KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Does god only exist in your head?

Does god only exist in your head?
Started by: Turbo-Cajun

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Turbo-Cajun
Big Baby Jesus

That doesnt really contribute anything to the conversation. If you want to go talk about how great god is, go hang out at youth group or something. If you are trying to make a point that fits in some how to how religion and the anatomy of the human mind, I dont see how. I hate how all the philosphy threads get blown into the atheists verses the church crowd. Please try keep yourself on topic.

Unless your trying to say that Religion is mass produced by Chinese child sweatshop labor, in which case I am just confused.

Ytaker agreed with me once on October 9th, 2004

Old Post Oct 20th, 2004 09:44 AM
Turbo-Cajun is currently offline Click here to Send Turbo-Cajun a Private Message Find more posts by Turbo-Cajun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

quote:
Originally posted by zinh

Humans need a higher power sad I think mostly because we think of ourselves above all other creatures because we have the highest intelligence. We are smarter so we have a purpose or something.

But I don't. I don't think I need a higher power and I am human. Sure, I needed my mom and dad to raise me, at least someone to bring me up, feed me, clothe me, etc. But now that I'm old enough, I am able to take care of myself. When I'm down, I don't go to God, I talk to my friends or hang out on KMC.

I don't think of myself as being above other creatures either. I don't know why many people do. I never understood that. I don't understand why many people feel they need a leader as well, or to be more powerful than someone else. Sure, if someone is a threat to me physically, I will use whatever power it takes to free myself of their threat toward me. But I don't feel I am smarter just because I do so. I just want to survive and be happy and not put others in harm's way. I don't need God, as harsh as it may sound to some.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2004 09:55 AM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

quote:
Originally posted by Turbo-Cajun

Tired Hiker- I dont know. Some people have twisted interpretations on what exactly those scientific findings mean. I dont agree with everything they say in that article... but I dont understand why it is not possible for there to be some physical part of you connected to religion. That seems to be where a lot of the disagreement is here. Its not "well what does this mean?" its more like "Nope cant be phyisically part of you only in your thoughts..." and I'm saying that I think it could take part in a specific area of the brain. Thats basically what is being said in those studies. The interpretation of it... you cant really interpret anything meaningful from it. Except that it takes place in a certain area and we know where that is. Thats the only conclusion I can really accept based on what I've read. I dont know what that kid would do, Im guessing he would grow up like wolves and do wolve things... maybe he would be spiritual in some way, but who knows.

I see what you mean. Also, though I may not believe in God, I never cancelled out the idea that God may exist, and I may be wrong. I am comfortible with the fact that I may never know. Maybe I excercise the same part of my brain when I 'hope' for something. In essence, 'hope' is having 'faith' and 'faith' is the basis for believing in God, therefore, me hoping is the same as others believing in God. I see how that part of the brain could be triggered whether it's faith in God, or faith that my car will make it up a steep hill.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2004 10:05 AM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
whether it's faith in God, or faith that my car will make it up a steep hill.
laughing out loud laughing out loud dont by french cars then cool

Old Post Oct 20th, 2004 10:43 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Turbo-Cajun
Big Baby Jesus

What I said.

Persinger has tickled the temporal lobes of more than 900 people before me and has concluded, among other things, that different subjects label this ghostly perception with the names that their cultures have trained them to use - Elijah, Jesus, the Virgin Mary, Mohammed, the Sky Spirit. Some subjects have emerged with Freudian interpretations - describing the presence as one's grandfather, for instance - while others, agnostics with more than a passing faith in UFOs, tell something that sounds more like a standard alien-abduction story.

That was what was said in one of those articles (This is your brain on God) where they were stimulating that area of the brain in test subjects... kind of what you were saying TH. We are all going to interpret this differently... Im not sure exactly how I interpret this, but I find this kind of stuff interesting. Its stuff worth thinking about, especially in the philosphy forum where there are a lot of different arguements going about "does god exist?" or "Bible: fact or fiction?"... its nothing conclusive for either arguement, just something that might need to be taken into account when people are forming their opinions.

laughing out loud french cars...

Old Post Oct 20th, 2004 04:47 PM
Turbo-Cajun is currently offline Click here to Send Turbo-Cajun a Private Message Find more posts by Turbo-Cajun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

quote:
Originally posted by Turbo-Cajun
I personally know epileptics who are very relgious... maybe your relatives are the exceptions? It doesnt say all epileptics have this. You know 2 people with epilepsy... not a sufficient number to say that being highly religous is not something experienced by a large number of epileptics. Just not experienced by two. Not a scientific study... 2 people.

Why would your knowing religious epileptics constitute as my relatives being the exceptions? Perhaps the epileptics you know are the exceptions. I'm more than willing to accept that my relatives could be the ones who are perhaps a little different, my whole family are indeed quite odd, but why does it have to be this way just because you know epileptics who do believe? And I know perfectly well that knowing two people doesn't mean I have a scientific case, but should I ever need that pointing out again I'll be sure and see you.

quote:
If your immagination doesnt originate from your brain, where does it come from then? stick out tongue The "God Module" is not really a "module" as its name impies, but rather a part of the brain that becomes more active when experiencing religion. Just as parts of your brain become more active while experiencing pain or remembering something from your childhood.

We have, I believe, already had a thread that discussed imagination and its existence, where it stems from, how it works etc. Find that, read some other views and then tell me where its origins are.

Imagination, IMO, is made up of experiences we have, memories and images that do, admittedly, take effect inside our brains, but are more of an essence to each individual than a scientific element of the human body.

quote:
If we have a part of our brain that makes us think that we are talking to God how does that make us not predisposed to have some religious thought? I dont think your comment directly contradicts that statement. Religion was created to answer questions like "where did we come from?" "why are we here?" etc... These answers that Religion gave them, regardless of whether they are true or not, makes them more secure because they "have faith in something"... Religion helps a lot of people more comfortably, not me, but alot of people.

I was simply arguing against that statement implying that we were genetically programmed to believe in God. As you said, religion may have been specifically created to to answer such questions, and if that is the case then how could we have been programmed this way from the start? More likely we decided this for ourselves, no?

And with regard to the 'laboratory-cum-church' comment, I was really trying to say that I believe those particular researchers to be entirely religious, just an attempt at lightening the atmosphere roll eyes (sarcastic)

quote:
Anyway... If you read a little deeper, you would see that the "God Module" did not just encourage Christianity, which we both dont believe in, but also it says that it caused visions in those who believe in Aliens that are typical of those who believe they are abducted by extraterrestrials... meaning that it doesnt mean that we are going to have to be religious because we have this part of our brain, we might just believe really hard in aliens. But, if people have this part of their brain that makes them prone to have these visions or these beliefs... people are more likely to accept stories about God and Jesus, because "they feel like them working within themselves" and they "feel god working through them, etc..." So yeah, I think if that part of the brain does create these feelings of God within us we are more likely to believe in that, than if we didnt feel the presence of god in us... it has nothing really to do with whether he really exists or if it is just how we percieve him. It just affects i guess whether we are more or less likely to believe it.

The more 'imaginative' people are perhaps the ones who are more likely to be swayed by different concepts of religion than those who are steadfastly straight and narrow, who don't hold much creativity in their minds? Well, I'm creative, I'm imaginative, but I don't believe in a religion personally. I do however have a deep interest in religion and culture that may one day lead to my being completely turned, until then I cannot say big grin

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 20th, 2004 07:45 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moosey
Gone

quote:
Originally posted by Syren
Why would your knowing religious epileptics constitute as my relatives being the exceptions? Perhaps the epileptics you know are the exceptions. I'm more than willing to accept that my relatives could be the ones who are perhaps a little different, my whole family are indeed quite odd, but why does it have to be this way just because you know epileptics who do believe? And I know perfectly well that knowing two people doesn't mean I have a scientific case, but should I ever need that pointing out again I'll be sure and see you.

We have, I believe, already had a thread that discussed imagination and its existence, where it stems from, how it works etc. Find that, read some other views and then tell me where its origins are.

Imagination, IMO, is made up of experiences we have, memories and images that do, admittedly, take effect inside our brains, but are more of an essence to each individual than a scientific element of the human body.

I was simply arguing against that statement implying that we were genetically programmed to believe in God. As you said, religion may have been specifically created to to answer such questions, and if that is the case then how could we have been programmed this way from the start? More likely we decided this for ourselves, no?

And with regard to the 'laboratory-cum-church' comment, I was really trying to say that I believe those particular researchers to be entirely religious, just an attempt at lightening the atmosphere roll eyes (sarcastic)

The more 'imaginative' people are perhaps the ones who are more likely to be swayed by different concepts of religion than those who are steadfastly straight and narrow, who don't hold much creativity in their minds? Well, I'm creative, I'm imaginative, but I don't believe in a religion personally. I do however have a deep interest in religion and culture that may one day lead to my being completely turned, until then I cannot say big grin

God I love you. big grin wink

956,000: Moosey

Old Post Oct 20th, 2004 07:50 PM
Moosey is currently offline Click here to Send Moosey a Private Message Find more posts by Moosey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

quote:
Originally posted by Canadian Moose
God I love you. big grin wink

Well, I guess I can't deny that I think I feel the same. And you just told everybody

ninja

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 20th, 2004 07:51 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moosey
Gone

quote:
Well, I guess I can't deny that I think I feel the same. And you just told everybody

ninja

I...WOT? No, I was amazed at your diatribe.

But..umm...yeah... embarrasment

Old Post Oct 20th, 2004 07:56 PM
Moosey is currently offline Click here to Send Moosey a Private Message Find more posts by Moosey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

quote:

As Kerry kicks ass...big grin

And the thing about more imaginative people being more likely to be swayed by religion is such crap...

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Oct 20th, 2004 07:57 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

quote:
I...WOT? No, I was amazed at your diatribe.

But..umm...yeah... embarrasment

laughing

Did I scare you? Apologies stick out tongue

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 20th, 2004 07:58 PM
Syren
dreaming

quote:
Originally posted by Silver Stardust
As Kerry kicks ass...big grin

And the thing about more imaginative people being more likely to be swayed by religion is such crap...

We know that for sure, being amazingly imaginative ourselves Twin that you are of mine

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 20th, 2004 07:58 PM
Peach
mordrem

quote:
We know that for sure, being amazingly imaginative ourselves Twin that you are of mine

Yes, that we are...

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Oct 20th, 2004 07:59 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moosey
Gone

quote:
laughing

Did I scare you? Apologies stick out tongue

No, I'm sure it was all just in my head...

*looks at the thread*

Yeah...must have been.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2004 08:00 PM
mailedbypostman
I'm just a messenger.

We'll never know until we die. That's it.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2004 08:06 PM
mailedbypostman is currently offline Click here to Send mailedbypostman a Private Message Find more posts by mailedbypostman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

quote:
No, I'm sure it was all just in my head...

*looks at the thread*

Yeah...must have been.

laughing

Mhmm, must have been laughing out loud

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 20th, 2004 08:06 PM
Turbo-Cajun
Big Baby Jesus

quote:
[B]Why would your knowing religious epileptics constitute as my relatives being the exceptions? Perhaps the epileptics you know are the exceptions. I'm more than willing to accept that my relatives could be the ones who are perhaps a little different, my whole family are indeed quite odd, but why does it have to be this way just because you know epileptics who do believe? And I know perfectly well that knowing two people doesn't mean I have a scientific case, but should I ever need that pointing out again I'll be sure and see you.

In an experiment with patients suffering from an unusual form of epilepsy, researchers at the UC San Diego brain and perception laboratory found that the parts of the brain's temporal lobe - which the scientists quickly dubbed the "God module" - may affect how intensely a person responds to religious beliefs.

This article wasn't talking about your family.

quote:

And with regard to the 'laboratory-cum-church' comment, I was really trying to say that I believe those particular researchers to be entirely religious, just an attempt at lightening the atmosphere

The site I found these articles on was www.atheistempire.com

If you think that this is just a bunch of religous scientists trying to justify thier beliefs and this is religiously biased, well I disagree...
If I thought it was advocating religion I would not have posted it stick out tongue

I myself am not religious, and I dont think that the idea of part of your brain controlling religous thought means that god exists... read some of my other posts and I think you will see that.

I think you are missinterpretting what I was trying to say earlier, and have a different interpretation on those scientific findings that I do... thats fine. Just I dont want to be missunderstood when voicing my opinions, it may not have been worded very clearly... I might have to try again.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2004 08:37 PM
Syren
dreaming

Apologies TC, I think I must have gotten the wrong end of the stick erm

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 20th, 2004 10:25 PM
Turbo-Cajun
Big Baby Jesus

Its all good....

I must admit Im not used to being apologized to... I usually completely alienate the other person long before it gets to the apology stage. It feels funny...

but, you get what i was trying to say earlier now though, not that you agree, but you see where i was coming from?

Old Post Oct 21st, 2004 05:56 AM
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by Tired Hiker

I just want you to know that I printed out your signature and posted it on the wall behind my desk at work. I LOVE! that skit!

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Oct 21st, 2004 06:08 AM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote