KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Matrix Movies » Matrix Murder

Matrix Murder
Started by: Tex

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Tex
Yumsz

Matrix Murder

You know how all these Matrix nerds claim to be so smart, Ummmstick out tongue

Matrix films blamed for series of murders by obsessed fans

Duncan Campbell in Los Angeles
Monday May 19, 2003
The Guardian

One of the attractions of The Matrix, the film whose sequel, The Matrix Reloaded, opens in Britain next week, was its blending of fantasy and reality. A series of murders in the United States suggests some people have been unable to distinguish between the two.
Josh Cooke, a 19-year-old in Oakton, Virginia, owned a trenchcoat like the one worn by Neo, the character played by Keanu Reeves in the movie, and kept a poster of his hero on his bedroom wall. Then he bought a gun similar to the one used by Neo to fight evil.

In February, he shot his father and mother in the basement of their home and then called the police. His lawyers say he believed that he was living inside the Matrix.

The theme of the films is that computers have taken over the earth, although some humans exist in a computer-simulated world, battling to save humanity. "He's just obsessed with it," Cooke's defence attorney, Rachel Fierro, told the Washington Post.

The local prosecutor, Robert Horan, said: "I don't think the movie causes violence. Millions and millions of people have seen it and not killed anybody." Cooke will now be examined by a psychiatrist.

The Matrix seems to have spawned other imitators. Last week in Ohio, a woman was found not guilty of killing the professor whose house she rented, on the grounds of insanity. Tonda Lynn Ansley, 37, said she had had dreams which turned out not to be dreams. The local prosecutor said that, "in her warped perception", the film played a part in the killing.

In San Francisco in 2000, Vadim Mieseges, 27, killed his landlady, Ella Wong, and pleaded not guilty on grounds of insanity. The police who interviewed him said he had made "reference to being sucked into the Matrix".

The young man accused of taking part in last year's sniper attacks in the Washington area has also cited the film.

"Free yourself of the Matrix," wrote Lee Boyd Malvo, 18, one of the two defendants, in his jail cell.

Old Post May 19th, 2003 10:29 PM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

To quote Scream:

"Movies don't turn people into killers. Movies just make killers more imaginative."

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post May 19th, 2003 10:31 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Augeybana
Augeygeta

That's why people blame these movies then people blame these movies for putting bad images in people heads it sad.But it obvious these people should be locked away for insanity.

Old Post May 19th, 2003 10:34 PM
Augeybana is currently offline Click here to Send Augeybana a Private Message Find more posts by Augeybana Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
turin

well those are truly horrible cases, but the movie cant be blamed. there are crazy people in the world that will use anything as an excuse (particulary when faced with a death penalty). i have never heard of matrix nerds claiming to be so smart, though i am sure some do when they think they have the show figured out. the only claim i have heard of the sorts is that the films are really smart. plus if being a huge fan of a movie and signing up for forums based on movies makes a person a nerd, then we all are, including tex. long live the nerds!!! i saw a shirt the other day i almost bought, it was a stick figure dude with his fist raised that said "dorks united", nice.

and filled with wrath and despair he mounted upon Rochallor his great horse and rode forth alone, and none might restrain him. He passed over Dor-nu-Fauglith like a wind amid the dust, and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Oromë himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar.

Old Post May 19th, 2003 10:39 PM
turin is currently offline Click here to Send turin a Private Message Find more posts by turin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Augeybana
Augeygeta

Movies and music get blame for this stuff not right.But now a days kids mouths come from that.And know there mothers don't speck like that.Stop and listen to elementary students walk near you and hear what they say very aweful and sad.

Old Post May 19th, 2003 10:55 PM
Augeybana is currently offline Click here to Send Augeybana a Private Message Find more posts by Augeybana Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Vicious

Well i agree, people should stop getting the easy way out and blame movies, music and other people for their actions. But in this now and age by someone pretending to be insane they get away with a lot of things. GET RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS PEOPLE!! AND STOP BLAMING MOVIES AND MUSIC!!

P.S-The Matrix Has You!!! lol

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post May 20th, 2003 01:09 AM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Augeybana
Augeygeta

But it's parents job to keep kids away from bad things for young people watching these movies can affect them.

Old Post May 20th, 2003 01:22 AM
DeepThought
Salmon of Doubt!

People will blame anything, usually minus themselves.

Old Post May 20th, 2003 03:51 AM
DeepThought is currently offline Click here to Send DeepThought a Private Message Find more posts by DeepThought Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tevesh

yeah seriously. video games, movies and music. some people are just instable to begin with. if not that, then it's the parents not doing the job they should be doing. out of the billions of people that live on this planet who are exposed to violence through all these types of media, it is only a handfull that actually DO anything that violent. this type of violence can't be blamed on movies when it is clearly the person's instablity or lack of parental guidance.

seriously guys, i went to go see the movie again, and there were all sorts of parents talking small children to view the movie. it's up to them i guess, but the whole movie rating system was to prevent messing with kids heads and minds. same with video games. it's up to the parents to do what's best for the kids, if that fails, then there isn't much else anyone can do.

Unless the question is: What isn't the answer?

Old Post May 20th, 2003 03:59 AM
Tevesh is currently offline Click here to Send Tevesh a Private Message Find more posts by Tevesh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chico
chopper style

Re: Matrix Murder

Originally posted by Tex
You know how all these Matrix nerds claim to be so smart, Ummmstick out tongue

We are not nerds Tex we are GEEKS!!
And I never claimed to be smart wink

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you." --Friedrich Nietzsche

Old Post May 20th, 2003 08:30 AM
chico is currently offline Click here to Send chico a Private Message Find more posts by chico Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Augeybana
Augeygeta

Yeah Nerds are smart>

Old Post May 20th, 2003 10:59 AM
Corran
Lucifer

what a sad state of affairs, I wouldn't blame the movies or music, there is something definately wrong with someone who can do something like that, if they didn't use a movie too blame it on then it would have been something they saw on the news or read in the paper or a book.

Old Post May 20th, 2003 11:02 AM
Corran is currently offline Click here to Send Corran a Private Message Find more posts by Corran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Augeybana
Augeygeta

People blame anything to avoid jail.

Old Post May 20th, 2003 11:03 AM
Dexx
wingless

these are not lacks in education, childhood molesting..or whatever. These are some ****ed up people...up there..in the head. And you can't blame movies because sooner or later the true intentions come on top (though matrix would turn a killer into a more immaginative one big grin)
I mean..you have people shooting in highschools with ingrams over there...where did they get that?

Old Post May 20th, 2003 07:26 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tevesh

plus, a few months after columbine, people were freakin out that school shootings were increasing at an alarming rate, when in actuality, there was a report done by peter jennings saying that school shootings were actually decreasing, but media coverage of them was increasing

i agree with you 100% dexx....people kill people, not movies

Old Post May 20th, 2003 07:54 PM
Tevesh is currently offline Click here to Send Tevesh a Private Message Find more posts by Tevesh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

*finds t-shirt imprinted with: "movies don't kill people, i kill people!"

Old Post May 20th, 2003 07:57 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tevesh

you're a person, so i agree with that logo all the way!

Old Post May 20th, 2003 08:02 PM
Dexx
wingless

yeah....i even feel sorry for htose guyz. After all the killings..they don't even get the originality credit for them. Ppl say they got'em from a mvie...so they get...nothing...oh, yeah: years behind bars.stick out tongue

Old Post May 20th, 2003 08:04 PM
Tevesh

haha! copyright infringment!

Old Post May 20th, 2003 08:06 PM
Dexx
wingless

well..ofcourse...that's the REAL crime, no?

Old Post May 20th, 2003 08:07 PM