KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » "No offense, but..."

"No offense, but..."
Started by: Darth Revan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Revan
-

"No offense, but..."

I was reading some posts in the forum, and I was thinking about something... It seems like people these days take offense way too easily. Either that, or everybody is just so damn afraid of pissing people off that they're constantly paranoid that some person, somewhere, is going to be "offended" by something they say. Like censors, for example... I was talking to some people on another forum, they were really sensitive about this kind of thing. I said the f word once and they both practically exploded. Or this whole "holiday season" thing--you're not allowed to say "what did you get for Christmas" anymore, because there might be a person in the room who doesn't celebrate Christmas. Gee, if I were Jewish I would really get upset if somebody asked me that. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I'm not saying there's no need for things like censors. But IMHO it's been carried a little too far recently.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2004 04:58 AM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
silver_tears

I agree, there's no more trust in common decency. stick out tongue

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2004 05:25 AM
silver_tears is currently offline Click here to Send silver_tears a Private Message Find more posts by silver_tears Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

You gotta take stuff with a grain of salt. People don't know you. It a fact so they are going to make assumptions and some might be wrong. Correct them and move on!

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2004 05:42 AM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

I again fail to see the connection between this and philosophy ...

oh wait, the great Kubowsky once said:
"I don't care what others think, I know I'm right" wink

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2004 07:42 AM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

I actually dont care if people are offended about things I say or post. I have to express my feelings truthfully, if I offend someone in that process though luck.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2004 08:44 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I love offending squares. If theirs a Jewish guy in the room and I know he's jewis, I'll ask him what he's getting for Xmas just to spite him.

Okay, not really. But I offend people all the time, and I really don't care. If they want to be offended over what someone else has to say then that is their problem that they need to deal with. I couldn't care less.

For instance, I was watching this special on the comedian Andrew "Dice" Clay just a few minutes ago, and they did a segment on his "sexism" in his act. And I couldn't help but notice that all the women who were offended and calling him sexist were women no man would ever want to have sex with in the first place. They were fat, homely and cow-like. This seems to be the norm, you don't see many hot women complaining about sexual harrasment, it's always these Oprah drones who eat Ben and Jerry's ice cream a little too much and become mamothly obese and grotesque. Then she catches some guy looking at her and claims it's sexual harrasment. No it's not sexual harrasment, you just got so large that you're in front of people no matter which way they look. It's these same glorified cows that complain about Howard Stern when he says the word "crap". Yet it's okay for Oprah to explain what "tossing the salad" means. What a load of crap.

See, I bet that offended some people, yet I don't care. Censorship blows.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2004 09:31 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

quote:
Originally posted by BackFire
I love offending squares. If theirs a Jewish guy in the room and I know he's jewis, I'll ask him what he's getting for Xmas just to spite him.

heheh..that's the spirit! stick out tongue

yes revan, that's true..however..you should simply not give a damn.
SOme people are really so obsessed about his virtual community and their place in it that they are extremely affraid to lose it. that's partly why they overreact over such matters.

Just don't play along and do your thing..

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2004 01:09 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

People find all kinds of things offencive. Mostly stuff that are taboo...

Also, censorship is shitty...erm most people get offended by the Grotesque art...which i dont really get roll eyes (sarcastic)

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2004 01:21 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ms Chelle
ubuntu

god gave us free will and our constitution gives us the freedom of speech .

if you dont like it , tough , get over it and move on .

made by Scribble

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2004 01:35 PM
Ms Chelle is currently offline Click here to Send Ms Chelle a Private Message Find more posts by Ms Chelle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

We should just kill all ethnic groups in a war!! The KKK is right let's just kill all those that are not anglos. Let's just massacre all blacks, asians, hispanics and mental handicaps in the planet. Death to all those that are not of pure race!!!

^ Now some people would find that offensive. Others won't even care for those comments. And some would agree with that. But the message is very clear! It promotes violence agaisn't those that are different than others. Would that be consider offensive? It depends on the individual. Being offensive is variable. What you consider offensive other people will consider it NOT offensive. So who is to say is that is offensive or not?

Last edited by WanderingDroid on Jun 23rd, 2004 at 02:52 PM

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2004 02:47 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clovie

quote:
Originally posted by yerssot
I again fail to see the connection between this and philosophy ...

oh wait, the great Kubowsky once said:
"I don't care what others think, I know I'm right" wink

i've been always thinking i said it first blink

tricked me once - shame on you, tricked me twice - shame on me

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2004 02:55 PM
Clovie is currently offline Click here to Send Clovie a Private Message Find more posts by Clovie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

quote:
Originally posted by WindDancer
We should just kill all ethnic groups in a war!! The KKK is right let's just kill all those that are not anglos. Let's just massacre all blacks, asians, hispanics and mental handicaps in the planet. Death to all those that are not of pure race!!!

^ Now some people would find that offensive. Others won't even care for those comments. And some would agree with that. But the message is very clear! It promotes violence agaisn't those that are different than others. Would that be consider offensive? It depends on the individual. Being offensive is variable. What you consider offensive other people will consider it NOT offensive. So who is to say is that is offensive or not?

yes that would be considered offenseive..but that's not the issue. the issue is why offensive bothers us.
i just might have another offensive line in return, to reply to that quote.

maybe that's what a person really thinks..therefore telling us something about him and how he's like. it's shouldn't be censored..because that person would still be the same..without us knowing about it..

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2004 06:26 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Df02

yea, ive noticed people get offended way too easy here, ive had to hold my tongue quite a lot.
my humour and style of trying etc is alot different to the majority of people here i guess, but alot of the stuff i say is hardly offensive in the slightest and obviously a joke...yet people seem to get offended... ah well, i wont change what i type, ill just limit when i type it lol

TotalFormat Forums
tomorrow is so far and I no longer want to find a replacement for all these pictures that are lost in my mind

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2004 06:31 PM
Df02 is currently offline Click here to Send Df02 a Private Message Find more posts by Df02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

quote:
Originally posted by Dexx
yes that would be considered offenseive..but that's not the issue. the issue is why offensive bothers us.

maybe that's what a person really thinks..therefore telling us something about him and how he's like. it's shouldn't be censored..because that person would still be the same..without us knowing about it..

Yes, you and I (and other ppl) find that comment offensive. But the person who wrote that, and others whom agree with that person don't find it offensive. The point that I was trying to make is that where do we draw the line on what is offensive? What you and I may consider offensive will not be the same for another person. So who gets to censor the other person? Should I censor that person for expressing his opinion? (even thought it is a message of hate) Who am I to censor another person when I myself has a different opinion?

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2004 06:37 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

quote:
Originally posted by WindDancer
Yes, you and I (and other ppl) find that comment offensive. But the person who wrote that, and others whom agree with that person don't find it offensive. The point that I was trying to make is that where do we draw the line on what is offensive? What you and I may consider offensive will not be the same for another person. So who gets to censor the other person? Should I censor that person for expressing his opinion? (even thought it is a message of hate) Who am I to censor another person when I myself has a different opinion?

offensive is when the other person gets offended. but that's not important. in MY opinion a person has the right to offend, and i have the right to be offended....but that's in spite of any possibility of good social relations between the two.
and such relations are what these boards (any boards) promote...that's why they're prohibbited

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2004 07:00 PM
yerssot

quote:
Originally posted by Df02
yea, ive noticed people get offended way too easy here,

what the **** are you ******** around for here?
have I don't something wrong to you, you stupid ****** ***** **** ***** mad
you just go ********* **** ****** **** !madmadmad

laughing out loud just kidding of course big grin

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2004 07:06 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ms Chelle
ubuntu

yers , you are to funny . laughing out loud

made by Scribble

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2004 07:08 PM
Ms Chelle is currently offline Click here to Send Ms Chelle a Private Message Find more posts by Ms Chelle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Dexx

What if in allowing his comments to spread you cause hatred to be incited, and people to be hurt or killed?

Censorship can have perfectly valid uses in a society, and insufficient censorship- perhaps best expressed as over-liberalism- has in fact destroyed societites.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2004 07:10 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

I'm just curious but what societys are you talking about?

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2004 08:33 PM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Corlindel
Noldor

quote:
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Censorship can have perfectly valid uses in a society, and insufficient censorship- perhaps best expressed as over-liberalism- has in fact destroyed societites.

Censorship is not valid in any ocasion. With the only exception for the right to our private affairs and at some State affairs wich can dismiss the public opinion.

A society who survives by censorship and does not respect the most common rights of free will and information deserves to be destroyed.

A decent and equal society doesnt need to be afraid of the anger and if it is the own source of that anger doesnt solve nothing with censorship. Better to try to solve the reason of the anger.

Censorship is the most rudimentary way of lying.

smile

Por minha Dama
«...et tu seras pour moi unique au monde, et je serais pour toi unique au monde...»

Last edited by Corlindel on Jun 23rd, 2004 at 09:03 PM

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2004 08:58 PM
Corlindel is currently offline Click here to Send Corlindel a Private Message Find more posts by Corlindel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote