th, 2007 09:22 PM
marvelprince is currently offline Click here to Send marvelprince a Private Message Find more posts by marvelprince Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

If they have sentience and sapience, sure why not. Ego's a living planet. Mercury of the New X-Men is made of inorganic (unlike the organic metal of Colossus) mercury, how that works I have no idea.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2007 09:28 PM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

quote: (post)
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
If they have sentience and sapience, sure why not. Ego's a living planet. Mercury of the New X-Men is made of inorganic (unlike the organic metal of Colossus) mercury, how that works I have no idea.

I think Mercury's could be considered like Iceman. Her mind just occupies a stockpile of mercury.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2007 09:36 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TricksterPriest
Renegade Timelord

Ultron, yes. Eradicator, sorta. Vision, used to be, but not anymore. In Vision's case, it was losing the brain patterns of Wonder Man. I think he's working his way back up. Ultron, for all his hatred of organics, exibits more than enough qualities to be called sentient, but what defines life? Eradicator is a grey area, given his multiple personalities. I'd lean towards yes. Iron Man's sentient armor could be called alive. Same with the phalanx and Apocalypse's ship.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2007 09:39 PM
TricksterPriest is currently offline Click here to Send TricksterPriest a Private Message Find more posts by TricksterPriest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

So Vision was alive (before Disassembled) but Eradicator isn't?

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Jan 9th, 2007 10:22 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

Originally posted by marvelprince
I say no. AI does not equal life imo

Why not?

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Jan 9th, 2007 10:22 PM
TricksterPriest
Renegade Timelord

I'd say yes on vision, but Eradicator is dicey. I'm leaning towards yes, but it's hard to tell with him.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2007 10:38 PM
TricksterPriest is currently offline Click here to Send TricksterPriest a Private Message Find more posts by TricksterPriest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

We make the mistake of assuming that humans aren't simply insanely complex machines. The emotions, feelings, and responses that supposedly seperate us from machines can literally be equated to little more than electrical synapses firing in our brains.

The material they're made out of is, excuse the pun, immaterial.

So "yes" would be my answer.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2007 11:00 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor S.T.D.
Babes, why wont it go in?

Originally posted by DigiMark007
We make the mistake of assuming that humans aren't simply insanely complex machines. The emotions, feelings, and responses that supposedly seperate us from machines can literally be equated to little more than electrical synapses firing in our brains.

A lot of people would disagree with you there. The Biological definition of consciousness only works in a deterministic universe and doesn't allow for the presence of Free will. In other words you have never made a free choice in you're entire life, and nor has anyone else. Do you honestly believe that Digi ? By suggesting that, you remove the concept of morality, and consequently the ideals of Good and evil, i.e. they are just delusional interpretations of chance and probability. Also established meta physical concepts such as the Spectre, Presence and the soul gems, have to be ignored.

'The only sock around here is on my 'japseye'. - Yahman

Old Post Jan 9th, 2007 11:12 PM
Doctor S.T.D. is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor S.T.D. a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor S.T.D. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lucid Lui
Air Laki Laki

Nicely put, and i agree.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Verily.
| www.lucidlui.com | Aquaman Respect Thread |

Old Post Jan 9th, 2007 11:15 PM
Lucid Lui is currently offline Click here to Send Lucid Lui a Private Message Find more posts by Lucid Lui Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Doctor S.T.D.
A lot of people would disagree with you there. The Biological definition of consciousness only works in a deterministic universe and doesn't allow for the presence of Free will. In other words you have never made a free choice in you're entire life, and nor has anyone else. Do you honestly believe that Digi ? By suggesting that, you remove the concept of morality, and consequently the ideals of Good and evil, i.e. they are just delusional interpretations of chance and probability. Also established meta physical concepts such as the Spectre, Presence and the soul gems, have to be ignored.

Actually, yes. That sounds about right. At least as far as real-life goes...I realize that certain origins, powers, and/or characters may utterly fall apart in comics if such suggestions were accepted, and the characters and stories were written as such.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2007 11:20 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

Originally posted by Doctor S.T.D.
The Biological definition of consciousness only works in a deterministic universe and doesn't allow for the presence of Free will.

Why not?

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Jan 9th, 2007 11:22 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Scoobless
Why not?

Because if we're nothing more than complex machines, everything we do is entirely deterministic. Each action, word, thought, response, etc. that we make is the direct effect of the causes that preceded it, and nothing more.

It removes any idea of free will and choice that is so prevalent is much of Western society, largely due to religious influence on the subject.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2007 11:26 PM
Scoobless
sselboocS

We are biological machines but our actions are not determined by preceding events in our lives ... however they are strongly influenced by them.

Just because people are machines does not mean they can't make choices.

The concept of "machine" that you are using is far too primitive.

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Jan 9th, 2007 11:30 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Scoobless
We are biological machines but our actions are not determined by preceding events in our lives ... however they are strongly influenced by them.

Just because people are machines does not mean they can't make choices.

The concept of "machine" that you are using is far too primitive.

No, the conept of choice you're using is too vague.

How do you arrive at any choice? Chocolate instead of vanilla, for instance. The causes that preceded it, however random and arbitrary they may seem, force that outcome. If you choose, say, chocolate, the universe would not allow for any other choice other than "chocolate" given the circumstances that preceded the choice....simply because that's the one that happened.

Saying something like "well, I could've chosen vanilla" is false, because if you had chosen vanilla, the causes that preceded it would have allowed for the choice, and we would exist in a differently ordered universe. Thus, "chocolate" affects everything in the universe that follows it, just as everything that that preceded it caused "chocolate" in the first place.

In such a system of thought, choice itself is an illusion. Concepts of choice and free will are themselves determined by causes, and not exempt from determinism.

The choices are already made....or at least they are inevitable. We just don't know what they'll be, thus our continued excitement in life.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2007 12:39 AM
Entity
Illuminati Founder

No, the conept of choice you're using is too vague.

How do you arrive at any choice? Chocolate instead of vanilla, for instance. The causes that preceded it, however random and arbitrary they may seem, force that outcome. If you choose, say, chocolate, the universe would not allow for any other choice other than "chocolate" given the circumstances that preceded the choice....simply because that's the one that happened.

Saying something like "well, I could've chosen vanilla" is false, because if you had chosen vanilla, the causes that preceded it would have allowed for the choice, and we would exist in a differently ordered universe. Thus, "chocolate" affects everything in the universe that follows it, just as everything that that preceded it caused "chocolate" in the first place.

In such a system of thought, choice itself is an illusion. Concepts of choice and free will are themselves determined by causes, and not exempt from determinism.

The choices are already made....or at least they are inevitable. We just don't know what they'll be, thus our continued excitement in life.

Basically Chaos Theory, "Everything effects everything else and everything that happens was always going to happen because all the events were always going to have the same effect on one another, leading to the same outcome"

Something like that?

None of them sparkle!
Sig by Scythe!

Old Post Jan 10th, 2007 12:50 AM
Entity is currently offline Click here to Send Entity a Private Message Find more posts by Entity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Entity
Basically Chaos Theory, "Everything effects everything else and everything that happens was always going to happen because all the events were always going to have the same effect on one another, leading to the same outcome"

Something like that?

Sure. I'd call it a Unified Field Theory, but it sounds like you're referring to the same thing, or at least a similar concept.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2007 12:57 AM
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Originally posted by Entity

Something like that?

So basically when I say that I will win the tournament and when I do it was always going to happen that way anyways and none of the contestants have a say in the matter shifty

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Jan 10th, 2007 01:05 AM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Entity
Illuminati Founder

Sure. I'd call it a Unified Field Theory, but it sounds like you're referring to the same thing, or at least a similar concept.

Yea, I'm not exactly sure how to put it into words (because I am not always great at expressing my exact thoughts in writing) but, I think between what you and I said that should about sum it up enough for others to get what we're saying.

None of them sparkle!
Sig by Scythe!

Old Post Jan 10th, 2007 01:07 AM
Entity is currently offline Click here to Send Entity a Private Message Find more posts by Entity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote