KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » The Galactic Empire vs. The Covenant

The Galactic Empire vs. The Covenant
Started by: Lord Simus

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

I didn't see that either.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 12:15 AM
Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

And are we to disclude the fact that every piece of EU, (sighs) prior to AOTC, clearly shows, that every stormtrooper with the exception of Thrawn's clones, are men who were recruited or forced into service, and all of which came from their momma?

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 12:18 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

This is actually a good battle.

The Empire has the numbers (as far as we know) because the Covenant has no record of population. However, they are formed of multiple races and species, such as the Elites, Brutes, Drones, and Hunters. They do not have one simply recruiting pool. For whenever the Covenant cross another race, they use a tactic. Conquer and control.

Covenant lore dictates that the Elites and the Prophets once engaged in a war. However, they set aside differences, and set up the first caste. The Elites would serve as the generals and infantrymen, while the Prophets led politically, and religiously, governing the Covenant. And so, one after another, the Prophets' technology combined with the Elites' tactics, the Covenant fought and conquered each race. The Grunts, the Hunters, the Drones, the Jackals, and the Brutes.

As far as we know, the space battles would be in Imperial favor. Then you will couple this with their superweapons, and so forth. The Covenant has mass-fleets, but their capital ships are weaker than an Imperial Star Destroyer.

However, the Imperials will not so easily win on ground battles. Though they have immense numbers, the Empire in essence, are only humans. An Elite is far stronger than any mere clone, and is worth about a dozen Stormtroopers. Then, climb the Covenant's power rankings. A single Brute would decimate an Imperial squadron, and so would a single Hunter. Perhaps only the 501st Legion would stand a chance. In sheer ground battles, the Empire would probably lose.

Only would Palpatine's cadre of Dark Side users prove up to be a very hard fight. Then, you have Tartarus. Energy swords on Halo are, for all intents and purposes, their version of the lightsaber. They perform instant-kills and burn through a lot. Tartarus is far stronger than any Hunter or any Brute. Couple that with his energy shield, and he is a very dangerous foe. Vader's lack of speed, coupled with his own inferior strength, would perhaps lose to Tartarus. Only the Force would save him.

And back to space. High Charity is not easily found. They were only discovered when the Prophets decided to reveal High Charity on to Delta Halo.

The Space Battles - Imperial favor.
The Ground Battles - Covenant favor.

In the end, the Empire wins.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 12:42 AM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Glentract
The Truest Sith Lord

Wow. Dude, where have you been all this forum's life?

I must say I gisagree with you on the ground battles though. An ISD could knock out any Covenant from Orbit, making ground battles unecessary.

Also, in pure troops, I think you are underrating them against the Elite's.

Wikipedia states that the average unshielded Elite is about equal to a human marine, except with better weapons. No human marine is going to stand a chance against 12 Stormtroopers.

The Convenant also have less mobile weapons platforms from what I can tell. I'd like to see an AT-ST rip up covenant forces. A Banshee would fall against a Tie Fighter too.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 12:58 AM
Click here to Send Darth_Glentract a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Glentract Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Definetly, you rule the skies, you rule it all.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 12:59 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Wikipedia is wrong, since in Fall of Reach and other sources have shown that Elites are as strong as a Spartan in physical combat. This makes them -much- stronger than a simple marine.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 01:01 AM
Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

An AT-AT couldn't defeat a Wraith tank. A TIE fighter has less shielding than a banshee even does. I'd not warrant the Imperials to the skies. And wikipedia can be edited by anyone. I've played the game. A single Elite can wipe out six or seven Helljumpers, which are the greatest of the Humans. A Brute could crush any contingent of Stormtroopers I'd care to name, and a Hunter could possibly do worse.

Imagine what a GROUP of Brutes would do.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 01:03 AM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Curious though... covenant energy shields are easily affected by their own heat based weapons. Blaster bolts are pretty on par with that. Elite shields won't work very well, and the rate of fire for a Wraith or Banshee is much lower than their Imperial equivalents.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 01:06 AM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

The shields are affected by projectiles - but moreso - by 'plasma' based weaponry, which is the practical foundation for Forerunner technology. A blaster bolt would be less. It's not 'heat' that effects the shields.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 01:08 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

But it is energy, people tend to forget the difference between Lead bullets and Laser bolts.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 01:08 AM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Then, you have Jackals. Jackals are trained snipers and assassins. Their senses are far more acute than any human, or clone. Each is also a nice shot with a Covenant sniper-rifle, insinuating they are crack marksmen. Then, you have Drones. Drones are incredibly agile and hard to hit when airborn, and they fire in quick successions. Brutes are all around, the best. They are quick, agile, and strong. To a level above the Elites. Any Brute, I'm afraid, could kill a contingent of stormtroopers. Any. And then you have Brute Honorguards... and eesh... I'd hate to be an Imperial.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 01:10 AM
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Actually, a blaster bolt is charged gas particles discharged from the gun. The laser is actually an afterimage of the actual blast. And blaster bolts do considerable damage with heat-like effects because excited energy tends to do that to what it touches. Examples include Han Solo's heavy blaster in the dock ANH shoot out (Look at the size of the blaster bolt holes), the gun of a speeder in ROTJ splitting a small tree with ease, etc.

Considering that a standard pistol can take its toll on all personal energy fields used in Halo, a blaster carbine would take them down in a hot second.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 01:10 AM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

And then you tend to forget. The Stormtroopers aren't the best shots on the planet. They'd actually have to 'hit' the targets. The Stormtrooper armor is also very weak. You'd have Covenant firing back at you with equally deadly weapons. Not to mention that, again I stress this, the Empire would lose in melee skirmishes. They are not stronger than an Elite.

Hopefully, the Stormtroopers would be smart enough to never do that, but they seem to lack intelligence... Lol.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 01:13 AM
Darth_Glentract
The Truest Sith Lord

How many forces do the Covenant have?

Also, are there any specs on the Covenant tanks?

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 01:17 AM
Click here to Send Darth_Glentract a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Glentract Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Touche on the latter points, but the idea that STs can shoot is poor sampling based on one scene: the shootout in ANH in the hangar of the Death Star. And really, it's pretty evident that there was never any intent to kill the intruders, since a tracking device was planted on the Falcon. The Imperials were smart; they wanted to find and destroy the rebels.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 01:18 AM
FE Expert
Fire Emblem expert

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Tangible God
When the Hell did we see arrows penetrate armour in that film?

I saw rocks knocking them out, not arrows punching through their armour.

www.st-v-sw.net has a page called Invincible Stormtrooper "Armor" where it clearly shows where stormtrooper armor had been pierced by arrows.

Name a number between 1 and 10
Pandemonium

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 11:42 AM
Click here to Send FE Expert a Private Message Find more posts by FE Expert Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Don't flash that Trekkie fanboy site around here.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 04:13 PM
FE Expert
Fire Emblem expert

As far as we're concerned, it's the closest to neutrality site that we got about Star Trek versus Star Wars. Stardestroyer.net is the most rabidly pro-Wars site for any pro-Wars site.

Name a number between 1 and 10
Pandemonium

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 10:43 PM
Click here to Send FE Expert a Private Message Find more posts by FE Expert Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Yeah, please, don't post sites that are based on VS themes when trying to prove a point.

None of it's real, it's fictional and can be effectively debated only by reason and fact, not fanboyism.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 10:44 PM
xxxpoppunker182

i dont know much about halo so i asked one of my friends that obsessed and he said that the covenant would activate halo destroying all organic life in the entre universe causeing a stalemate. but i though ti'd just throw that out there.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2005 06:19 AM
Click here to Send xxxpoppunker182 a Private Message Find more posts by xxxpoppunker182 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote