KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Marka Ragnos and Dooku versus Sidious

Marka Ragnos and Dooku versus Sidious
Started by: Stealth Moose

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

no u

Old Post Jun 30th, 2011 06:38 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SlightlyFlaccid
Restricted

Account Restricted

You are wise to fear me. See that you remember that.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2011 06:40 PM
Click here to Send SlightlyFlaccid a Private Message Find more posts by SlightlyFlaccid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nephthys
We don't need proof. The fact that he could have done so means that we cannot say he did it without aid with any degree of certainty or proof.
Skewed logic.

Per this line of thinking, we can assume that every Jedi/Sith in the history of the order used artifacts to increase their power. After all, there's no proof that they didn't, right?

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jun 30th, 2011 06:42 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SlightlyFlaccid
Restricted

Account Restricted

G007
Skewed logic.

Per this line of thinking, we can assume that every Jedi/Sith in the history of the order used artifacts to increase their power. After all, there's no proof that they didn't, right?

I appreciate the back up, but I said this nonsense already, and in a much more appropriate manner.

Nevertheless, join me and together we shall end the oppression of ze German!!1!

Old Post Jun 30th, 2011 06:43 PM
Click here to Send SlightlyFlaccid a Private Message Find more posts by SlightlyFlaccid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by SlightlyFlaccid
I appreciate the back up, but I said this nonsense already, and in a much more appropriate manner.

Nevertheless, join me and together we shall end the oppression of ze German!!1!
Actually, you backed me up. Therefore, you will join my forces.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2011 06:48 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Galan007
Skewed logic.

We could....... except they have no access to those types of artifacts and no way of obtaining them. Sidious does, which is why we can question his off-screen feats in such a way.

And we do question pretty much all feats that happen off-screen of having the posibility of not being done under the users own power.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2011 06:49 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

We could....... except they have no access to those types of artifacts and no way of obtaining them.
Prove they didn't.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2011 06:50 PM
SlightlyFlaccid
Restricted

Account Restricted

G007
Actually, you backed me up. Therefore, you will join my forces.

Yeah, no.
You have no forces. I have +7 charisma and +9 intellect, which is clearly greater than your stats. (Not to mention ze +9.4 penis inches teehehehe.)

quote:
N.
We could....... except they have no access to those types of artifacts and no way of obtaining them. Sidious does, which is why we can question his off-screen feats in such a way.

Nah. Nihilus, for example, was the co-leader of an impressive and sizeable faction of Sith warriors and was trained on Malachor V, a legendary repository of Sith artifacts and teachings, right? Ergo, I say that not only did he have a giant Sith focusing crystal, he had at least six. All of his feats are therefore suspect and can no longer be considered the product of unaided skill.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2011 06:53 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by SlightlyFlaccid
Yeah, no.
You have no forces. I have +7 charisma and +9 intellect, which is clearly greater than your stats. (Not to mention ze +9.4 penis inches teehehehe.)

Old Post Jun 30th, 2011 07:02 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

quote:
Nah. Nihilus, for example, was the co-leader of an impressive and sizeable faction of Sith warriors and was trained on Malachor V, a legendary repository of Sith artifacts and teachings, right?

Teachings, yes, but I don't recall anything ever said about artifacts.

quote:
Prove they didn't.

Occum's Razor.

Theres no evidence that they did, ergo theres nothing to suggest they did. Palpatine on the other hand is seen with Sith Artifacts and practiced Alchemy. Its just as likely that he did use them as he didn't. QED.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2011 07:02 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Theres no evidence that they did, ergo theres nothing to suggest they did.
...Just like there's no evidence to suggest Palpatine used more than just that one crystal that one time?

Old Post Jun 30th, 2011 07:05 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Er, yeah there is.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2011 07:05 PM
SlightlyFlaccid
Restricted

Account Restricted

N.
Er, yeah there is.

Where?

Old Post Jun 30th, 2011 07:07 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

He has access to them and they are known to help Force stuff up hardcore. Logic dictates he wouldn't throw them into a closet and forget about them.

Occums Razor basically.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2011 07:15 PM
SlightlyFlaccid
Restricted

Account Restricted

N.
He has access to them and they are known to help Force stuff up hardcore. Logic dictates he wouldn't throw them into a closet and forget about them.

Occums Razor basically.

People bandy that thing about like it's ironclad. Occam's Razor is nothing more than a suggestion that people should tend to lean towards the "simplest" explanations, not that "the simplest explanations are always correct."

That Palpatine possesses certain Sith artifacts does not mean he uses them, particularly when much of his agenda simply seeks to retrieve these objects and keep them out of the hands of his rivals.

Where is the evidence that Palpatine possessed other Sith focusing crystals beyond the one we saw in Sithisis? Then, where is the evidence that he used them?

Likewise, one could argue that a simple explanation for Nihilus's achievements would be that, Nihilus, eager to devour his adversaries and wanting them as vulnerable as possible would scour Sith strongholds seeking to confiscate weapons and artifacts that would enhance his reach and, therefore, his ability to eat. Since these artifacts clearly existed and he had the means and motive to seize them, he did, and therefore used him.

Q.E.D., all of Nihilus's feats are suspect because I say it's the simplest idea.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2011 07:21 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I have access to a gun. Doesn't mean I'll ever use it to kill my neighbor.

And how is that Occum's Razor? Your opinion is that Palpatine used more crystals than just the one that was shown in Sithisis, despite this never being mentioned in any canon sources. The burden of proof lies on you (opinion =/= proof.)

Last edited by Galan007 on Jun 30th, 2011 at 07:26 PM

Old Post Jun 30th, 2011 07:22 PM
SlightlyFlaccid
Restricted

Account Restricted

And how is that Occum's razor? Your opinion is that Palpatine used more crystals than just the one in Sithisis, despite this never being mentioned in any canon sources (afaik). The burden of proof lies on you.

^ This cuts to the essential bits of the issue.
Nephthys has, to my knowledge, been unabashedly critical of Palpatine's character and abilities since day one. He is attempting to misuse Occam's Razor to cast doubt on the Emperor's standing in the hierarchy of power and to shift the burden of proof to his opponents. Pretty simple, when you think about it.

Well, that's what Occam's Razor dictates, anyways.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2011 07:25 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

quote:

But if you were trying to kill your neighbour, just as Palpatine is trying to blunt the Jedi's force perceptions, youd use the gun, just as he'd use help, because its the easiest and best way to do it and you probably couldn't do it without the guns help.

riiiiiiiiight?

Old Post Jun 30th, 2011 07:27 PM
SlightlyFlaccid
Restricted

Account Restricted

N.
But if you were trying to kill your neighbour, just as Palpatine is trying to blunt the Jedi's force perceptions, youd use the gun, just as he'd use help, because its the easiest and best way to do it and you probably couldn't do it without the guns help.

riiiiiiiiight?

I'd say it would, actually, be pretty stupid of Palpatine to frequently make use of Sith focusing crystals. He's using the Quey'tek technique to cloak his presence in the Force. What would stop the Order from sensing the crystal, since Palpatine is conducting said rituals on Coruscant, which is home to the Jedi Temple, the most powerful Force nexus in the galaxy currently occupied by hundreds of Jedi Knights?

But, even if we disregard that obvious fact, I must ask: Where is the proof that Palpatine had access to other Sith focusing crystals?

Old Post Jun 30th, 2011 07:30 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Your opinion is that Palpatine used more crystals than just the one that was shown in Sithisis, despite this never being mentioned in any canon sources. The burden of proof lies on you (opinion =/= proof.)
Ignore, much?

Old Post Jun 30th, 2011 07:30 PM