KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Has 9/11 affected comics content?

Has the events of 9/11 affected comics?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes 7 77.78%
No 2 22.22%
Total: 9 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Has 9/11 affected comics content?
Started by: roughrider

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
roughrider
Thunderer

Has 9/11 affected comics content?

I don't mean from a government side. I mean, has anyone noticed writers & artists being very heavy on 'consequences', so to speak.

Battles and casualties that would have been brushed over ten years ago - they linger around now.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Apr 11th, 2007 07:07 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

Interesting. Are you talking along the lines of collateral damage?

Old Post Apr 11th, 2007 07:26 PM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TricksterPriest
Renegade Timelord

He's got a point. Although, Marvel as usual, is being heavy handed about it. DC did an interesting storyline on this. They setup a reserve squad of the justice league and made it seem as though Faith's power went out of control and killed a bunch of people. When in reality, the whole thing was an illusion. And the people were just trapped underground.

Whereas, Marvel has Nitro blow up a bus, and everything went to hell aka Civil War. stick out tongue

Old Post Apr 11th, 2007 07:48 PM
TricksterPriest is currently offline Click here to Send TricksterPriest a Private Message Find more posts by TricksterPriest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

When I went to the Marvel Superheroes Science Exhibit, I saw some blown-up art from all the eras. They included the black-cover Spider Man issue from 2001, dealing with the World Trade Center Attack. Seeing villains like Doctor Doom shedding a tear at the damage, working with the likes of Kingpin and Doctor Octopus to help the victims...
It makes me think, even years later, how this sticks in the minds of all these writers & artists who are mostly New York-based.

The conclusion of IC and the beginning of 52, Black Adam confronts Power Girl with the exact number of people who died in the last crisis, down to the last person. This to enforce his view that heroes need to go to greater lengths to keep the world in order.
The decision to exile the Hulk from Earth by the Illuminati - Brian Michael Bendis would retcon the idea that the Hulk has never inadventantly killed someone in his rampaging days. To avoid the potential of further death, Hulk is sent away.
Look at the collateral damage that sparks the beginning of CIVIL WAR. Even the mutant community in the 1980's didn't go through this kind of hand-wringing & fighting over mutant registration. Because death seemed less real then, and not in America?
There are other examples out there, in the last five years.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2007 09:19 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I think its just a more modern theme... i mean, even in movies for years, collateral damage was never an issue, but now i think comics have to be more realistic when it comes to the worlds their heroes in habit...

i think its been a bit too long since 9/11 for it to have too much of an influence on comics to be honest...

i think the likes of civil war is just an extreme case of the consequences of heroes actions...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Apr 11th, 2007 09:35 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Here's a scene from about twenty-five years ago. NO ONE would dare do this now. eek!

Attachment: wwtwintowers.jpg
This has been downloaded 146 time(s).

Old Post Apr 11th, 2007 09:46 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by roughrider
Here's a scene from about twenty-five years ago. NO ONE would dare do this now. eek!

laughing, sorry, and people wonder why she doesnt use the invisible plane anymore...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 11th, 2007 09:59 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
guy222
With my gal

Re: Has 9/11 affected comics content?

I don't mean from a government side. I mean, has anyone noticed writers & artists being very heavy on 'consequences', so to speak.

Battles and casualties that would have been brushed over ten years ago - they linger around now.

Yes. 9/11 has altered a lot

thank u bz

Old Post Apr 11th, 2007 10:03 PM
guy222 is currently offline Click here to Send guy222 a Private Message Find more posts by guy222 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HaSon

Typical Blunder Woman roll eyes (sarcastic)
Originally posted by pr1983
laughing, sorry, and people wonder why she doesnt use the invisible plane anymore...

Infinite Crisis #7 says hi. stick out tongue

Old Post Apr 11th, 2007 10:14 PM
HaSon is currently offline Click here to Send HaSon a Private Message Find more posts by HaSon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Validus
Typical Blunder Woman roll eyes (sarcastic)

Infinite Crisis #7 says hi. stick out tongue

f*ck... btw, what is that in your sig?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 11th, 2007 10:19 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

i think its been a bit too long since 9/11 for it to have too much of an influence on comics to be honest...

It may be 5 1/2 years since 9/11, but Americans are reminded of it every night they turn on their TVs, and see the quagmire that is Iraq.

No 9/11 attack, no invasion happens like it did.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2007 12:25 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

It may be 5 1/2 years since 9/11, but Americans are reminded of it every night they turn on their TVs, and see the quagmire that is Iraq.

No 9/11 attack, no invasion happens like it did.

but thats something completely different now, i dont think people equate iraq with 9/11, and considering the fact that alot of writers and artists nowadays aren't american... for instance mark millar, writer of civil war isnt american... no offense, and i do genuinely mean this, but to alot of people outside america (or arent american), 9/11 just doesnt have that much of an impact on our lives anymore, and it hasnt for a while...

i just dont think it makes that big of a difference to comic writers anymore... iraq being the shambles that it is (imo), i think comic writers are just more interested in making their worlds seem more real, sure they do reference iraq, but stuff like civil war, to me, doesnt have alot to do with the consequences of 9/11, i think its more to do with the fact that nowadays, ugh im going round in a circle... i'll just shut up now... i think i got my point across though...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 12th, 2007 12:46 AM
HaSon

f*ck... btw, what is that in your sig?

Kyle Rayner? stick out tongue

Old Post Apr 12th, 2007 12:48 AM
HaSon is currently offline Click here to Send HaSon a Private Message Find more posts by HaSon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Kyle Rayner? stick out tongue

no expression

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 12th, 2007 12:50 AM
HaSon

no expression

It's from The Call of Cthulhu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Call_of_Cthulhu

Old Post Apr 12th, 2007 12:52 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

It's from The Call of Cthulhu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Call_of_Cthulhu

ah, lovecraft, got it...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 12th, 2007 01:02 AM
Mr.Biscuits

Sexcraft is better..imo..

Old Post Apr 12th, 2007 01:05 AM
Mr.Biscuits is currently offline Click here to Send Mr.Biscuits a Private Message Find more posts by Mr.Biscuits Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TricksterPriest
Renegade Timelord

Is that a La Blue Girl reference?

Old Post Apr 12th, 2007 01:12 AM
TricksterPriest is currently offline Click here to Send TricksterPriest a Private Message Find more posts by TricksterPriest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr.Biscuits

Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Is that a La Blue Girl reference?

Come again?

Old Post Apr 12th, 2007 01:25 AM
Mr.Biscuits is currently offline Click here to Send Mr.Biscuits a Private Message Find more posts by Mr.Biscuits Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HaSon

Originally posted by Skeets
Come again?

You don't want to know. sick

Old Post Apr 12th, 2007 01:26 AM