KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Is there such thing as Drinking Responsibly?

Is there such thing as Drinking Responsibly?
Started by: Linkalicious

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

I thought the reason you drank or got drunk was to be irresponsible...confused

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 04:59 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snoopy43

Everyone who drinks alcohol at some point drinks thinking that they're getting rid of some stress or blowing off steam. It's the persons sole responsibility to know when they've had enough. Many have tried few have actually accomplished this. It's when you start losing control and start repeating the same kind of destructive pattern that the trouble starts.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 05:59 PM
snoopy43 is currently offline Click here to Send snoopy43 a Private Message Find more posts by snoopy43 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
theReject

hmm

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 06:02 PM
theReject is currently offline Find more posts by theReject Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Drinking responsable basically means drinking and not driving.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 06:02 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Of course there is such a thing as drinking responsibly.

I dont get people who only drink to get drunk. the purpose of having a drink is to enjoy it, not too over do it and act like a retard. When you go to a resturant for a meal, or somewhere out generaly you dont drink to be irresponsible, you drink it to enjoy it.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 06:06 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious

quote:
Originally posted by BackFire
Drinking responsable basically means drinking and not driving.

I disagree....only because that's too narrow of a reason. But the part of your comment you made....i agree with.

There are those people who can't handle their liquor. The ones that stumble around, sweat profusly, slur their words, and throw up in the bathrooms. They aren't drinking responsibly, but they aren't driving either.

As for Lil's comment. That's not really drinking....that's enjoying A drink. I do the same with Mexican food because I always have a cadillac margarita...but that's while going out to eat, that isn't the same as a night at the bar. Or a night at home watching some "footie" or a ball game.

The question is directed at those people who aren't the DD for the night, who have a friend or parent or loved one tell them "drink responsibly" before they go out for the night. I always tell them...."define responsibly" stick out tongue

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 06:21 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

That's why I threw in the word "basically". When the term "drinking responsibly" is used, it's generally reffering to not drinking and driving, or hurting other people when you're druink.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 06:30 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

This isn't even vaguely philosophy... it's not philosophy just because it's an issue.

Meanwhile, unless you rule that all drinking is illegal then logically speaking at some point it is not irresponsible to do so.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 06:41 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Baylin
Back in story!

I suppose drinking responsibly is going out getting drunk but not to the point where you become so incapable that you cant get home again.
I'm talking from the point of view of a paramedic who spends 95% of weekend nights taking people to hospital, who really dont need to be there, just because they've drunk too much. In my opinion it is a totally irresponsible waste of health service resourses, especially when people who are genuinely ill/injuried cant get an ambulace because we're busy with time wasters!

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 07:02 PM
Baylin is currently offline Click here to Send Baylin a Private Message Find more posts by Baylin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Napalm
Mr. Hyde

yes you can drink responsibly

Bud list SlipknoT,42bardock,Freddy love,Similing Sadly,Mr Parker, Jackie Malfoy,Aku

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 07:07 PM
Napalm is currently offline Click here to Send Napalm a Private Message Find more posts by Napalm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

I'm going to weigh in here with my opinion which has 32 years of experience behind it. I had my first drink at 15 (I'm 43 now) From the ages of 15-24 I couldnt have drank responsibly if someone had paid me to. It was all about partying.....how fast can you get drunk, how much can you drink without puking, who can you drink under the table, how many different drinks have I tired etc etc. on a 3 weekend out of 4 basis. Then I entered my get smashed once a month phase..24-28. Then I kinda just grew out of it. When I was 29 I met and married a man who would become an alcoholic. Oh yes what fun we had....him getting up in the middle of the night and taking a leak on the bedroom floor cause he was too damn drunk to remember where the bathroom was. In closing I think there are many many types of drinking, some responsible some not and to some extent I do believe that this changes with age unless you are like my ex who made a habit of drinking and driving which is never EVER smart.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 07:16 PM
~JP~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
super pr*xy

beligirent is deifferent from irresponsible. acting up while being drunk is being beligerent. driving while drunk is being irresponsible. and i don't think throwing up is drinking irresponsibly... it merely shows that you rbody has had enough alcohol and if you imbibe more, you'll probably end up passing out.

how bout this for a definition of "drinking responsibly"... enjoying the night while not getting your face punched in for acting stupid then blaming the alcohol and not getting behind the wheel and end up killing a family of six just because you pressed the accelerator instead of te brakes because you were to wasted to react quickly. up-chucks are optional...

ps. i actually think up-chucks are good for you because they expell some amoutn of alcohol out of your body and onto your clothes...

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 07:20 PM
super pr*xy is currently offline Click here to Send super pr*xy a Private Message Find more posts by super pr*xy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mechmoggy
Northern Monkey

If I found myself fighting, driving, or generally acting like a dick after drinking; I'd just stop getting drunk.

As it is, drunk mech is a whole lot of fun; so I'll continue drinking in social situations.

And maybe sometimes alone too. embarrasment

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 07:23 PM
mechmoggy is currently offline Click here to Send mechmoggy a Private Message Find more posts by mechmoggy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

quote:
Originally posted by Linkalicious
As for Lil's comment. That's not really drinking....that's enjoying A drink. I do the same with Mexican food because I always have a cadillac margarita...but that's while going out to eat, that isn't the same as a night at the bar. Or a night at home watching some "footie" or a ball game.

No, I disagree.

I pitty the person whos sole reason for going out is to get drunk and act like a dick!
I also pitty a person who cannot have fun with out being hammered, thats pretty pathetic also.

No matter where you go out, to a bar or a club or a resturant or wherever, it matters not, you should enjoy the drink, not just to get drunk. Drunkness was supposed to be something that happens from time to time when you have fun.

Thats like cocain user saying: 'Tonight, im gonna go overdose and hope i dont die, then next week, im going out to overdose again, overdosing is fun''

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 08:02 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious

Oh I agree there Lil. Actually I agree almost everything people have said past the point of my last post. Including me putting this in the wrong forum because i wasn't paying attention to whether or not i was in GDF or Phil forum.

Anyone that gets drunk just to be a dick...well they go without comment. And actually, i'd like to pitty them...but they aren't worth my pitty.

but do any of you see the point of my question....don't you tend to drink because it makes your worry less about your responsibilities. If you're driving that's fine...if you're driving drunk...that's irresponsible. If you're fighting, you're acting irresponsibly. If you have work early Friday, but you're out late Thursday drinking....are you acting responsibly?

As for being belligerant....well IMO that's irresponsibility in it's highest form. If you can't be responsible for your own actions.....then aren't you being irresponsible?

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 08:26 PM
lil bitchiness
-

People seem to be irrisponsible whenever they have the chance erm no matter whats in question.

Guns, alcohol, or any other drugs, driving cars...messed it all spells irresponsibility.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 08:32 PM
Linkalicious

yes....but generally speaking....being irresponsible is one of the best ways to have a good time.

But i dunno about guns....can't really agree there's ever a time to be irresponsible while handling those...

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 08:33 PM
wuTa

are you sayin coz someone has a drink or owns a gun they are irresponsible?

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 08:34 PM
wuTa is currently offline Click here to Send wuTa a Private Message Find more posts by wuTa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wuTa

quote:
Originally posted by Linkalicious
If you have work early Friday, but you're out late Thursday drinking....are you acting responsibly?

if you can make it to work on time and not have the drinking affect your work than yea...your acting responsibly

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 08:37 PM
wuTa is currently offline Click here to Send wuTa a Private Message Find more posts by wuTa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious

yah....i didn't wanna be that technical. I just kinda threw that one out there because I can't go out drinking late on Thursdays sad

Stupid work at 4:30 am mad

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 08:39 PM