KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » What is your favorite era(or decade) of comics?

What is your favorite era(or decade) of comics?
Started by: Starscream M

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Starscream M

What is your favorite era(or decade) of comics?

And why?

Defacto Leader of the KMC VS Resistance Movement

Old Post May 11th, 2008 05:45 AM
Starscream M is currently offline Click here to Send Starscream M a Private Message Find more posts by Starscream M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

90's

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post May 11th, 2008 06:18 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starscream M

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
90's
me too...any reason in particular?

I liked it because it was when there were actually comic shops near my school, and there were good comic cartoons on tv (fantastic 4, iron man, xmen, spiderman, batman)

also, it was a time when comics had more innocence? plots were simpler and characters were more iconic in some ways

today, comics are becoming more realistic and complex, which some like and some don't

Old Post May 11th, 2008 06:21 AM
Starscream M is currently offline Click here to Send Starscream M a Private Message Find more posts by Starscream M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

80's?

'Cause writers just didn't give a shit what they put in comics.
David Hasselhoff in a Queen suit? He's bigger than LT.

Old Post May 11th, 2008 06:28 AM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Starscream M
me too...any reason in particular?
Many reasons, really. Mainly because it seems like the best arcs [or at least the ones I enjoy most], were published in the 90's.
today, comics are becoming more realistic and complex, which some like and some don't
Writers are just trying to market to a broader spectrum of people, by putting a more sophisticated feel on comics nowadays.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post May 11th, 2008 06:34 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

90s

Don't really know why but most of my favorite arcs seem to come from around that time.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post May 11th, 2008 02:30 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Vicious

90's for me too. Thats when I really got into comics. Then X-men cartoon came out and at the time it was the shit. Also Image was born in the 90's and a lot of their early stuff was really good.

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post May 11th, 2008 02:51 PM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kris Blaze
Restricted

Account Restricted

90s

X-men.

I give you the only thing an Orange Lantern gives....Demands

Old Post May 11th, 2008 03:25 PM
Kris Blaze is currently offline Click here to Send Kris Blaze a Private Message Find more posts by Kris Blaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

784 B.C was a good year....

Old Post May 11th, 2008 03:51 PM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ExodusCloak

Eww...90's...I'm going to go with Late 80's Early 90's (Anything in the Mid/Late 90's was just unnecessary especially X-Men thus I blocked it out)...can't say I'm not enjoying the 00's though.

Old Post May 11th, 2008 04:45 PM
ExodusCloak is currently offline Click here to Send ExodusCloak a Private Message Find more posts by ExodusCloak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

The decade that produced this story line was pretty awesome in retrospect.

Anyway two masked men from the future convince both Batman and the UN that Superman is responsible for a slew of crimes in the future. The future men claim that Superman will eventually get into contact with a weird form of red kryptonite that will turn him evil(Kind of like what happens to him in Superman 3). We are then shown a montage of panels which shows various superdickery like Supes shinking a ship,burning a library,destroying the Taj Mahal,and wrecking statues of Jimmy Olsen and Perry White.

But his ultimate crime is when he builds a big Superman shaped satellite and sends it to the year 4069 which shoots out a ray that changes the people affected by it into primitive beings. To prove this the futuremen take off their masks to reveal that they have the faces of apes(Cue dramatic music). Superman then travels to the future to see if they were lying and apparently they weren't because he sees the Superman satellite turning people into apes.

When Superman returns from the future the UN finds him guilty but when the verdict is being made the balcony to the building was about to collapse and about to crush the chairman. Supes saves him despite his guilty verdict. After that the futuremen,the UN members,and our heroes take a lunch break(This scene is acutally vital to plot). We then find Superman's punishment for his future crime is to get a lobotomy but when it is about to begin he freaks out saying "TAMPER WITH MY BRAIN WILL YOU? YYYAAARRRR". Or so it seems that he freaked out.

It is then revealed that the future men's ape faces are also masks and that they are really Lex Luthor and Brainiac trying to frame Superman. How did Superman find out that they were fakes? Well during the lunch scene(See I told you that scene was vital to the plot)the futuremen claim that they only eat capsules as their food yet one of them is seen eating a steak while sprinkling salt and pepper as if he knew what they were. The whole scene with the Superman satellite was also a fake because it is proven that Lex and Brainiac went to a future movie studio to make it look like a Superman satellite is turning everyone into apes. Finally at the end of the issue Superman and Batman are awarded with their own UN flags to shown with the other nation's flags.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post May 11th, 2008 04:47 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grinning Goku

Very late 80's and the 90's.

Don't remember too much of the late 80's stuff. I would have only been 4 or 5 at the time. Anyways, I loved the X-Men, Superman, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Iron Man, The Fantastic Four, Batman and the Hulk. Didn't care for Ghost Rider, Doctor Strange, Captain America, The Avengers, Thor and some others.

PSN handle: B_B_Kang

Last edited by Grinning Goku on May 11th, 2008 at 05:23 PM

Old Post May 11th, 2008 05:20 PM
Grinning Goku is currently offline Click here to Send Grinning Goku a Private Message Find more posts by Grinning Goku Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ExodusCloak

Originally posted by Grinning Goku
Very late 80's and the 90's.

Don't remember too much of the late 80's stuff. I would have only been 4 or 5 at the time. Anyways, I loved the X-Men, Superman, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Iron Man, The Fantastic Four, Batman and the Hulk. Didn't care for Ghost Rider, Doctor Strange, Captain America, The Avengers, Thor and some others.

Me neither, but I went back and read some of the 80's and 90's stuff. Adam X is the personification as to why the 90's(In Mainstream X-Men titles anyway) was just so ...unnecessary. Also the art in some of those issues were again unnecessary.(Having 7 pockets and two belts is ridiculous)
Also it was the birth of Gambit and time-travelling heaven (Cough*) Bishop and Cable (Cough*)

Last edited by ExodusCloak on May 11th, 2008 at 06:10 PM

Old Post May 11th, 2008 06:04 PM
ExodusCloak is currently offline Click here to Send ExodusCloak a Private Message Find more posts by ExodusCloak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

The 90s were the golden age of hacks in comics.

Old Post May 11th, 2008 07:43 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starscream M

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
The 90s were the golden age of hacks in comics.
not really, some of the most entertaining arcs (maximum carnage, knightfall, death of superman, and onslaught) all happened in the 90s

Old Post May 11th, 2008 08:19 PM
Kris Blaze
Restricted

Account Restricted

Maximum carnage was shit, I hated it.

I give you the only thing an Orange Lantern gives....Demands

Old Post May 11th, 2008 08:21 PM
Kris Blaze is currently offline Click here to Send Kris Blaze a Private Message Find more posts by Kris Blaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blight
Less than Newbie

Although I'm not a huge fan of the big guns big abs big pecs section of the 90's era. But I grew up with it and I think a lot of inspiring things came out of it.

-_-

Old Post May 11th, 2008 08:23 PM
Blight is currently offline Click here to Send Blight a Private Message Find more posts by Blight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ExodusCloak

not really, some of the most entertaining arcs (maximum carnage, knightfall, death of superman, and onslaught) all happened in the 90s

Onslaught was pretty much crap on a stick. erm

Originally posted by Blight
big guns big abs big pecs section

I was waiting for someone to shout..."X-TREEEEEEME!!!!" you came closest to it. Congrats.

Last edited by ExodusCloak on May 11th, 2008 at 08:31 PM

Old Post May 11th, 2008 08:29 PM
Starscream M

Originally posted by ExodusCloak
Onslaught was pretty much crap on a stick. erm

I was waiting for someone to shout..."X-TREEEEEEME!!!!" you came closest to it. Congrats.
the ending was crap, but I enjoyed it otherwise

Old Post May 11th, 2008 08:31 PM
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
The decade that produced this story line was pretty awesome in retrospect.

Anyway two masked men from the future convince both Batman and the UN that Superman is responsible for a slew of crimes in the future. The future men claim that Superman will eventually get into contact with a weird form of red kryptonite that will turn him evil(Kind of like what happens to him in Superman 3). We are then shown a montage of panels which shows various superdickery like Supes shinking a ship,burning a library,destroying the Taj Mahal,and wrecking statues of Jimmy Olsen and Perry White.

But his ultimate crime is when he builds a big Superman shaped satellite and sends it to the year 4069 which shoots out a ray that changes the people affected by it into primitive beings. To prove this the futuremen take off their masks to reveal that they have the faces of apes(Cue dramatic music). Superman then travels to the future to see if they were lying and apparently they weren't because he sees the Superman satellite turning people into apes.

When Superman returns from the future the UN finds him guilty but when the verdict is being made the balcony to the building was about to collapse and about to crush the chairman. Supes saves him despite his guilty verdict. After that the futuremen,the UN members,and our heroes take a lunch break(This scene is acutally vital to plot). We then find Superman's punishment for his future crime is to get a lobotomy but when it is about to begin he freaks out saying "TAMPER WITH MY BRAIN WILL YOU? YYYAAARRRR". Or so it seems that he freaked out.

It is then revealed that the future men's ape faces are also masks and that they are really Lex Luthor and Brainiac trying to frame Superman. How did Superman find out that they were fakes? Well during the lunch scene(See I told you that scene was vital to the plot)the futuremen claim that they only eat capsules as their food yet one of them is seen eating a steak while sprinkling salt and pepper as if he knew what they were. The whole scene with the Superman satellite was also a fake because it is proven that Lex and Brainiac went to a future movie studio to make it look like a Superman satellite is turning everyone into apes. Finally at the end of the issue Superman and Batman are awarded with their own UN flags to shown with the other nation's flags.

Old Post May 11th, 2008 09:18 PM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote