KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Too many Kryptonians?

Too many Kryptonians?
Started by: Avlon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Avlon
Godot Brew#107

Too many Kryptonians?

The latest arcs of Superman comics have brought more and more kryptonians into the mix. From Zod and his crew, to the other phantom zone kryptonians, Supergirl, 3rd Kryptonian, Chris Kent, and now the possibility of Kandor.

One thing about the John Byrne's reboot was that Superman was the last kryptonian and most "other" kryptonians were either from different realities, or retconned in some ways. Now we have survivors scouring the cosmos.

So are the multiple kryptonians (and growing)... good or bad? Does it take away from Supermans uniqueness having multiples of his race running around?

Discuss.

Humans are afraid of the dark.
And yet… At the same time, we’re fascinated and bewitched by it.
Maybe that’s why humans drink the darkness that is coffee.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 04:36 PM
Avlon is currently offline Click here to Send Avlon a Private Message Find more posts by Avlon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Yes , the only Kryptonians I think have proved a positive addition is Chris Kent and KC Superman.

Kandor should be left in it's bottle.

Super-twig is a useless waste of space, might as well rename her Fanservice girl and leave it at that.

Zod is the subject of several horrible retcons, they should of just left it as the Ruler of Polokistan , he was (IMO) the only GOOD zod ever written.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 04:42 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

No, I'll counter this argument by saying that there aren't enough Kryptonians suvivors. We need to have more. With the current 52 framework in the DCU. It makes sense to see more and more Kryptonians appearing and popping out in places.

This is no way harms the mythology origin of Superman. Take these events as more detail background on history of Krypton.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 04:52 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kutulu
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
No, I'll counter this argument by saying that there aren't enough Kryptonians suvivors. We need to have more. With the current 52 framework in the DCU. It makes sense to see more and more Kryptonians appearing and popping out in places.

This is no way harms the mythology origin of Superman. Take these events as more detail background on history of Krypton.

So if all 52 realities have multiple Kryptonians running amok.. you could form an army of Supermen / women / dogs / cats / etc..

Oooh that's a neat idea, imagine a Kryptonian cat - it would have to have an adamantium scratching post.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 04:57 PM
Kutulu is currently offline Click here to Send Kutulu a Private Message Find more posts by Kutulu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Something similar to what you mention is already happening with Monarch. He's recruiting members from different universes. Including a Nazi Superman.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 05:02 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

I'll accept Alternate Earth Supermen , just no more Kryptonians on New Earth . Hell they can even pop-up now and then , just as long as they get back to their original Earth.

I'd also like to see world without Superman , and no 'The Nail' doesn't count. Superman still existed. I want a damn planet with NO Supes , Kal died with Krypton.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 05:06 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Something similar to what you mention is already happening with Monarch. He's recruiting members from different universes. Including a Nazi Superman.

Commie

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 05:07 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

It's hard to say. On the one hand, it makes sense that there should be more survivors of Krypton - more people than Jor-El having the foresight to evacuate rather than deny the reality that was coming. Yet, having so many people or beings with the same power set as Superman threatens his unique status. By comparison, the Marvel family was never bigger than a half dozen; how many kryptonians can be allowed?

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 05:09 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rorschach

I want to see Prime rip Nazi Superman in half while going on about how he (Prime) is the only person who deserves to be called Superman. evil face

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 05:10 PM
Rorschach is currently offline Click here to Send Rorschach a Private Message Find more posts by Rorschach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Originally posted by Rorschach
I want to see Prime rip Nazi Superman in half while going on about how he (Prime) is the only person who deserves to be called Superman. evil face

He isn't a Nazi.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 05:11 PM
Rorschach

Originally posted by grey fox
He isn't a Nazi.

I'm talking about the Superman that Forerunner fought, not the Superman from Red Son. That guy was cool.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 05:12 PM
Rorschach is currently offline Click here to Send Rorschach a Private Message Find more posts by Rorschach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Nazi Superman? Are people talking about Superman: Red Son? He's a Communist, not a Nazi. And not that bad a guy, either.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 05:15 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rorschach

I'm talking about this guy.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 05:18 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I'll accept Alternate Earth Supermen , just no more Kryptonians on New Earth . Hell they can even pop-up now and then , just as long as they get back to their original Earth.

I'd also like to see world without Superman , and no 'The Nail' doesn't count. Superman still existed. I want a damn planet with NO Supes , Kal died with Krypton.

They have to be in New Earth. That's where the Final Crisis is going to happen. If Anti-Monitor and the Sinestro Corps have already arrive so should everyone else. That's going to be the gunfight at the O.K. Corral.

Commie

No, read Countdown to Adventure #2. Monarch and Forerunner visit an Earth control by Nazi Superheros and recruit them.

He isn't a Nazi.

See above.

Last edited by WanderingDroid on Nov 7th, 2007 at 05:24 PM

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 05:21 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Rorschach
I'm talking about this guy.

Ah - Alright.
Weird to see a Blond Superman. But, that whole crew looks pretty hardcore.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 05:27 PM
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

They have to be in New Earth. That's where the Final Crisis is going to happen. If Anti-Monitor and the Sinestro Corps have already arrive so should everyone else. That's going to be the gunfight at the O.K. Corral.

No, read Countdown to Adventure #2. Monarch and Forerunner visit an Earth control by Nazi Superheros and recruit them.

See above.

Just looked...intresting. I assumed the only Nazi Superman was the short Story 'Ubermensch'

Nazi Hawkgirl looks a hell of a lot better then Kendra....

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 05:29 PM
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

I hear there was A Nazi Batman on the cover, any images ?

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 05:30 PM
Rorschach

I hear there was A Nazi Batman on the cover, any images ?

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 05:38 PM
CyborgHolliday
Vagrant

Yes , the only Kryptonians I think have proved a positive addition is Chris Kent and KC Superman.

Kandor should be left in it's bottle.

Super-twig is a useless waste of space, might as well rename her Fanservice girl and leave it at that.

Zod is the subject of several horrible retcons, they should of just left it as the Ruler of Polokistan , he was (IMO) the only GOOD zod ever written.

cosigned, Superman, and maybe Supergirl, whould be the only survivor(s) of Krypton, it steals from great stories of being "the only survivor" and somewhat steals any possible realism superman could ever possibly have...

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 08:44 PM
CyborgHolliday is currently offline Click here to Send CyborgHolliday a Private Message Find more posts by CyborgHolliday Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Originally posted by Capt Spaulding
cosigned, Superman, and maybe Supergirl, whould be the only survivor(s) of Krypton, it steals from great stories of being "the only survivor" and somewhat steals any possible realism superman could ever possibly have...

Be realistic Spaulding, wtf has Supergirl brought to the DCU ? Nothing but crappy fan-service and problems.

Chris Kent however COULD work , if you play it off of the whole 'Child with the power of a god' angle. Show him interacting with ordinary children , accidentally harming them ect.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 08:57 PM