KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Is probability subjective?

Is probability subjective?
Started by: DarkAge

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
and what is a "perfect world", raz?

Read Brave New World. It's the closest thing to a utopia that could ever be achieved.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2004 08:16 PM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

There are lots of perfect worlds. The only thing bad about them is that they are all imaginary.

If the world was perfect, there would be no sin in it, so anybody here who has ever done anything wrong would not exist in it.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2004 09:26 AM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkAge
Stronger than fear

Re: Re: Is probability subjective?

quote:
Originally posted by dave123
see, probability isn't exact. it's just a numberical value, based on what we know. if we knew everything, then every event could be predicted, and every event would have a value of 1 or 0.

since we don't know everything, we must use the given data to assess a value between 0 and 1 big grin

That's exactly what I meant. This person just expressed it better. I don't think anyone can refute this, can they?

"Be yourself. Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 02:37 AM
DarkAge is currently offline Click here to Send DarkAge a Private Message Find more posts by DarkAge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
peterKSL
In a different dimension

quote:
Originally posted by eleveninches
There are lots of perfect worlds. The only thing bad about them is that they are all imaginary.

If the world was perfect, there would be no sin in it, so anybody here who has ever done anything wrong would not exist in it.

I believe you are wrong.... because if the perfect world is without sin.. then the people there are stupid...don't you think??? people can't learn at all...think before you post next time.....

Feel me not.. See me not.. I'm just an illusion..

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 08:01 AM
peterKSL is currently offline Click here to Send peterKSL a Private Message Find more posts by peterKSL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

People that life in a "perfect" world don'T have to sin. Although again as in brave new world people should have the right to sin. This is all theoretical though a perfect world is not possible, and if you look at Nova Atlantis or Utopia you see that the idea of a perfect world changes too.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 11:10 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

Re: Is probability subjective?

quote:
Originally posted by DarkAge
I think it is. I don't believe there is any way the chance of something happening can be expressed as a number. In a world of infinite variables, how can events be reduced to something as primitive as numbers?

umm..no. you are quite wrong.
first of all...'infinite' itself is a concept. an 'infinit' ammount of variables does not exist. however large, it will ALWAYS stop somewhere. based on that, you can ALWAYS express a probability in number...a percentage, that's what it is. a fraction: the favorable cases of an event divided by the possible cases of the event, equals the probability of that event.

you learn this in school

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 08:02 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkAge
Stronger than fear

School is stupid.

"Be yourself. Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

Old Post Dec 28th, 2004 04:23 AM
DarkAge is currently offline Click here to Send DarkAge a Private Message Find more posts by DarkAge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

no...you are, without it

Old Post Dec 28th, 2004 09:49 AM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

Well Dexx you are PROBABLY right there is an ending amount of variables but if we don't know all the variables, and we probably don't, it is (IMO) impossible to give a numeric probability that is a 100% correct.

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Dec 28th, 2004 11:04 AM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

yes....but ..mathematically...you can work with infinity as a number.
with operations....the whole deal smile

Old Post Dec 28th, 2004 03:57 PM