KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » NJO Luke vs Traya

NJO Luke vs Traya
Started by: Darth Truculent

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Truculent
Truth is written in Blood

NJO Luke vs Traya

Battle site is Malachor V

Force
Lightsaber
All Out

War Doctor

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2010 04:11 PM
Click here to Send Darth Truculent a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Truculent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

WTF is this shit?

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2010 04:19 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vorpal Ruin
Jedi Master

Luke wins. This would be similar to a footrace between the Flash(DC) and Jabbe the Hutt.

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2010 06:05 PM
Click here to Send Vorpal Ruin a Private Message Find more posts by Vorpal Ruin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Luke ftw

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2010 06:51 PM
Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Truculent, why do you keep using Unknowns?

Old Post Sep 4th, 2010 01:02 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slash_KMC
Retired Helper

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Truculent, why do you keep using Unknowns?

Yes, I'd like that answered too.

Old Post Sep 4th, 2010 03:40 PM
Click here to Send Slash_KMC a Private Message Find more posts by Slash_KMC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Traya is far from an unknown, we have several feats of hers.

And NJO Luke wins.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2010 02:30 AM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

Originally posted by Q99
Traya is an unknown, we have no feats of hers.

agreed.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2010 03:03 AM
Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

I know it's a popular brain bug to say that around here with anything KotoR related, but honestly there's a fair amount of info from cut scenes and such.

It's not even like Revan and the Exile where their capabilities are vague due to having to be customizable. Traya, we know, has killed Jedi Masters who have in turn shown up in other material. Known kills of known characters with known means.

Last edited by Q99 on Sep 5th, 2010 at 03:27 AM

Old Post Sep 5th, 2010 03:24 AM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

known characters? I personally have no idea the skills of any of the jedi that she killed. Can you enlighten me? I know they are pretty good talkers, but I have no idea their combat ability.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2010 03:47 AM
Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by truejedi
known characters? I personally have no idea the skills of any of the jedi that she killed. Can you enlighten me? I know they are pretty good talkers, but I have no idea their combat ability.

One of 'em, Vrook, was the Jedi Master and council member who lead the assault on the Draay estate in the KotoR comics. He and the two others also were planning to strip the Exile of her connection to the force permanently, which requires a fair amount of force mastery.

But they could've been base apprentices, or three complete no-name masters, and it'd still be a feat to force-drain them to death. Traya was a major character in a fairly long game which includes a lot of background information. We have plenty of info on fights and feats around that time.

A character being from KotoR games =/= 'no info'.

Wanna argue shaky/limited info? Sure. But we don't have 'nothing,' we have the KotoR games and in some cases comics.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2010 04:16 AM
truejedi

Originally posted by Q99

Wanna argue shaky/limited info?

nah, i really, really don't. Believe what you want.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2010 04:54 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Q99
One of 'em, Vrook, was the Jedi Master and council member who lead the assault on the Draay estate in the KotoR comics. He and the two others also were planning to strip the Exile of her connection to the force permanently, which requires a fair amount of force mastery.
How much, and how do you measure it?

Originally posted by Q99
But they could've been base apprentices, or three complete no-name masters, and it'd still be a feat to force-drain them to death. Traya was a major character in a fairly long game which includes a lot of background information. We have plenty of info on fights and feats around that time.
No, not really.

Originally posted by Q99
A character being from KotoR games =/= 'no info'.
True, but it does = 'unquantifiable'. Unless you're Nihilus. Kinda.

Originally posted by Q99
Wanna argue shaky/limited info? Sure. But we don't have 'nothing,' we have the KotoR games and in some cases comics.
The comics aren't that spectacular at detailing combat ability. Their visual aids, sure, but being comics they're also exaggerated, and story driven.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2010 05:25 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

How much, and how do you measure it?

How do you measure any non-combat force power?

We do know it's something that is rare in any era, suggesting significant force mastery is needed.

quote:

True, but it does = 'unquantifiable'. Unless you're Nihilus. Kinda.

I can quantify it, "at least enough to take down three random Jedi masters, one a council member." We have a general idea of how strong Jedi masters are, so

It's not precise, but it is quantifiable to an approximate amount.

We also have her relationships with many other characters, like that she trained both Sion and Nihilus, and that they felt the need to team up to take her down (at least barring Nihilus using his force-eat power). If you have a web of dozens characters who all interact with each other, you get an idea of how they relate to each other in ability. If you have a bunch of people who can be judged approximate to each other, then that gives basis to start judging them against other groups too, especially when there are a few who interact with those from other eras (Celeste Morne most obviously).

quote:

The comics aren't that spectacular at detailing combat ability. Their visual aids, sure, but being comics they're also exaggerated, and story driven.

Equal or less than a lot of other EU stuff, like NJO. The DH comics in the last few years (ever since Republic) tend to be fairly down-to-Earth and in line with the movies.

If we discount them on that, we'd have to discount the EU in general.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2010 09:32 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Q99
How do you measure any non-combat force power?

We do know it's something that is rare in any era, suggesting significant force mastery is needed.
Talented use of a technique is not indicative of power level or strength. How does Kreia's Force push hold up against Kenobi's? What's her saber style? What's her specific mentality? How much is too much for her? What's her limits? Specifically.

Originally posted by Q99
I can quantify it, "at least enough to take down three random Jedi masters, one a council member." We have a general idea of how strong Jedi masters are, so

It's not precise, but it is quantifiable to an approximate amount.

We also have her relationships with many other characters, like that she trained both Sion and Nihilus, and that they felt the need to team up to take her down (at least barring Nihilus using his force-eat power). If you have a web of dozens characters who all interact with each other, you get an idea of how they relate to each other in ability. If you have a bunch of people who can be judged approximate to each other, then that gives basis to start judging them against other groups too, especially when there are a few who interact with those from other eras (Celeste Morne most obviously).
This isn't quantifying her abilities, it's summarizing what she did. I can do the exact same thing about the Care Bears. There is nothing specific about the power behind anybody's attacks. We have no narrative, no canon commentary, no detailed description of what they canonically can do how well they can do in given circumstances. EVERYTHING is conjecture with these guys. The only person who might have something to their name is Nihilus and his dubious pulling of the Ravager from Malachor's gravity well. But given the information comes from a loading screen and an in-universe character, it's not all too solid.

Originally posted by Q99
Equal or less than a lot of other EU stuff, like NJO. The DH comics in the last few years (ever since Republic) tend to be fairly down-to-Earth and in line with the movies.

If we discount them on that, we'd have to discount the EU in general.
Hence the trick of trying find the right path. But at least for all the characters concerned in those, we can measure their strengths. For the KotOR guys, we can only discuss that they did stuff, not how.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2010 09:53 AM
Q99

This isn't quantifying her abilities, it's summarizing what she did. I can do the exact same thing about the Care Bears. There is nothing specific about the power behind anybody's attacks.

That it's enough to kill doesn't tell you anything? it tells you that it's at least enough to do that.

She does stuff that has X effect. X is your low-end quantity.

Also it's quite possible to quantify the Care Bears...

It's not as easy to do as a comic or novel, but it sounds to me like you posters around here just aren't used to working with figuring out approximate ranges from this stuff and/or used to dealing with games rather than actually lacking info.

quote:
We have no narrative, no canon commentary, no detailed description of what they canonically can do how well they can do in given circumstances.

Sure we do.

KotoR games are full of narrative and are canon. We see how they do in various circumstances; sure, you can't count game play stuff, but you can count the scripted stuff.

quote:
EVERYTHING is conjecture with these guys. The only person who might have something to their name is Nihilus and his dubious pulling of the Ravager from Malachor's gravity well. But given the information comes from a loading screen and an in-universe character, it's not all too solid.

And scripted events and the actions within them. That's not conjecture, that's something a SW author wrote down of them doing stuff.

quote:

Hence the trick of trying find the right path. But at least for all the characters concerned in those, we can measure their strengths. For the KotOR guys, we can only discuss that they did stuff, not how.

And knowing that they did X or Y tells us that they can do them and have enough strength to do those things.

Plus as we actually see some of those events in the game.

Just because it's not in a book doesn't make it not count, not wanting to count game feats isn't the same thing as not having information in them.

Well, I'm not going to continue on, this is just the debater in me running into something that bugs me smile The information's there and it's a valid source if someone ever does want to dig through it and quantify stuff for the people here.

Last edited by Q99 on Sep 5th, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Old Post Sep 5th, 2010 10:29 AM
Aede Madavan
Restricted

Account Restricted

@ Q99:

thumb up

Old Post Sep 5th, 2010 11:43 AM
Click here to Send Aede Madavan a Private Message Find more posts by Aede Madavan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slash_KMC
Retired Helper

Originally posted by Q99
And knowing that they did X or Y tells us that they can do them and have enough strength to do those things.

So if I tell you that Obi-Wan beat Maul, then Obi-Wan has the strength to beat him, but is he better? If I tell you that a skinny 16 year old fought and beat some professional boxer, wouldn't it be important to know how he did it?

Old Post Sep 5th, 2010 03:58 PM
Click here to Send Slash_KMC a Private Message Find more posts by Slash_KMC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Q99
That it's enough to kill doesn't tell you anything? it tells you that it's at least enough to do that.

She does stuff that has X effect. X is your low-end quantity.
Kreia attacks with X powered up until____. Can her X at lvl.____ break Kenobi's defense of Y?

I'm serious, answer that. Can Kreia's Force TK break through Kenobi's mental defenses ala Dooku, and how easily? Don't give me your opinion or what you "feel" it "looked" like that she "likely" had. Give me facts.

Originally posted by Q99
It's not as easy to do as a comic or novel, but it sounds to me like you posters around here just aren't used to working with figuring out approximate ranges from this stuff and/or used to dealing with games rather than actually lacking info.
The last part of that sentence is confusing, but whatever...

We here (what remains of us), are used to using measurable facts. Not speculative facts.

Originally posted by Q99
Sure we do.

KotoR games are full of narrative and are canon. We see how they do in various circumstances; sure, you can't count game play stuff, but you can count the scripted stuff.

And scripted events and the actions within them. That's not conjecture, that's something a SW author wrote down of them doing stuff.
No, there is no narrative. There is no omniscient author describing to us the story's events and the characters' abilities, mentalities, follies, thoughts, skills, etc. We're given in-universe characters to opine on themselves and their surroundings. In-universe talk<<<omniscient narrator/author/George Lucas.

Originally posted by Q99
Strength enough to defeat/withstand/stand up to other era characters? Vader and Kenobi match each others' Force push. Will Mical's Force push stymie Kenobi's? Will Galen Marek's skill be enough to counter Malak's Force Lightning?

Again, I'm serious. Answer those question. USING FACTS.

Originally posted by Q99
Plus as we actually see some of those events in the game.
You're right, we do. We see the Leviathon bomb Taris. We KNOW that those lasers, from that year, from that ship, can do THIS to THAT building.

We see Kreia drain three Jedi Masters. We KNOW that SHE can drain THOSE masters. Can she do the exact same thing to Mace Windu, or Ki-Adi-Mundi? If she can, answer how. If she can't, answer why not.

We KNOW that Revan can Force Choke a Republic officer. Can his Force choke incapacitate Kyp Durron?

We KNOW that Revan and Malak defeated a Rakatan droid. Will their combined power be enough to defeat DE Luke and Darth Caedus?

Again, I'm serious. Answer those, using facts.

Originally posted by Q99
Just because it's not in a book doesn't make it not count, not wanting to count game feats isn't the same thing as not having information in them.
Truth.

Originally posted by Q99
Well, I'm not going to continue on, this is just the debater in me running into something that bugs me smile The information's there and it's a valid source if someone ever does want to dig through it and quantify stuff for the people here.
No, the information is there and provides the potential for valid statistics to be formed.

We know a whole shitload of "whats" in KotOR, and no "hows". Unfortunately for you, we're stodgy, cranky people who need sources and stats and feats and quantifiable evidence. We need "hows". If you can provide them, by all means...

Last edited by Lord Lucien on Sep 5th, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Old Post Sep 5th, 2010 10:57 PM
Letum Lettow

Originally posted by ares834
WTF is this shit?

Old Post Sep 6th, 2010 12:08 AM
Click here to Send Letum Lettow a Private Message Find more posts by Letum Lettow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote