KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » If what we know is what we are then . . . why is my foot blue?

If what we know is what we are then . . . why is my foot blue?
Started by: Tired Hiker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Shocked If what we know is what we are then . . . why is my foot blue?

Ignore the title.

If all we can fathom is all we know, then everything we can think of is possible, since we only know what we have learned through experience. What do you think? erm

Old Post Sep 16th, 2004 05:54 AM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Turbo-Cajun
Big Baby Jesus

The first part of your question confuses me a little bit, but i think what you are asking is, is percieved reality the only foundation upon which we can examine the human experience. My response to this is no. I would tend to agree with those who believe that perception is processed in conjunction with time and space, feelings of the sublime. My recommendation is if you have spent any time dealing with questions such as this do some deep reading of old school philosophers like Kant. Or you could possibly spend some time experimenting with mind altering psychoactive substances. I have done both. Its both satisfying and impossible. Good luck finding your answers.

Ytaker agreed with me once on October 9th, 2004

Old Post Sep 16th, 2004 07:18 AM
Turbo-Cajun is currently offline Click here to Send Turbo-Cajun a Private Message Find more posts by Turbo-Cajun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

It wasn't really a question, but thanks! big grin I'll have to read some Kant. Hallucinogens, I've done. But Kant, I have not. wink

Old Post Sep 16th, 2004 07:21 AM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Turbo-Cajun
Big Baby Jesus

Its good stuff. The hallucigens i mean. The Kant can get dry and tough to read sometimes. I had some of that in a history of philosophy class but I had a great Prof. so it wasnt too bad

Ytaker agreed with me once on October 9th, 2004

Old Post Sep 16th, 2004 07:37 AM
Turbo-Cajun is currently offline Click here to Send Turbo-Cajun a Private Message Find more posts by Turbo-Cajun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

I actually thought of this thread because of a theory my philosophy teacher in junior college taught me, which was something about memory, and how we only know what we can remember, here's a meak example. Let's say someone says to you, "hey, what is on the corner of Main St. and Market St.?" So, you visualize what is there, say it's a Chevron gas station.

Okay, I never claimed to be a philosophical genius. Plus I've been partying tonight. Forgive me. erm

Old Post Sep 16th, 2004 07:42 AM
Clovie

Kant was a genious. yes

tricked me once - shame on you, tricked me twice - shame on me

Old Post Sep 19th, 2004 01:14 PM
Clovie is currently offline Click here to Send Clovie a Private Message Find more posts by Clovie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Paxelius
bearer of the blue hat

We know nothing of importance if we don't know love (shamelessly modyfied quote by Socrates)

Old Post Sep 21st, 2004 12:46 AM
Paxelius is currently offline Click here to Send Paxelius a Private Message Find more posts by Paxelius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

quote:
Originally posted by Tired Hiker
I actually thought of this thread because of a theory my philosophy teacher in junior college taught me, which was something about memory, and how we only know what we can remember, here's a meak example. Let's say someone says to you, "hey, what is on the corner of Main St. and Market St.?" So, you visualize what is there, say it's a Chevron gas station.

Apologies in advance babe, but it seems that you've stopped midway through an explanation. Either that or my grasp on reality has slipped once again erm

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 4th, 2004 12:37 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote