KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Discussion on fourth - wall breaking

Discussion on fourth - wall breaking
Started by: Endless Mike

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Discussion on fourth - wall breaking

Many times in a debate people will say one character is stronger because they broke the fourth wall, and met/talked to/represented/beat up the authors.

However if you ask me this means nothing, as they're not really beating up the authors, just a fictional representation of the authors, and that representation is itself created and written by the real authors.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2007 06:51 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Kind of a point I was making in another thread.
Also that "power of the writers so he's stronger" stuff is bullshit too.

I am God's mighty fist. I am God's strength made manifest.

Sig by: Skeets, S.S, thesilverspider, Sir SKEETS Alot

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2007 06:59 PM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

I agree, with that kind of argument you can say Deadpool beats cosmic beings because he's a fourth - wall breaker

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2007 07:09 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TricksterPriest
Renegade Timelord

It doesn't really mean shit in a fight unless they have some kind of knowledge that only a reader of the comic would. Like for example, that Daredevil's radar sense can easily be beaten by sonics. Something that's common knowledge to us, but not as well known in the comic itself. Although......if DP knows he's a comic book character, shouldn't he know shit like that? messed It boggles the mind. He does beat Cosmic beings in one thing, he's funnier and a better character than most of them. laughing

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2007 07:28 PM
TricksterPriest is currently offline Click here to Send TricksterPriest a Private Message Find more posts by TricksterPriest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Rock
Restricted

Account Restricted

By that, TOAA and Presence are the upperlimits of a fictional characterwink

Rocks are like logs.
They are simply not very interesting.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2007 08:39 PM
Lord Rock is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Rock a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Rock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Although......if DP knows he's a comic book character, shouldn't he know shit like that? messed It boggles the mind. He does beat Cosmic beings in one thing, he's funnier and a better character than most of them. laughing

yes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:...YellowBoxes.jpg

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2007 10:33 PM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TricksterPriest
Renegade Timelord

Ding. Hence, shouldn't DP know shit like Cap and Stark's real identities? After all, he knew Spidey was played by Tobey Maguire. stick out tongue

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2007 11:03 PM
TricksterPriest is currently offline Click here to Send TricksterPriest a Private Message Find more posts by TricksterPriest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

In the recap page of Cable and Deadpool's series he makes continual references to breaking the 4th wall related comic stuff but not in the main content of the issue so much erm

Old Post Mar 4th, 2007 01:18 AM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shksprtx
Cosmic Redneck

But is 4th-wall breaking an actual power, or just a quirky narrative device?

I'm personally inclined to go with quirky narrative device. Sure, there are characters for whom 4th-wall breaking is a regular and consistent happening, but there are other instances in which a character will have an isolated episode of it (off the top of my head, that happens to Manikin in Alpha Flight #66, vol. 1, though it may have been a manipulation by the Dreamqueen).

On the other hand, for characters like She-Hulk and Deadpool who have routinely broken the 4th-wall over a long period of time, it seems perfectly reasonable to assume that this ability is part of their powerset and should be allowed in debates.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2007 08:58 PM
shksprtx is currently offline Click here to Send shksprtx a Private Message Find more posts by shksprtx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blight
Less than Newbie

Ambush Bug Rocks!

-_-

Old Post Jul 7th, 2007 09:34 PM
Blight is currently offline Click here to Send Blight a Private Message Find more posts by Blight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote