KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Alex Alonso - Marvels new EiC

Alex Alonso - Marvels new EiC
Started by: srankmissingnin

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Alex Alonso - Marvels new EiC

Big News! New decade, and new Editor in Chief at Marvel! Alex Alonso replaces Quesada (who was promoted a month or so ago) as Marvel EiC.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?...le&id=30169

What do you guys think? Worried? Hopeful? I haven't been thrilled with the handling of the X-Men line under Alonso, and dispite some trash (OMD for example) Marvel under Quesade was the best it has been since the early - mid 80s.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Last edited by srankmissingnin on Jan 4th, 2011 at 09:24 PM

Old Post Jan 4th, 2011 09:22 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bouboumaster

**** Quesada

Old Post Jan 4th, 2011 11:00 PM
Bouboumaster is currently offline Click here to Send Bouboumaster a Private Message Find more posts by Bouboumaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
**** Quesada

Clearly somebody forgets the 90s and Marvel under Harras.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Jan 4th, 2011 11:40 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Black bolt z
Mindsets Master

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Clearly somebody forgets the 90s and Marvel under Harras.
thumb up

Starting around 2000 marvel started sucking.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2011 12:03 AM
Black bolt z is currently offline Click here to Send Black bolt z a Private Message Find more posts by Black bolt z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by Black bolt z
thumb up

Starting around 2000 marvel started sucking.

The 2000s was when Marvel stopped sucking... The only good thing out of Marvel in the 90s was Mark Waid's Cap run and Joe Kelly on Deadpool. Marvel under Quesada has had more critically acclaimed and seminal runs then anything that isn't called Vertigo.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2011 12:13 AM
Black bolt z
Mindsets Master

The 2000s was when Marvel stopped sucking...

Old Post Jan 5th, 2011 12:18 AM
Black bolt z is currently offline Click here to Send Black bolt z a Private Message Find more posts by Black bolt z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by Black bolt z

Miller on Ultimates, Ultimate X-Men and Kickass. Bendis on Daredevil, Alias, Powers and Ultimate Spider-man. BKV on Runaways. Fraction on Iron Man, and Iron Fist. Brubaker on Criminal, Captain America, Iron Fist and DD. Wheadon on Astonishing X-Men. Fraction on Iron-man. Araaon on Wolverine and Ghost Rider. Hickman on Fantastic Four, SHIELD and Secrete Warriors. Morrison on X-Men and Marvel Boy. Abnett and Lanning on GoG and Nova. Ellis on Next Wave and Iron Man. That is just off the top of my head, I'm sure I could think of more if I sat down and seriously tried to make a list.

If you think Marvel sucked in the 2000s you are an idiot. Not up for debate.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2011 01:02 AM
Bouboumaster

Miller on Ultimates, Ultimate X-Men and Kickass. Bendis on Daredevil, Alias, Powers and Ultimate Spider-man. BKV on Runaways. Fraction on Iron Man, and Iron Fist. Brubaker on Criminal, Captain America, Iron Fist and DD. Wheadon on Astonishing X-Men. Fraction on Iron-man. Araaon on Wolverine and Ghost Rider. Hickman on Fantastic Four, SHIELD and Secrete Warriors. Morrison on X-Men and Marvel Boy. Abnett and Lanning on GoG and Nova. Ellis on Next Wave and Iron Man. That is just off the top of my head, I'm sure I could think of more if I sat down and seriously tried to make a list.

On the other hand: Secret Invasion, Civil War, Ultimate 3 and Ultimatum, and those little things... ONE MORE DAY, BRAND NEW DAY and ONE MOMENT IN TIME

Old Post Jan 5th, 2011 01:08 AM
Bouboumaster is currently offline Click here to Send Bouboumaster a Private Message Find more posts by Bouboumaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gecko4lif

On the other hand: Secret Invasion, Civil War, Ultimate 3 and Ultimatum, and those little things... ONE MORE DAY, BRAND NEW DAY and ONE MOMENT IN TIME

I liked civil war.

But lets not forget World War hulk, Messiah War, THE ****ING SENTRY!!!!!!

Old Post Jan 5th, 2011 01:22 AM
Gecko4lif is currently offline Click here to Send Gecko4lif a Private Message Find more posts by Gecko4lif Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

in all fairness, there was as much shite as there was good stuff. it's the nature of the beast.

marvel was no doubt at it's most successful under quesada, though.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jan 5th, 2011 01:26 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Black bolt z
Mindsets Master

I didn't start I read a lot from the 2,000's and only the late(starting around '08) is good.IMO for the most part around '00-'07 wasn't that great erm

Old Post Jan 5th, 2011 02:47 AM
roughrider
Thunderer

The 2000s was when Marvel stopped sucking... The only good thing out of Marvel in the 90s was Mark Waid's Cap run and Joe Kelly on Deadpool. Marvel under Quesada has had more critically acclaimed and seminal runs then anything that isn't called Vertigo.

I agree. Look at the talent Joe Quesada brought to Marvel during the past decade - Brian Bendis, Mark Millar, Ed Brubaker, Garth Ennis, Grant Morrison (for the first half of the decade), JMS, Paul Jenkins, Mike Carey and that's just the writers. Plus Warren Ellis was a major force on several fronts.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Last edited by roughrider on Jan 5th, 2011 at 03:24 AM

Old Post Jan 5th, 2011 03:21 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

don't really care one way or the other.. just want some decent stories and good artwork every once in a while

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jan 5th, 2011 03:36 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Well not ground breaking or particularly amazing, neither Secret Invasion nor Civil War were bad by any definition of the word, they just were, and both had some amazing tie ins. I'll give you Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum were terrible, but other than those three Spider-man arcs Amazing Spider-man has been consistently better post OMD then it has been in two decades. Even at its worst (BND) Amazing was still head and shoulders above the Clone Saga and the rest of the 90s garbage. I would read OMD, BND and OMIT ten times over just to have chance to read Joe Kelly's Rage of the Rhino once.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2011 04:36 AM
Senor Cage

I agree with BB Z. Marvel overall sucked in 2000. They did have some good stuff, but the same could be said about any decade/era. All of their "Mega events" sucked as well. The only thing I really cared about is IF.

The new guy? I hope he does well and better than Joe Q.

DC> Marvel in 2000.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2011 06:00 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
basilisk

Yeah the 90s overall were a pretty dire decade. I did enjoy some of it though - a lot of the Quasar run was fun (not the later stuff much), some of the very early 90s Avengers (at the end of the 80s/early 90s such as parts of Acts of Vengeance, Operation Galactic Storm), What If was still producing some enjoyable issues if you like that sort of thing, the later Captain America run, and Thunderbolts. And a few others that I can't quite remember. But as it went on it was mostly crap ponytails, leather jackets, earrings, stubbles, bad writing, bad art, and gimmick covers.

The 2000s were certainly commercially successful. The writing, art and print quality improved. Quite a few talented writers and even the bad stories still mostly looked better than the 90s. There was still a hell of a lot of terrible stuff - Ultimates 3/Ultimatum, OMD/BND/OMIT, Osborn doing Gwen Stacey, most of Civil War (a letdown in the end), Secret Invasion, Bendis disassembling the Avengers, a lot of X-Men stuff, a lot of the FF (just boring IMO) the Sentry mess, and plenty of others. Lots of letdown "events" where the plot went nowhere.

But I enjoyed seeing a lot of revamped characters come back and done well - Nova and the cosmic characters and Annihilation, GoG, Agents of Atlas, Iron Fist, and Thunderbolts was still a fun read. Hell they even managed to make Darkhawk sort of interesting.

However for establishing the Marvel Universe, and the introduction of important and long lasting characters, the 60s and 70s are hard to beat.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2011 06:05 AM
basilisk is currently offline Click here to Send basilisk a Private Message Find more posts by basilisk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Originally posted by basilisk
Yeah the 90s overall were a pretty dire decade. I did enjoy some of it though - a lot of the Quasar run was fun (not the later stuff much), some of the very early 90s Avengers (at the end of the 80s/early 90s such as parts of Acts of Vengeance, Operation Galactic Storm), What If was still producing some enjoyable issues if you like that sort of thing, the later Captain America run, and Thunderbolts. And a few others that I can't quite remember. But as it went on it was mostly crap ponytails, leather jackets, earrings, stubbles, bad writing, bad art, and gimmick covers.

The 2000s were certainly commercially successful. The writing, art and print quality improved. Quite a few talented writers and even the bad stories still mostly looked better than the 90s. There was still a hell of a lot of terrible stuff - Ultimates 3/Ultimatum, OMD/BND/OMIT, Osborn doing Gwen Stacey, most of Civil War (a letdown in the end), Secret Invasion, Bendis disassembling the Avengers, a lot of X-Men stuff, a lot of the FF (just boring IMO) the Sentry mess, and plenty of others. Lots of letdown "events" where the plot went nowhere.

But I enjoyed seeing a lot of revamped characters come back and done well - Nova and the cosmic characters and Annihilation, GoG, Agents of Atlas, Iron Fist, and Thunderbolts was still a fun read. Hell they even managed to make Darkhawk sort of interesting.

However for establishing the Marvel Universe, and the introduction of important and long lasting characters, the 60s and 70s are hard to beat.

Yep, I agree with this. I did like the Sentry mini series that first introduced him. Great stuff. Bendis had to ruin the MU, IMO.

70's was better. Same with 80's.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2011 06:54 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Entity
Illuminati Founder

**** Quesada
My sentiments!

Other than Avengers, if you even count that, I still refuse to buy anything Spiderman since OMD until its fixed.
And he's always my favorite character since childhood. He's basically what got me into comics. Well him n the X-Men but mostly him.

None of them sparkle!
Sig by Scythe!

Old Post Jan 5th, 2011 02:02 PM
Entity is currently offline Click here to Send Entity a Private Message Find more posts by Entity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

General statements about companies (and EiC's) are general.

no expression

...chances are any one of us would vaguely dislike about 1/3 of Marvel's books in the next decade, be indifferent toward 1/3, and like about 1/3 if we were to read them all, regardless of who the EiC is.

Also, anyone boycotting Spidey due to OMD is missing out, the OMD stuff was indeed nonsense but it's been put in the rear-view for some time and has been a lot of fun. Do yourselves a favor and jump back 1-2 issues to the start of "Big Time." Or even a bit further back to Grim Hunt. Neither having anything to do with the continuity cluster****, but both really well done.

Last edited by Digi on Jan 5th, 2011 at 09:00 PM

Old Post Jan 5th, 2011 05:36 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
guy222
With my gal

hope mr. alonso does well

thank u bz

Old Post Jan 5th, 2011 09:50 PM
guy222 is currently offline Click here to Send guy222 a Private Message Find more posts by guy222 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote